SW: The Old Republic Part 4

Rosbjerg

At this point WoW is in it's decline as it becomes harder and harder to access by newer players (and far more hostile to newbies)

Hahahahaha, what? Everyone I know who is jumping ship from WoW (myself included, a fair while ago) is doing so because it's becoming too dumbed-down and new-player oriented.

Mechanics based it might be, sure, but in terms of community and actual content, awww HEEELLLL NAW.

I mean you're probably one of those guys who'd show up on a server and when a new person popped up to ask a basic question... because they had absolutely no idea.... and respond with "STFU NOOB! YOU KNOW NOTHING AND SHOULD DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT! ROFLROFLROFLROFL!" and discuss finding Mankriks wife.... as an alliance character.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

WoW is the original n00b friendly game, so I have no idea what Oblarg is talking about.

Oh, it was always noob-friendly. I don't deny that. Not always to the extent of Cata, though, which is essentially a distilled gel of boring, trivial **** that they spoonfeed to you through various hand-holding mechanics.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Mechanics based it might be, sure, but in terms of community and actual content, awww HEEELLLL NAW.

I mean you're probably one of those guys who'd show up on a server and when a new person popped up to ask a basic question... because they had absolutely no idea.... and respond with "STFU NOOB! YOU KNOW NOTHING AND SHOULD DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT! ROFLROFLROFLROFL!" and discuss finding Mankriks wife.... as an alliance character.

The community's always been pretty hostile to newcomers, well ok, hostile to softie newcomers that can't ignore random trolls. Even on my cesspool server of Burning Blade, most questions that weren't too dumb usually got an answer (well, sometimes in those damn thottbot co-ords back in the day :p) outside of a city-zone.

Have they really changed much though ? I've heard they've made the raiding more open to people, ableit with less rewards than organized runs.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The combination of the LFG system and all the new mechanics which attempt to spoonfeed people the proper ability rotations for their class are clearly geared towards turning the game into "press LFG button -> run instance -> get loot -> repeat," with as little emphasis on player skill as they can possibly manage. The "streamlining" of gear types and talent builds all plays into this.

The raiding did not need to be "more open to people." There were too many incompetent players vying for raid spots already.T

To give you an idea of the calibre of your modern WoW player, Blizzard offered me a 10 day Cata trial a while back, which I took (though in retrospect it was a massive waste of time). I started a Paladin, specced DPS, and ran instances nonstop until I was level 65 or so. It took only a few days, the dungeons themselves seldom took over half an hour, and despite all this I was managing top damage (usually by a factor of two) with gear that was 10 or more levels out of date. The game is trivial and boring.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Looking For Raid is how most people will see the content. But there is no reason to ever be nice to anyone there because your running with people from other servers (my servers grouping is notorius for having a few brazilian/spanish language guilds on it that make everything into a horrible slog). So you have everyone who can, rolling on everything in existance so that they might be able to collect themselves some gear to trade for what they actually need.

As to Oblarg's issue, part of that's the fact you rolled a paladin boyo. Melee classes like the paladin are going to be overpowered at lower levels, and only really start getting dragged into line once Mastery and other high level abilities come into play. Wow, for a long time had been geared around having two different "end points" for their characters leveling, 70 and 80, and after the world revamp in Cata and the retooling of ALL the basic mechanics, basically the only time everyone is going to be equal will be at 85 (in theory). Thus at 85 everyone goes around in dungeons not saying a word and trying to gear themselves out to run the raids... and the new person is ridiculed for having low damage because nobody bothered to explain things like "Hit cap" and "expetise cap" and "your primary stats", along with a spec that can be pretty significantly debilitating in comparison to the versions constructed by the math kings at various sites.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

As to Oblarg's issue, part of that's the fact you rolled a paladin boyo. Melee classes like the paladin are going to be overpowered at lower levels, and only really start getting dragged into line once Mastery and other high level abilities come into play. Wow, for a long time had been geared around having two different "end points" for their characters leveling, 70 and 80, and after the world revamp in Cata and the retooling of ALL the basic mechanics, basically the only time everyone is going to be equal will be at 85 (in theory). Thus at 85 everyone goes around in dungeons not saying a word and trying to gear themselves out to run the raids... and the new person is ridiculed for having low damage because nobody bothered to explain things like "Hit cap" and "expetise cap" and "your primary stats", along with a spec that can be pretty significantly debilitating in comparison to the versions constructed by the math kings at various sites.

