[Merged] George Ziets as as the 2.8 million stretch goal

Also just to *entertain* you:

- LOTRO is considered a faithful adaption of the Lord of the Rings books. More so than even the movies. Since it went F2P. It's been very successful with the model and highly regarded

- NWN2: Was successful (enough to get 2 add-ons too). Worked on Act 2 of it which is from a writing standpoint (in parts at least) the most liked NWN2 act. Was Lead Creative Designer of Mask of the Betrayer which is highly regarded in the CRPG community. Was successful.

-Dungeon Siege III: Sold ok. Not overly successful. The Narrative itself is highly regarded, if barebones.

TLDR: Stop trollin'.

Don't confuse my passion for the success of this project for trolling. I want the best for P:E. I want Planescape Torment. I want Icewind Dale. I want Baldurs Gate.

NWN2 was not successful. It barely even launched, never mind on time. To say that it was a hit because it had expansions is a fallacy. I can name any number of movies and games that got undeserved sequels or expansions despite having a lackluster reception.

Again, not successful: LOTRO. You know what MMORPG's do when they start failing miserably? They go free to play where they slowly become forgotten and irrelevant. Do you want me to entertain you with some examples?

Speaking of not launching, anyone who does a moderate amount of digging can find why Ziets left Obsidian.

We might as well have Michael Bay direct the movie and Nickleback do the score if Ziets is joining the team. They're successful right? They must be great!

I realize that I am jumping into this conversation without all the context or having read all the cross-posts.

That being said, while I understand your argument, I do feel that commercial success and writing that has created a strong following are separate. For example, Planescape Torment had bugs and weak combat, but the writing is alone created a following/fans even if the sales were weak. In fact, I am pretty sure this kickstarter was helped by the fact that the developers mentioned their ties to Planescape and other beloved RPGs and not strong sales figures.

I have never played Neverwinter Nights 2 or the MOB and finding a copy is near impossible at the moment. Therefore, I cannot say whether Ziets warrants the attention or no from a personal persepctive.

That being said, while I understand your argument

He doesn't have one. Like literary none.

He would have one if these games were commerical failures (which they aren't) or George was responsible for the content which is considered *bad* in those games (he isn't)

Edited by C2B

He would have one if these games were commerical failures (which they aren't) or George was responsible for the content which is considered *bad* in those games (he isn't)

It may be a weak argument, but I would not call it an absence of an argument. Although, I do disagree with it.

edit: I do not want to push further into the debate, since we should all be happy to have Ziets regardless. Hopefully I can find a copy of the game eventually. Not sure why steam pulled it.

Edited by Nixl

It may be a weak argument, but I would not call it an absence of an argument. Although, I do disagree with it.

edit: I do not want to push further into the debate, since we should all be happy to have Ziets regardless. Hopefully I can find a copy of the game eventually. Not sure why steam pulled it.

Two things to think about:

- What has a simple designer (not even Lead) to do with the commerical success. Or even if a game is overall good.

- How much holds his argument up when on the majority of these games other developers that are also working on this game were also involved (in Lead positions even). What exactly absolves them from his logic?

It's a paradoxical, false argument without any fact (except pointless assumption) supporting it.

Edited by C2B

Together with Paypal, George Ziets is now in the game.

Are you saying that Ziets will be a companion?

Great to hear. I was slightly worried we wouldn't hit it. Last night had an amazing surge, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Together with Paypal, George Ziets is now in the game.

Are you saying that Ziets will be a companion?

What class do you think George would be? I'm thinking Cipher or Chanter.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 4 weeks later...