Live Q&A Chat with Obsidian tomorrow 3 p.m PDT

I love the idea of not having technical terms of good and evil. Not sure if I like it in a fantasy D&D setting, but I am pretty sick of the alignment system and how everything is good or bad. I expect great things from Obsidian and I bet they'll turn this into something truly unique and inspiring.

I suspect you miss the point. You don't have to have alignment to play a douchebag. Douchebag is a state of mind, not a tick on a character sheet. xD

No I actually don't miss the point at all. All these games that have come out recently force you to either be good or evil, every decision you make moves you a point towards good or a point towards evil. Examples being Dragon Age, Mass effect, my point is that a lot of actions that are taken or that I take having nothing to do with good or evil. They're just simply actions that my character would do, I'm just tired of being pushed in one direction or the other by gaming companies who feel the need to have every little action you take move your alignment.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

No? Because Good and Evil are concepts that entirly lie in the eye of the beholder it's not something good to start from if you want realistic personalities.

I'm not even remotely interested in realism. If I want that I can go to work or wander up the road. I want to play a larger-than-life character, and if that means an archetypical villain then so be it. Am not interested in woolly, muesli-eating BS about relativity, TBH.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Does that include pay pal backers of at least 20k?

More like 50-60k

60k would be paypal backers all together, we were at about 40k before we started today and he said 60k during the podcast so that's 20k for today.

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

No? Because Good and Evil are concepts that entirly lie in the eye of the beholder it's not something good to start from if you want realistic personalities.

Yes, but society itself treats different actions as either good or evil. I certainly understand the argument that good and evil are subjective. However, go cap a police officer and see how many people want to execute you for your 'evil' actions. Just because you can make arguments about good or evil regarding theoretical situations doesn't mean that the people populating the game will completely abandon the idea of good and evil and the vast majority of them will believe that they, personally, know the difference at a glance.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not even remotely interested in realism. If I want that I can go to work or wander up the road. I want to play a larger-than-life character, and if that means an archetypical villain then so be it. Am not interested in woolly, muesli-eating BS about relativity, TBH.

Why exactly do you play Obsidian games then?

Yes, but society itself treats different actions as either good or evil. I certainly understand the argument that good and evil are subjective. However, go cap a police officer and see how many people want to execute you for your 'evil' actions. Just because you can make arguments about good or evil regarding theoretical situations doesn't mean that the people populating the game will completely abandon the idea of good and evil and the vast majority of them will believe that they, personally, know the difference at a glance.

They're not. I think you misunderstood what Josh said. They will not approach WRITING them in good/evil terms. The charachters themselves have values and may see certain things as good and evil depending on them.

Edited by C2B

Josh Sawyer:

We will have very little level scaling and almost entirely in critical path areas since there's a lot of variability in when players approach them. Especially when it comes to optional content and general exploration, there will be no level-scaling. In this regard, Fallout: New Vegas might be a fair comparison.

:facepalm:

Indeed. Now, if critical path areas encompass half of the game..

To be clear, are you suggesting that the NPCs, from a rural midwife to a joinable wizard, won't have clear ideas of good and evil? Some might take a more philosophical view. Others will absolutely *know* what is good and evil. As concepts, good and evil exist and will need to be addressed within the game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To be clear, are you suggesting that the NPCs, from a rural midwife to a joinable wizard, won't have clear ideas of good and evil? Some might take a more philosophical view. Others will absolutely *know* what is good and evil. As concepts, good and evil exist and will need to be addressed within the game.

Read my last post. Ofc they will have concepts of good and evil depending on their values. Obsidian will just not approach them WRITING in good and evil terms.

They never have before in their other games as well.

Edited by C2B

you are aware exactly this is the core of all obsidian games yes?

Read my last post.

No thanks, if it's all the same to you.

sonsofgygax.JPG

you are aware exactly this is the core of all obsidian games yes?

I'm awfully sorry if my concept of what constitutes enjoyment differs from yours, but I've been playing their games since Interplay and don't seem to have run into the awful dichotomy you seem to suggest should make me go somewhere else.

sonsofgygax.JPG

From my play of New Vegas, I think Obsidian can do it the right way. If they use the same philosophy, then Monte can be a bastard, I can be a goody two shoes, and folks will respond to each of us accordingly without overtly saying who's good or bad.

Obsidian Plays

Why the hostility?

And again, Obsidian always played with grey charachters. They never had a writing approach of good/evil.

Because you were patronising and looking down your nose. If you can't see it then accept it was there.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I say it's wine, C2B. You should see him when he hits the hard stuff. lol :Cant's guffawing icon: Seriously, I just don't want it so morally cleansed that actions have no meaning at all.

EDIT: If you ever make it to So Cal, Monte, I'm buying you a beer. hehe

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays

Why the hostility?

And again, Obsidian always played with grey charachters. They never had a writing approach of good/evil.

Which is why I've always loved their games. And man where were we with the donations? 136,000 at the very least so far today with... well EST time 5 hours till midnight.

I say it's wine, C2B. You should see him when he hits the hard stuff. lol :Cant's guffawing icon: Seriously, I just don't want it so morally cleansed that actions have no meaning at all.

It won't be. I'm pretty sure Sawyer meant exactly what you said about New Vegas. There will be morals. It just won't be morals from the perspective of the writer, but ones from the perspective of the charachter. I think that is what he meant.

Lol my comment got asked woot :p