New Vegas, for my sins

Cantousent

One day I will replay NV and get to all the DLC's, not to mention Sawyer's mod, which I downloaded but never tried. I love the game but I played it so much, sooooo obsessively, it's going to take a while before I can go back to it. Either that, or maybe I'm afraid if I start again, I'm going to become that obsessed again. :lol:

Glad you're having fun with it, Cant ... it's a great game!

I felt like that after Skyrim, the game was supposed to last me a year but I just blitzed it like an addict for three or four months, seen it all now. Also yay for Sawyer's mod, it makes the game insanely difficult at some points :thumbsup:

Skyrim burns out a lot faster than Vegas. Replayed NV many times, hit Skyrim once and was done. The landscape's beautiful and all, but the gameplay is bland and the writing is... well. You know. Beth's philosophy of letting or even forcing a player not to RP and to do absolutely everything with one character is one of the worst aspects of their game design.

I'm stuck in Old World Blues. those damn scorpitrons are too durable, and I'm spending tons of ammo on them... even 100% Sneak can't save me :(

I know, right?! Turns out, I asked MCA and apparently they had to nerf sneak somehow for memory reasons (it's on the twatters somewhere,) don't know why they'd have to do that on PC.

Personally, I think [the raider loot] is more useful, as it's a way to get a Gauss Rifle rather early in the game, and it doesn't have the finite-ammo issuse that the AB does.

You blaspheme! The Alien Blaster rules all. Actually, I don't think any one weapon is all that awesome, although I've probably used the sniper rifle more than any other weapon in the game. I didn't really set out to get the blaster. I mean, I knew it was there, which is why I made the quick detour, but I was doing that return to sender quest and that takes you all over the map. I was in the area and stopped by for it. That finite ammo will certainly last long enough to get me to the gauss rifle, but I won't use the blaster for a while anyway. I'll just stick with the hunting rifle or say.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guest Slinky

Too bad Bozar isn't the murdergun of doom it was in Fallout 2, I would use that otherwise. Loved it on FO2.

But antimateriel rifle is a good replacement, BOOM and laugh at the flying parts of deathclaws.

Okay, I'm level 14 now and I'm getting ready to make a little detour to this mythical place called Utah. My first dlc. Huzzah!

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I finished Lonesome Road again yesterday. Have to say, by now I find Ulysses way of talking really annoying. The breaks after each word and when he throws in words into his sentences, etc. this just doesn't feel to me like someone would talk like that. I didn't noticed this the first two times playing that DLC, but now it somehow became too obvious to me.

Started playing Honest Hearts again too. It is my 4th or 5th playthrough and I still totally love the enviroment. Always after leaving Zion, the Mojave looks so contrastless and a little boring to me... :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have to say that I'm really impressed with Honest Hearts. The area is beautiful, although I don't think it's any prettier than Red Rock. Of course, Zion does have a lot of water, which is quite nice. The computer terminal diary of the poor bastard who lost two sets of wives and children is compelling. Absolutely wondefully executed. The quests are a little weird, but it played pretty well. I also like that you really don't try to be a bleeding heart idiot and make friends with the white legs. They haven't offered to talk so far. They killed all my companions at the very beginning. No soul searching nonsense. They identified themselves as murderous enemies and I haven't had a second thought treating them as such. Very well done. New Vegas is truly a work of art.

• Like 2

Obsidian Plays

I still need to play Lonesome Road, but between Dead Money and Honest Heart, I can't make up my mind which one is my favourite. Each brought something special to my "gaming experience".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I liked Honest Hearts. Especially the fact it rained. I was so excited/happy when that happened. Maybe I'm weird tho. It does remind of Red Rock, but IIRC, it had an overall paler tone to it.

Dang it, stop tempting me. I must get at least one BL2 chr. to lvl50 first....

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can't put to words how impressed, and the ways I'm impressed, by Honest Hearts. I just finished and I sat looking at my screen after the summation. It is the story of redemption. It isn't a great gaming experience. It's a great literary experience. I actually found it personally moving. Games are not just entertainment. They are art.

EDIT: well... I finished it about a half hour ago or something like that. I lose track of time sometimes this late at night. I wonder why. lol

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays

Started Old World Blues yesterday. My second playthrough. I still think the dialog in the beginning is way too long. That's around 20 or 30 minutes just dialog from the intro slideshow till you actually move your character for the very first time. At some point I started to fast-read the sentences and jumped through it. I would like to say it ain't so, but truth is, I even did it on my first playthrough. And after the talk is done, you pretty much can start talking at least the same amount of text now manually with each character around. So you can use up already approx 1 hour before you even get out into the new gameworld.

Anyway, finished some of the first fetchy quests already and this time I somehow feel much "deeper" in the world. No idea if it's because I am reading it for the second time or because I know what to expect and consume it different now. Also I feel like I grasp the world details a lot better this time around. Maybe I was rushing through OWB too fast the first time I played it and now I am actually exploring...

