RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

CD Projekt's conference. Starts in 15 minutes or so as of my typing this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And the new AAA RPG is based on CyberPunk 2020

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

CYPERPUNK

Finally.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YEAH!!!!!

I LOVE Cyberpunk 2020, its one of my gaming groups favorite pnp games of all time. the only setting that would have me more excited would be Battlelords of the 23rd Century

this is so crazy awesome, i hope CDProjekt can do this right, I have some faith in them not to mangle it too much, but nailing the feel of that game would make this project really incredible

edit: for those who haven't played Cyberpunk 2020 before, the game is super fun (and very lethal). We typically roll 3-4 characters per player at the start of the game because we have at least one death almost every session

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Never heard of that PnP game, but should be interesting. At least it'll be pretty given it's CDPR.

Enough to survive, son.

Are you ashamed of your cute little chauvinistic remarks all of a sudden? How disappointing.

5 languages. And you?

Well less obviously (3 flawlessly, 1 okayish) since I don't have a habit of lying to random strangers. Do you realize that novels can be written in Polish, can be translated and be good or do you consider Poles just "underhumans"? Just curious.

Edited by Delfosse

Sure, but that's what interpreters are for. And when they did they job, that's what writers are for, to correct stylistics etc, to transform the text into pure English. You know how popular books are translated into 20 languages, etc, right?

Yeah, and the reason I always read original versions is that the translations suck.

That's cause everyone outsources everything nowadays. The Americans make a film. Want it translated into Suomi. They hire a Finish company, who then hires a translator who just finished university and has no experience for example. The guy translates as good as he can, but whenever there's some dialect, he just translates by guessing, so already some of the meaning is lost. Then he gives it to the editor, who only corrects typos etc, they correct no stylistic/language mistakes and they certainly don't adapt the translation, so it sounds weird and there are phrases that are literally translated like "we can do it!" which make no sense in your language for example. Then the text is given to the actor, who voices it, and the actor sometimes takes liberties, but most importantly, knows absolutely nothing of the context, so the intonations are all wrong. Then the recording is given to the sound editor, who cuts sequences that are too long for certain scenes, because in the original it sounded shorter, so whole sentences get cut out sometimes.

So after all this, you get an absolutely totally ****ty translation that makes no sense and translates only the general ideas, there's no wittiness, no humor, etc. Total fail. But that's how they do it in the film industry, true story. Now if the Poles want it translated right, they just need to manage the process themselves, end of story. It's not that difficult.

Edited by Delfosse

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YEAH!!!!!

I LOVE Cyberpunk 2020, its one of my gaming groups favorite pnp games of all time. the only setting that would have me more excited would be Battlelords of the 23rd Century

this is so crazy awesome, i hope CDProjekt can do this right, I have some faith in them not to mangle it too much, but nailing the feel of that game would make this project really incredible

edit: for those who haven't played Cyberpunk 2020 before, the game is super fun (and very lethal). We typically roll 3-4 characters per player at the start of the game because we have at least one death almost every session

Well, that suddenly got put on my radar. No interest until I read it's based on CP 2020 from you guys, now it's almost a must buy!

New Hitman Absolution trailer. Not really sure what to make of that, but oh well.

Leather and latex? I'm sold!

I'll admit I'm excited for this Cyberpunk game.

I'm more than exited, I can't wait for that to be released! :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

New Hitman Absolution trailer. Not really sure what to make of that, but oh well.

Leather and latex? I'm sold!

See, it's people like you that are the problem :p

But eh, as a hype generator it's ok, I wish we'd see a trailer with more sneaky-sneaky and less Grammaton Cleric type stuff. Although if those ladies are representative of the rest of the ICA's staff, no wonder 47 is their best, heh.

ugh. It's a pity CDProject is making the PnP game Cyberpunk.

If Obsidian was doing this I'd be ecstatic. Or even Larian would be better.

? You sure put some money on the Shadow Run Kickstarter?

I don't find the meaning in this simulation combat CRPG vs contemporary action CRPG anymore after seeing some successful indie companies. If I want combat simulation, I know where I should go. I like Kickstater projects to be successful and, currently, waiting for Dead State to announce. After all, the problem was not that action games sold well but that we didn't have other choices. Now, it's more like whether I should watch a film or read a book.

I don't cry out for Obsidian anymore. If some designers are willing to go for Kickstarter or join other companies for a certain project like Avellone's case, I may support them (depending on the project). After all, companies are not the purpose but the vessels for it.

Similar thing has been happening to music industry, too. If you want major music, then, go for it. If you are hooked by an unknown but talented artist, then, why not support them? Another important thing is that we should watch out for the mega IP conglomerates not to lobby against this trend in order to hold on their profits (assimilation is trickier than this, though).

Of course, I don't think all the Kickstarter projects are going to be successful but it would be nice if some of them are successful enough. Some money can be just lost but they are a way of investment at the end of the day.

Not sure why everyone is "OOOH AVAILABLE ON STEAM NEEEEEWS". We're at the point when not being available on Steam is effectively the exception, and there was really no indication Namco Bandai wouldn't pursue this road. Now, does this mean they will use Steamworks for the Steam release? Very doubtful if you ask me, but it's just an educated guess based on other similar releases (Arkham City and Arkham Asylum for example).

See, it's people like you that are the problem :p

But eh, as a hype generator it's ok, I wish we'd see a trailer with more sneaky-sneaky and less Grammaton Cleric type stuff. Although if those ladies are representative of the rest of the ICA's staff, no wonder 47 is their best, heh.

I'm sowwy... :<

Admittedly not the kind of shooting that would happen if I went up against 8 scantilly clad "nun's" rockin' those guns, but I digress.

I really did'nt get anything out of that "trailer", as you say, I'd like to see more gameplay, sneaking and such. Or possibly more Leon style than Equilibrium if they feel the need to have more action in their trailers. Have a hard time seeing it generate any real interest at all.

Really ought to play through the old Hitman games again, it's been a long time.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not sure why everyone is "OOOH AVAILABLE ON STEAM NEEEEEWS". We're at the point when not being available on Steam is effectively the exception, and there was really no indication Namco Bandai wouldn't pursue this road. Now, does this mean they will use Steamworks for the Steam release? Very doubtful if you ask me, but it's just an educated guess based on other similar releases (Arkham City and Arkham Asylum for example).

I think they're using GFWL exclusively.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

By the way, was'nt there catsuit wearing ninja assassins in Half-Life?

And that trailer had been so much more awesome if 47 stole the first nuns outfit to infiltrate the rest of the group to take them out one by one. And also alot more fun, brought more PR and had made a remembering bit about disguises from the previous games. :D

Edited by Azdeus