No, I'm pretty it was entirely due to 90% of the player base not knowing how the **** to play their class, and Blizzard making every effort to force you to group with people you don't know such that you can't avoid said players. There were plenty of melee classes in the groups. Hardly any of them were at all competent. If, perchance, you found a group of people who didn't utterly suck you could literally run through instances without a tank, they were that laughably easy - and, of course, the cross-server LFG system does a great job of making sure you can't remember who those people are to do that regularly.

If you think it takes "math kings at various sites" to figure out a viable DPS spec (or the caps of various, obviously-capped stats), you shouldn't be playing an MMO.

Nice response. Never occurred to you that "fun" and "challenging" need not be mutually exclusive? If it's too much to ask of your player base to choose effective talent builds and proper gear in order to effectively complete content, then your game likely isn't worth playing. WoW has crossed this threshold.

This idea in MMO design that people should have to make no effort to learn how to play the game before being thrown at actual content serves only to reduce the enjoyment of that content for the people who bother to not suck. WoW is at the point where it's simply no longer fun to play due to this. It was always a casual-friendly, relatively easy game. Now it's utterly trivial and dull (and, despite this, the majority of players are still ****ing horrible).

Edited by Oblarg

I don't want to sound like your respective dads but I think the term 'get a life' applies.

I have a life. I haven't played WoW (minus that ten-day trial) since WotLK, nor did I spend a particularly large amount of time/effort on it when I did. However, I did bother to learn how to play my class properly, and had fun with what challenging content there was (rather than the dull daily quest grind that seems to keep the majority of the player-base placated these days).

Let's not.

The recent server transfers and now the LFG tool has really breathed new life into the game for me. I was still enjoying raid nights before, but other than that I played the game very little. Now there's a lot of action, and while the content on the LFG tool is a tad easy for my main (apart from one instance, which is typically too hard for others I get grouped with instead, with the rare exception), running flashpoints with my alt is still a lot of fun. And the daily rewards make it worth it to run it with my main as well, which makes it so that more experienced players and newer level 50s get to do things together they didn't before.

True, sometimes you get grouped with people who really can't do things right even when instructed multiple times, but that's fairly rare. Most of the time there's a player or two with less experience that causes things to be more difficult than it needs be, but I don't mind as long as they learn from their mistakes. In fact, I kinda like being a sort of mentor to these people (although only for a short while).

So yeah, for me the LFG tool is a great success. I hope the ranked warzones is revitalizing the pvp gameplay in a similar manner, although that doesn't interest me personally.

So, I'm guessing some guy yelled at Calax during a PUG raid or something ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm leveling my 3rd character, a Sith Warrior, and the story continues to entertain me.

well, considering you thought the inquisitor story were better than kotor 1 or 2 material, we is not surprised you is "entertained." similarly, if you told us that you is entertained while watching ashton kutcher (sp?) movies, we would not be shocked.

HA! Good Fun!

ps a friend of ours asked us to help her level a character a bit, so we has been playing again. the game has not gotten significantly better with the additions of 1.2 and 1.3.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've enjoyed a couple Ashton Kutcher films, so I guess your condescending remarks are on target. Tell me wise Gromnir, how can I be more like you? Perhaps I can be more cool by using a bizarre roleplaying syntax in all my posts.

HA! Good fun at the expense of others!

