If i have remembered correctly you can choose between a Steam and a DRM-free GOG version. So if the GOG version is DRM-free what is the advantage of the Steam version? I haven't used neither yet...

I am aware of the possibility that this could be a very stupid question, but i have absolutly no clue.

Edited by HumanFlesh+5

Trum, trum, terum tum tum - the landsknecht and his gaudy war drum.

Some people don't have any problems with Steam, and like having all their games in one place.

i think almost everyone has his games in one place, which is his computer.

I like the convenience of the Steam library though. And I also like being able to talk to friends easily while i'm playing games.

Steam has things like achievements and a single unified client through which through which they can manage their downloads, friends' list and stuff. People seem to value it for that though I personally will be going for the GOG version.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Steam will automatically update the game, whereas on GOG you will (most likely) have to manually update the game.

However I'm definitely getting the GOG version. I am not a fan of steam. I prefer the old school way games were installed and managed.

Steam has things like achievements and a single unified client through which through which they can manage their downloads, friends' list and stuff. People seem to value it for that though I personally will be going for the GOG version.

what about mod support. will you have disadvantages using GOG because you haven't a platform like steam for distribution?

Trum, trum, terum tum tum - the landsknecht and his gaudy war drum.

Same here. GOG has a downloader that breaks up the game into smaller parts which is great for people with limited data plans like myself.

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

what about mod support. will you have disadvantages using GOG because you haven't a platform like steam for distribution?

Well you will have the PE site on nexus and your own ingenuity. And Google. I mean how have we managed to mod games before Steam came and saved us?

• Like 3

Say no to popamole!

As others have said there are other places for mods, it'll be up to modders where they will upload their mods. Plus, you can add most games to your Steam client anyway even if you didn't buy through them.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

As everyone else has already mentioned, Steam seems to have more of a social aspect to it, whereas with Gog you can happily grab your game and skip off, no strings attached.

I too prefer Gog because I hate DRM of any kind and Gog often offers a lot of extra things to optionally download along with the game (maps, sound tracks, manuals etc). I don't really care about achievements and don't have many friends who game so there isn't any point in that for me either. I also like having a choice about installing patches/updates, that way I have versions of previous ones so I can easily go back to an earlier patch if I need to.

• Like 2

Steam simplifies a lot things and allows you to install your games anywhere without the installation media, which is something GOG.com also offers. Steam also removes some manual tasks, such as updating and having to manually install mods by extracting stuff to folders. You can run Steam in offline mode too, but you can't lend games to your friends per se, as you'd have to share your login info.

Steam is decent enough, but personally I prefer to run my games without a separate client. It's just becoming very common for developers/publishers to use Steam, so playing modern games without it isn't so easy anymore.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

If you go with Steam, Valve owns your game.

• Like 1

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

If you go with Steam, Valve owns your game.

Um... well, technically they don't. Obsidian owns the game, you just purchase a license to use a copy. Valve can control how you use their service though, up to and incuding making your game licenses housed within their system unusable if you break their EULA (End-User License Agreement).

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I generally only use Steam if forced (grrrr...) or to get good discounts. Tip; Never EVER pay full price.

If there's no difference, as would be this case, I obviously would prefer the GOG method over Steam.

So yeah, GOG here for me. It would be interesting to see once PE is done how the shift is. I kinda expect the more hardcore RPG-fans go GOG, but Steam still getting more copies than GOG... Time will tell.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Since some form of modding seems to be on already, it may be an advantage to have one of each. Hmm, two questions then:

-If one has pledged for two downloads, can one pick one for each (GOG n Steam)?

-Can one install both on one and the same pc?

I hazard a guess that the answer is yes to both questions, but confirmation is always welcome. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Using Steam streamlines your updating and other game management tasks. And it does so with little input from you, a lot can be and is automated. That is certainly a plus for people who want things to be taken care of nicely and be saved some trouble when the installation / update fail. If you get the game from GoG, you are pretty much on manual pilot. I do not see installing and starting the game will be much of a problem. If you do run into technical issues, you can always come back on here to ask other players and the support staff for help. Instead I think the lack of DRM and the 'you buy it, you keep it' model is a key area of difference between GoG and Steam.

Steam has some useful functionality:

Cloud saves, Steam uploads and downloads your saves to their servers.

File Integrity Check, Steam checks for errors and re-downloads any corrupted files.

Auto-update, Steam (unless you tell it not to) will update your game.

Screenshots, Steam takes screenshots of the game and auto uploads them to your profile so others can view them.

In-Game, Steam has an overlay that allows you to use their messaging service on top of a game.

GoG uses its own installers (so does Steam), because nearly every game it sells is old, there are issues with many of the original installers. GoG also makes available artwork, soundtracks, manuals, maps, and various other content.

I have no problems with Steam, either morally or technically, I have a good deal of games on there. They have some nice offers from time to time and as far as mandatory platforms go they're rather unintrusive and reliable, once you've registered/downloaded your game you can play offline if you want. They have nice game management features, patches are automatically applied and they have good support for multiplayer games (by which I mean L4D, cause I don't really play other multiplayer games >.>). They have a large and vibrant community (with all the good and bad that comes with large gaming communities) so I've you're a very social gamer you can get that too (I'm not). Their mod support is very userfriendly and hassle free too (for more complex mods that need extra hacks and stuff you still have to go around steam with 3rd party programs though). I also like Valve as a company, so I don't mind supporting them.

That being said, I'm getting PE on GOG. I like the service they offer, and while I like Valve, I love CD Projekt and their anti-DRM, consumer-friendly mentality.

I will be opting for GOG so I can own the right to use the license and not a "subscription" to the right to use the license (and I have 686 games currently on Steam).

I only play SP games so the social aspects afforded by the Steam community are lost on me, although I can see the attraction to those who play a lot of MP. Obsidian's choice to offer a DRM-free version was very much a deciding factor in the level of support I ultimately gave to the project.

Thanks Obsidian!

One thing I really like about Steam is it's multi platform support. More and more games come as SteamPlay titles, which means, I can start a game of The Witcher on my Windows PC at home and continue it on my Macbook with OS X later at the same point. I automatically own both OS X and Windows versions and saves are synced.

Other than that, there's one main reason for using Steam, and that's Steam sales.