SW: The Old Republic Part 4

Rosbjerg

Watched a bit of trooper gameplay on youtube. *groan* That writing...those quests...those dialogues...!

That's Bio. You get some quite good writing..and some damn cheesey writing.

I don't have much hope for Bio's writing, but that was excrutiating.

Any planet after about 30 starts to feel a weeeee bit to long. Taris and Hoth being the main offenders.

Honestly I think this mainly comes from their flawed structure of their acts and planets. Things just feel to drawn out for how much is going on. Using the Knight as an example (so far it's been the paragon of how bad this is), The first four planets are basically "show up on planet, figure out where superweapon is, fight a dark jedi guarding super weapon, depart planet". Now, this is older info (I've been playing my sith wayyy to much) but I just remember going "REALLY? I have to do it all again?" when the fourth one popped up. The only real developments there occur because of your second partner, Kira, And that only shows up twice in total during the entire act. The Murauder is better (having you have slightly different goals between planets), but it still starts to fall into "Ok, why am I doing this again" territory by Alderaan.

On the subject of voice assignment, I think the sith has a pretty good one. Basically any time you ask anyones name, no matter the Mass Effect style "intent" on the wheel, the warrior points to the floor and goes "Your name.... NOW!" I think one of the triggers for that response was literally me putting in the response "And who might you be?" Kind of Jaring.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Any planet after about 30 starts to feel a weeeee bit to long. Taris and Hoth being the main offenders.

On the republic side, the boredom of Alderaan finally overtook my OCD.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I have to admit, I fairly loathe Corellia.

I understand they were trying for the whole "horrors of war, semi-destroyed, rubbly city" etc. But to me it just feels like such a drawn out, grindy crapsack of a planet. It's definitely one that after completing it all (world quests + class quests) for one imperial character and one republic character, I'm hoping that my minor levels of OCD will just let me run through the character quests alone and forget the world ones..

Alderaan is at least kind of pretty as a background...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tip: Make sure to queue in the group finder for flashpoints, they break up levelling a lot. Also skip bonus series quests, unless you need them to not be underlevelled for the next planet.

Also, if you like pvp, queue for warzones of course.

Hoth and Tattooine ar for me the worst planets by far, just because they're so dull.

Tip: Make sure to queue in the group finder for flashpoints, they break up levelling a lot. Also skip bonus series quests, unless you need them to not be underlevelled for the next planet.

Or to stay 3-4 levels overleveled because you suck, like me.

What happen to the EU servers? I remember making a new character there because they had more crowded servers there, and now it's 100% light in every server

http://www.swtor.com/server-status/

... It was 8-10AM on a weekday? :p

Edited by Nepenthe

I've never actally used any of the EU side servers.. I went with Corellian Run on the East coast from the beginning..

Been doing the stuff on Balmorra, it's actually quite a lot of fun. I assume this planet is going to run on for too long, as the couple of last ones before it, but so far every individual mission is about the right size, even with all the bonus objectives. I really should start doing some flashpoints, I'm still rocking Esseles and Hammer Station gear (mostly because it's "orange" and I haven't found anything that I like the look of more) - I've been really unlucky with rolls in the past few ones.

How much would you say the player base is hardcore Star Wars fans as opposed to other folks. I don't mean that as a value judgment. After all, taking advantage of a strong player base is smart. I just wonder how much the game expands the MMRPG market.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

How much would you say the player base is hardcore Star Wars fans as opposed to other folks. I don't mean that as a value judgment. After all, taking advantage of a strong player base is smart. I just wonder how much the game expands the MMRPG market.

The other ones'll have to give their idea. I've only gotten back after being away for several months, so I can't comment on what the situation is now (I've only done multi-player missions with a friend of mine who's in the same level bracket). Back around launch, it was mostly regular MMO grinders. I'd assume that the loss would be from that group, but I have no idea what's left behind.

It seems to have mostly stabalized into the standard MMO bracket, with several members of that who are also star wars fans.

In the Foundry and Boarding Party flashpoints, not many people get the KotOR references I throw out.

Hm, wrapped up chapter 1 with my Sith Warrior. I have to say, its quite fun to goad Jedi to use the dark side.

What's very weird is that the Sith Warrior does a better job at turning Jedi to the dark side then Sith Inquisitors. Which does seem a bit strange. The SI gets that whole "corrupt the padawan" length storyline, but still you end up with a fairly lightside padawan who attempts to merge elements from Sith and Jedi teachings rather then follow one or the other. With the Sith Warrior, you can either keep Jaesa light side and attempting to change the empire from within, or you turn her dark and she's all psychotic bitch and sexpot.

I think Jaesa Wilsaam has to standout as the only companion available in that depending on what you do as you do that "recruiting" part of the storyline, will either be Light or Dark, not automatically the same regardless.

Hm, wrapped up chapter 1 with my Sith Warrior. I have to say, its quite fun to goad Jedi to use the dark side.

What's very weird is that the Sith Warrior does a better job at turning Jedi to the dark side then Sith Inquisitors. Which does seem a bit strange. The SI gets that whole "corrupt the padawan" length storyline, but still you end up with a fairly lightside padawan who attempts to merge elements from Sith and Jedi teachings rather then follow one or the other. With the Sith Warrior, you can either keep Jaesa light side and attempting to change the empire from within, or you turn her dark and she's all psychotic bitch and sexpot.

I think Jaesa Wilsaam has to standout as the only companion available in that depending on what you do as you do that "recruiting" part of the storyline, will either be Light or Dark, not automatically the same regardless.

I think to a degree it's because the entire act has been leading up to Jaesa's defection. While the Inquisitors seduction is just a means to an end for the overall goal of Taris.

Playing my warrior, the story is PHENOMINAL. I really love that it doesn't change gears completely between acts (you still have the same supporting cast all the way through, instead of basically starting an entirely new story once the second act begins).

Still ambling through the Jedi Knight storyline. Just hit 40 before making it to Hoth. The Belsavis bonus series (both of them) were the best I've played so far.

Had an interesting episode today, was doing Maelstrom prison with the group finder... and some eejit had flagged himself as healer, while he was anything but. We actually managed to kill the first boss with that setup, but it went pete tong at the second one.... I still scored the sentinel robe from the first boss, so in spite of the whole thing being a failure, I finally managed to get something I liked the look of more than my Esseles robes. :D

Still rocking my original lightsaber and Hammer Station Initiate pants, though.

So, to do hard core raiding, do you still end up need add-ons? One of the things that was a drag in WoW was the fact that you were often screwed without add-ons and, even if you could handle some things with them, guilds would *require* you to use certain add-ons. Nothing like having to spend time making sure your add-ons are up to date on top of other things like that. Of course, the real answer would be 'just don't get so hardcore you need the things.' Sadly, my problem is that I can't play a game without eventually wanting to get to the hardcore stuff. :Cant's sad admission icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guest Slinky

So, to do hard core raiding, do you still end up need add-ons?

No. There arent any add-ons as the game doesn't support anything like that.