• Like 3

I've enjoyed a couple Ashton Kutcher films, so I guess your condescending remarks are on target. Tell me wise Gromnir, how can I be more like you? Perhaps I can be more cool by using a bizarre roleplaying syntax in all my posts.

with that insightful and original post, hurl has made us rethink our posting style and our recent life choices.

you got any idea how many times we has seen almost the exact same post from a cognitively challenged poster at codex... or in this place? but hey, your stab at it were so much more witty. really. *snort* regardless, is helpful when you post that you likes kutcher films and thinks inquisitor is superior to kotor 1 and 2. tastes is a personal thing. apparently, so is lack of taste. but don't feel bad, there is plenty o' folks who genuinely liked epic bad films such as battlefield earth and gigli, so you is hardly alone in having odd preferences in entertainment.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Sith Inquisitor wasn't too bad. I'd have liked some more political shenannigans and subtle manipulations thrown into it, but as a general "sith treachery, waiting to be backstabbed, getting your own resources so you can backstab them first", it was fairly entertaining.

Pushed my Jedi Knight to the end of Chapter 2, and got my Bounty Hunter to the end of Chapter 1. I've actually spent some of my game time this week pootling my Smuggler and Sith Inquisitor around on Illum and doing that world storyline and some of the dailies just to see what they're all like. You really rack up the credits doing those.

I've only got my Sith Warrior on Balmorra at the moment, but the class storyline certainly seems fairly interesting so far. Although for some reason my brain edits "Darth Baras" into "Darth Wideload" which does sliiightly affect how seriously I react to certain sections.... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

with that insightful and original post, hurl has made us rethink our posting style and our recent life choices.

you got any idea how many times we has seen almost the exact same post from a cognitively challenged poster at codex... or in this place? but hey, your stab at it were so much more witty. really. *snort* regardless, is helpful when you post that you likes kutcher films and thinks inquisitor is superior to kotor 1 and 2. tastes is a personal thing. apparently, so is lack of taste. but don't feel bad, there is plenty o' folks who genuinely liked epic bad films such as battlefield earth and gigli, so you is hardly alone in having odd preferences in entertainment.

HA! Good Fun!

Being rude on the internet isn't really insightful or original either. It is sad that you won't change. I'm not refering to your posting style, that is simply eccentric, but the attitude behind it does not portray a pleasant person.

HA! Good Fun!

Being rude on the internet isn't really insightful or original either. It is sad that you won't change. I'm not refering to your posting style, that is simply eccentric, but the attitude behind it does not portray a pleasant person.

and yet, your attempted criticism in your previous post were indeed directed at our posting style, no? thus your faux stab at maturity is a bit suspect... as is your taste.

regardless, we will concede that we makes little attempt to be polite. am particularly blunt with folks who is similarly rude and/or with candy-arsed milksops who would likes to discuss internet etiquette rather than thread topics. so, in the future could you endeavour to at least throw in some thread-centric content into your mewling lest we sees moderator censorship. is quite rude to be so thoughtless.

our first toon (mmo nomenclature is so odd) were an inquisitor. we were mildly entertained, but the shortfalls in character development were increasingly difficult to ignore. 1st half o' story forces us to be errand boy for somebody who is obviously out to do us ill... second half is difficult to remember as we were chasing an adversary who were equally forgettable. the companion stories hurl imagined were post-50 fare, were similarly uninspired... although we will concede that we never finished the final companion story as we were not enough of a glutton for punishment to endure running dailies or flashpoints to be getting his affection high enough.

we played ls, so perhaps our experience were different than hurls. regardless, we find it difficult to favorably compare swtor inquisitor to a majority o' the material in kotor or kotor 2... with the notable exceptions of juhanni and visas mar.

HA! Good Fun!

there's "making little attempt to be polite" and then there's just posting to take a smoldering dump in a thread.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Gromnir, I apologize for disparaging your posting style, I was reacting defensively from your earlier post. As for our differing opinions of the game, I'm also sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.