Will continue my journey on sunday evening.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have to say that I'm really impressed with Honest Hearts. The area is beautiful, although I don't think it's any prettier than Red Rock. Of course, Zion does have a lot of water, which is quite nice. The computer terminal diary of the poor bastard who lost two sets of wives and children is compelling. Absolutely wondefully executed. The quests are a little weird, but it played pretty well. I also like that you really don't try to be a bleeding heart idiot and make friends with the white legs. They haven't offered to talk so far. They killed all my companions at the very beginning. No soul searching nonsense. They identified themselves as murderous enemies and I haven't had a second thought treating them as such. Very well done. New Vegas is truly a work of art.

I enjoyed genociding the White Leg tribe and taking Salt Upon Wounds' mask for my trophy shelf back in Novac but it's a shame I'll never get to join them in support of the Legion, that option would have been so cool on a replay :(

Honest Hearts is my favorite. Aside from Tribals. The story behind the Sorrows is really the only major, glaring flaw to HH for me. The biggest irony is when Joshua Graham calls his people a tribe and explains that it's simply a linked family of families. Wonder why they chose to disregard that when coming up with the idea of the Dead Horses and Sorrows, who started as educated, literate youths who were aided in survival by the Survivalist's gifts of books. They must have come up with some coming of age ceremony that involved trepanation with cazador stingers along the way.

In the end it's all just tangential to Joshua Graham's story, anyway. That's what really put it on the top for me.

Edited by AGX-17

For something quirky (but not really important) I've noticed that while playing through, even though I'm online at the time, Steam isn't recognising all of the achievements. It's giving me some, but not all.. So while it's recognised the "Reached 20th level" it hasn't given "Reached 10th"; it gave me Master of the Mojave (discover 125 locations) but not Walker of the Mojave (50 locations); I got my "Assemble Your Crew" for Dead Money, but hasn't thrown in the "Having A Ball" for completing the Gala Event....

On the seperate, I have to say, I do enjoy how you get all the references back and forth between the dlc. Most notably at the moment, the various background info on Sincair and assorted tech that came from Big MT in Old World Blues..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

For something quirky (but not really important) I've noticed that while playing through, even though I'm online at the time, Steam isn't recognising all of the achievements. It's giving me some, but not all.. So while it's recognised the "Reached 20th level" it hasn't given "Reached 10th"; it gave me Master of the Mojave (discover 125 locations) but not Walker of the Mojave (50 locations); I got my "Assemble Your Crew" for Dead Money, but hasn't thrown in the "Having A Ball" for completing the Gala Event....

On the seperate, I have to say, I do enjoy how you get all the references back and forth between the dlc. Most notably at the moment, the various background info on Sincair and assorted tech that came from Big MT in Old World Blues..

Happened to me, too, but the missed achievements popped up eventually. So the dates are all time-paradoxy.

I've been doing Old World Blues. I think that's what it's called. Anyhow, it's interesting. I think I'm getting close to being done. I'll find out tonight, I guess.

Obsidian Plays

Something to keep in mind is that console use of almost any kind disables steam achievements, presumably because you could just console yourself all the achievements.

I think, last I knew, it just disabled them from accumulating for that session.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Something to keep in mind is that console use of almost any kind disables steam achievements, presumably because you could just console yourself all the achievements.

I think, last I knew, it just disabled them from accumulating for that session.

Yeah that's right, it's weird that I never cared about achievements until I noticed I wasn't getting them in New Vegas :lol:

hm, weird. I can't think of anything console related I used whilst playing through Dead Money. A bunch of crashes yes...

And its giving me some achievements during a gaming session, but not others.

Then there's the "in-game" challenges that roll over (kill x things with y type of weaponry, hack x computers) and they clock up, then next thing I notice is that they've just started counting again. Whilst others hit the magical number and grey out in the completed style.

It's nada big, just kind of curious.

Edited by Raithe

I often use "save ..." to make a savegame with specific name. No idea if that makes issues with achievements, though. Couldn't care less about them. :>

Curse you, Raithe, I didn't even pay attention until you brought it up and now I keep checking. lol In other news, Old World Blues has been a lot of fun. I have no idea how far I am from finishing, but i can say that there are few really awesome weapons. I especially like the Elijah (or whatever his name is) LAER. That thing puts mobs the hell DOWN. I also like Chistine's (ditto) silenced sniper solution. Great stuff. So good, in fact, that I think I can get to bed before three am tonight and without drinking a couple of bottles of wine first. lol Damn, this DLC is actually pretty good stuff!

Obsidian Plays

It took me a bit to wrap my head around the outright absurdity of Old World Blues (especially compared to Honest Hearts, which I did first). But it's pretty absurdly entertaining hahaha.

I don't typically pick up DLC, but I loved every one of FONV's.

The only other game I think I have picked up DLC for is Shogun 2 (which was fantastic DLC too).

Edited by alanschu

I finished Old World Blues off yesterday, and as long as you can embrace that zany pulpy sci-fi B-Movie attitude.. It's certainly an amusing blast. Also, a few nice added "layers" to the backstory of Elijah, Christine, and I'm guessing Ulysses, the other courier to be faced in the next dlc.

One small thing to keep in mind, the ending sequence does hook up to things you've done in the main campaign. Notably with Roxie the Robo-dog. Because I hadn't actually gone to the Strip and picked up Rex and gotten him a new brain, it treated the future elements of their hookup as if I never will cure/fix the problem...

Heh, although having the transporter to flip you back to the Sink whenever you want makes it a nice added "home" to base out of for the rest of the game..