Movement: walking, flying, digging, jumping, climbing, swimming

ahaha i read moonwalking in the title. Please, gimme moonwalking dwarves... i demand them NOW, Obsidian. Do NOT test my temper.

Also, this is a isometric rpg so uuuhh dunno where you got that idea from but maybe there'll be crossable water/river/shore/shallow terrain, who knows. Climbing with platemails, huh.

Edited by IEfan

implementation would be problematic.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm pretty certain that the modes of transportation in this game will be walking and... Walking some more. :)

Jumping, climbing, or swimming only make sense if you are setting up an open world type game, which isn't this game. In a game with tightly woven quests (where 75% of your movement is dictated by "There is a quest to go here", and remainder is driven by "There is a store / inn here") the only reason to include jumping / climbing / swimming would be "The only way to get to finish a quest is to jump / climb / swim." Why design you quest that way (and therefore have to include additional animations, artwork, programming, and so forth) when you almost certainly could design your quest so that you could either walk to where you need to go, or there is a cutscene / "fade-to-black" transition where the alternate transportation mode would otherwise be required?

Now, in an open-world game, it is important to allow the player to go wherever they want and then place interesting things there for them to find -- that's a large point of these games, after all. But it just isn't worth the extra work in this type of game.

They could maybe have climable buildings like in Jagged Alliance 2 (and maybe extend this to low cliffs, as well), but overall I think the 2D nature of the game will not be conducive to jumping and swimming. I guess you could do some sort of flight similar to what they had in Freedom Force.

All in all, this isn't a huge priority for me. Climbing could be kind of fun if shooting down from higher elevation gave archers some sort of bonus like in Final Fantasy Tactics, but overall I'm not sure if it would be worth the resource investment.

I would like for it to be possible to climb through windows like in Arcanum, though. That was great for thieves and would help open up multiple solutions for obstacles.

Edited by eimatshya

If flying can be considered "floating very swiftly" then this could be done. Agile flight might be beyond present budget and nostalgic interest.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I think based on what little I can glean, even if you could implement such things, most of it would probably look and feel kinda ... awkward. So I'm going to guess no. There was horse-riding in the 3/4 top down Sacred but it was, imo, horrible.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Climbing and swimming could work, but jumping?

They could maybe have climable buildings like in Jagged Alliance 2 (and maybe extend this to low cliffs, as well), but overall I think the 2D nature of the game will not be conducive to jumping and swimming.

Diablo 2, the Barbarian class.

Diablo 2, the Barbarian class.

Yeah, depending on what they're going to do with the engine, small stuff like that is possible, but I don't think you'll be climbing up walls or swimming through a lake.

"Isometric" has become such a generic term to the public, now, vs. what I think it is technically...depends on what Obsidian wants it to mean.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

jumping would be fairly easy... you just add an animation to the character, and set the 2D obstacles that are low enough as jumpable so the character can pass over them.

swimming is also easy. you just add the animation and merge the model with the water background

digging is also easy so long as you dont mean minecraft digging. you just have to put an animation and change a sprite in the terrain

now climbing and flying would be trickier, cause they would need a change in perspective to be done in a more complex manner, unless done automaticaly through a skill check. you click on a climbable wall, and if the character can climb it, the screen goes dark for a moment and the next thing you see is the character on top or on the other side of it ready to resume the game. flying would just take a zoom out and you would have to click on where to land. then the camera would zoom in and your character will be walking on that spot

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.