hmm that is nice to hear norolim! Didn't see that. If they make a long game 60 h +, then I will be happy for expansion.

Did they announce how the expansion pack is going to be financed? I am just curious :p I hope from projected sales of the original game/their own investment, because that would increase my faith in obsidian even more.

We even don't know many about the basic game. Now they are talk about the expansion. Really make me confuse.

• Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I hate this idea. It begs the question, what resources will be spent to make this expansion? If it is with the pool of KS backer funds then it's a crap ea-like move in that it suddenly limits content while utilizing resources from the entire backer community. Why not just wait two months for the additional content? We need answers, and at least now I'm a bit disappointed in this announcement. I've been saying that their average backer value is way lower than similar projects, and this is a stupid way to get more funds out of the current pool of backers.

Yeah, this is an expansion, not DLC. They aren't going to be working on it while working on the base game- it will be probably be started after they're done, like DLC should be. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Now granted, if they deliberately took finished content from the game and made that into the expansion, then that would be unacceptable. But it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Edited by YourVoiceisAmbrosia

I hate this idea. It begs the question, what resources will be spent to make this expansion? If it is with the pool of KS backer funds then it's a crap ea-like move in that it suddenly limits content while utilizing resources from the entire backer community. Why not just wait two months for the additional content? We need answers, and at least now I'm a bit disappointed in this announcement. I've been saying that their average backer value is way lower than similar projects, and this is a stupid way to get more funds out of the current pool of backers.

What is wrong with you people? We get an EXPANSION! It's great news, and all you can think of is how Obsidian is robbing you of your money and how they aren't better than bloody EA. Have at least a little trust and some decency.

All the funding that we receive from Kickstarter and PayPal will be used to make the base game - No money raised will be used for funding the expansion in any way.

Feargus: Yes, we are going to fund it ourselves and from the sales we get from Project Eternity when it comes available - not from Kickstarter funds. I don't think we will do a Kickstarter just for it, I'd rather see about funding the sequel that way - if you guys will still have us.

Edited by Tigranes
Angry

That give me a feeling:they are focus on how to make people upgrade pledge, not focus on how to make game greater. Edited by bronzepoem

For the last time, the expansion is going to be made with money/profits from actual sales of Project Eternity. They are giving access to the expansion at higher pledge tiers as a THANKYOU. You are not buying it, and the kickstater is not funding it. Clear?

• Like 1

My understanding from the beginning was that they where doing a KS in order to make a CRPG and use there profits to make expansions and other games and hopefully break out of the publisher/developer model that most companies are currently slaving under. This expansion announcement shouldn't be a surprise to anyone given there originally stated intent for the KS and the direction that they where aiming for from the start. All this should be is a reaffirmation of what they all ready stated.

blah blah blah

No, I'm sorry but a lack of maturity will not dissuade me from expressing my opinion about a game I've funded. It's still a dishonest practice, because it promises something that may rely on commercial success of the game which they have no way of guaranteeing.

I can't believe they are trying to get more money out of people during a fundraising campaign. The nerve!

But seriously, while I'd love to see a (proper) XPac, it looks like due to the tier setup as they are now I'll likely have to purchase it after it comes out.

blah blah blah

No, I'm sorry but a lack of maturity will not dissuade me from expressing my opinion about a game I've funded. It's still a dishonest practice, because it promises something that may rely on commercial success of the game which they have no way of guaranteeing.

See, this is why we can't have anything nice.

That's because you gave an objection, it was refuted substantively, and now you have a different objection.

Anyway, personal attacks are not kosher guys.

Companies plan their future project always several years in future. So game companies usually plan expansion packs and time frame to do them in same time as they plan main game. And they do that because they need constantly have products to sell (to publishers or gamers) or they must close their doors. These expansions packs don't cut anything from orginal games. And for Obsidian giving their next product as reward, and so cutting their future income, to fund this game, shows at least to me that Obsidian has great desire to make this game as good as possible.

Of course when Obsidian promises their future product as reward they of course put themselves in postion where they can fail to delivere their promises, but fundraising has always such risks. And it's to backers to decide if they have enough faith to raiser him/her/it to keep his/her/its promises.

