Unique Kickstarter In-Game Item

Why shouldn't people who pledge get a little trinket? This isn't a npc or something that people who don't pledge would hurt gameplay ( such as a item that would unbalance the game)

• Like 1

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

I don't like preorder dlc, that's exactly what it is. It is damaging to the community and fuels piracy.

So you're saying people would pirate this game because they can't get ONE in game item? In this case, I call bull**** and say those people weren't going to buy the game anyways.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. As soon as the game is out, people are going to torrent the "Backer version" they can't otherwise get. Who cares about one item you say? A lot of people do, even if it's only cosmetic. It's simply greed on obsidians side, they may get a little bump in the kickstarter phase, but it will hurt them in the long run.

I think the people who would pirate the game because of a silly item that has no bearing on plot or gameplay would probably pirate it to avoid paying money in the first place, considering money is actually important and useful. I mean, did anyone actually give a **** about the Courier's Stash when it was split up for retailers to add pre-order incentives? Was it a big deal you didn't have the "Weathered 10mm Pistol" along with the other Gamestop goodies (I will admit the canteen was nice)? Hell, those were packs of items, this is a single item with an achievement (I don't think you can pirate achievements either, so it's literally one item extra in the backer version).

Edited by SewerCover

• 2 years later...

As a backer I want to be able to get ALL possible items in the game.

It should not be the case that someone who pre-orders the game gets an item that I could not get as a backer.

I think it is enough to grant a sales discount to pre-sales customers.

A special item - if it does not make any sense will not move people to pre-order the game imho.

^er, the thread was about the kickstarter in-game item.

Pre-order bonus items #1 and #2 are being given to the backers as well as the pre-orderers:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69314-pre-orders-and-new-trailer-now-live/

(first post)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

How can a vanity item incentivize or justify piracy, when it's available to everyone in the champions edition? It's like justifying stealing a Ferrari with a spoiler, because it costs more than one without it.
That kind of logic must never be accepted as valid or excusable.

I kickstarted this project regardless of bonus in-game items and special doodads. The purpose, inherently, was to reward early backers and incentivize larger donations. Donate 5$, get a high five. Donate 1000$? You can bet they'll try to make it worth your money. As a kickstarter, you paid for this game to be made in advance; the justification that others may be missing out on bonus content is moot. The difference between pre-ordering and donating in this example is that the game in question is already developed/in development. If the game hadnt been succesfully kickstarted, it might not have been made in its current incarnation. The bonus fluff and the game are your return on investing your money to their project.

We can waste hours on the gritty finer points but the fact of the matter is that you gave money for an idea of a game. Pre-ordering is for a completed product...at least that's what we want it to be.

They look to be an animal and a ring. Animal is maybe just cosmetic, while the ring could be a magic item. I see no problem having them on you from the start.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

^It's more fun and immersive to find stuff like that than to auto-start with it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Is it still possible to get all in-game content?  I'd really be interested in a package that includes the complete game and all in game items along with digital versions of all manuals and novels ect...  Basically anything related to info about the game world.  I know that backers were promised unique stuff but was hoping there was some way to make it work.

Seriously, people complaining about virtual trinkets, you know intangible electronic bits that add superficial images to your online characters. Bonkers.

Do I envy the 500 or 1k kickstarters? I wish I could back with that amount. Will they get more gimmicks and items? Yeah, they put more upfront. If you're not a kickstarter backer or backed less, tough. You're not missing out on exclusive quests, characters or anything of that nature. Spoiled brats is all I'm hearing.

• Like 1

At a basic level, if you don't like a development decision a game made, don't buy it.  Piracy is a statement, it's a statement that you're too spineless to stick up for your beliefs if it means the slightest bit of self harm (or too poor to afford your consumption, which is something else entirely).  ME3's Prothean day one DLC was one thing that I thought could potentially severely damage the quality of the game.  So I didn't buy it.

That said, I don't generally like exclusive content or DLC, and would be fine without kickstarter exclusive content.

Meh, as long as they don't go all used car salesman on us, I'm fine with the occasional in-game incentive.

The old games that Project Eternity is meant to immulate did this kind of stuff all the time. BG2's collector's addition added 2 exclusive merchants who both had entire inventories filled with exclusive items.

The thing is that Interplay/Bioware allowed those merchants and items to be modded in, so they ultimately were available to everyone. If Obsidian is willing to do that too, I'm more okay with it.

Yeah, but I distinctly remember that they sent threatening emails to someone who posted the codes for them on gamefaqs, so that kind of modding is of grey legality even if the items are pure awesome.

Edited by anameforobsidian