Edited by Elerond

To be fair, you can blame modern games for why people are nervous. Whenever you hear that new content was coming out before the game was even released, it was almost gauranteed that it was something cut from the game and companies were trying to nickel and dime people. Most modern games are not complete anymore, you have to shell out the cash for the game, then MORE money for DLC to get the complete story or something way overpriced dlc. Day one DLC is just a rippoff. I can think of only a few games modern games that felt like the DLC were not rippoffs. Borderlands and Fallout 3, to bad I cannot say the same for skyrim, the new house making DLC feels like horse armour again. Like I said, I do have faith in obsidian though.

• Like 2

what resources will be spent to make this expansion? If it is with the pool of KS backer funds then it's a crap ea-like move in that it suddenly limits content while utilizing resources from the entire backer community. Why not just wait two months for the additional content? We need answers, and at least now I'm a bit disappointed in this announcement. I've been saying that their average backer value is way lower than similar projects, and this is a stupid way to get more funds out of the current pool of backers.

What is wrong with you people?

All the funding that we receive from Kickstarter and PayPal will be used to make the base game - No money raised will be used for funding the expansion in any way.

Feargus: Yes, we are going to fund it ourselves and from the sales we get from Project Eternity when it comes available - not from Kickstarter funds. I don't think we will do a Kickstarter just for it, I'd rather see about funding the sequel that way - if you guys will still have us.

No I fail to see any sound counter argument to my point.

Because you didn't read the above.

Edited by Tigranes
Calm, happy thoughts

Because you didn't read the above.

Actually you're right. I did not read it, and thought it was a response from KS that I had already read. I didn't look at what it actually said. Since I will not back at that level, it will not bother me in anyway. I rescind my comments. Mistakes happen and I apologize for the incorrect assumption. However, you all have acted in an incredibly rude manner instead of replying in a mature fashion, and it really is a shame that even after a moderator comments you continued to act in such a way.

Anyway,a better update #18 is needed.

That's because you gave an objection, it was refuted substantively, and now you have a different objection.

That's how a debate works, and it'd be better to say even if we didn't make profits we'll still fund this.

Oh, it's fine to raise a second objection, but you'd need to accept that your first objection was not sound, not argue that nobody has been able to refute your objections.

Regarding your second objection, well, it's obviously nonsensical to say that they'll make an expansion even if they didn't turn a profit. Because that would imply they would either 'save' their KS $ for it, which is way more problematic, or that they will act in a financially reckless manner (by promising a product that wouldn't begin production until 2 years down the line).

Should they not have promised an expansion pack at all, because it is a tricky thing? That is the one objection I would tentatively agree to. I want to see them fundraise as much as possible, but I don't want them to tie themselves down with too complicated promises. Free copy of W2? Fine. Expansion pack? Not sure - I don't see a huge problem given that an expansion pack could easily be produced for half a million or less (given the original P:E budget), though.

Edit: Oh, and all the "u r troll" really doesn't help anyone, guys. Nobody's gonna say "You're right, I AM a troll! OH GOD" and expire in a puff of repentant smoke. :p

• Like 1

To be fair, you can blame modern games for why people are nervous. Whenever you hear that new content was coming out before the game was even released, it was almost gauranteed that it was something cut from the game and companies were trying to nickel and dime people. Most modern games are not complete anymore, you have to shell out the cash for the game, then MORE money for DLC to get the complete story or something way overpriced dlc. Day one DLC is just a rippoff. I can think of only a few games modern games that felt like the DLC were not rippoffs. Borderlands and Fallout 3, to bad I cannot say the same for skyrim, the new house making DLC feels like horse armour again. Like I said, I do have faith in obsidian though.

This explains my feelings perfectly. I would also like to admit publicly that I believed in Dragon Age. Bioware, creators of Balder's Gate which is a series I greatly enjoyed, promised me largely what Obsidian is promising now. I thought I was getting a great new franchise based on the ideas behind games I enjoyed and you know what, I thought DA:O was pretty good. But when they announced the expansion before I felt like I had really played the game, that's when I knew the ship was sinking. I know Obsidian is not Bioware. I know they have a great track record, but I have been disappointed before. So please everyone, excuse the fear, both from myself and from others.