Computer (sitting) related back pain

Drowsy Emperor

I'm 25 and my back already hurts from sitting at the PC all day long. I have a decent chair and I do try to keep proper positioning while sitting, and yet nothing seems to help.

How do the rest of you deal with it?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Evolution

Edit: Seriously, the (my) trick is to take constant micro breaks. Get up, go for a short walk. Grab a cup of coffee. Meet a colleague and discuss something while standing. Never sit down for more than 30 minutes without getting up and move around a bit. Working 60 hour work weeks every now and then wouldn't be survivable otherwise.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you are getting back pains, then probably your chair isn't good enough for the amount of time you spend on it. Otherwise, Gorth's advice is sound. More deadlifts and squats and proper sleeping never killed anyone, either.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I've always had back problems, due to a mild case of scoliosis. As the others mentioned, stretching and exercise are the best bets, you want to strengthen those back muscles. An occasional visit to a massage therapist is also good.

Evolution

Edit: Seriously, the (my) trick is to take constant micro breaks. Get up, go for a short walk. Grab a cup of coffee. Meet a colleague and discuss something while standing. Never sit down for more than 30 minutes without getting up and move around a bit. Working 60 hour work weeks every now and then wouldn't be survivable otherwise.

This is what I do. I get a few stares while taking strolls around the office, don't care. I have no idea if there is any medical evidence for it, but I also found sleeping on the floor completely stretched out on my back helped.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I unnerve the receptionist at the office across the hall by pacing around for 10 minutes. Now that the weather is nicer I'll take a stroll around outside, well until it becomes smoggy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm 25 and my back already hurts from sitting at the PC all day long. I have a decent chair and I do try to keep proper positioning while sitting, and yet nothing seems to help.

How do the rest of you deal with it?

This is one of the reasons I started to excercise. The back pain was getting real troublesome for me. If you are not overweight, I suggest taking breaks every now and then. Walk around for a few minutes, stretch your arms and stuff like that. I take a break every hour or something like that.

I'll probably have to go back to the gym after a 6 month hiatus. I can already smell the stale sweat in the changing rooms.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Inspired by one of my new colleagues I work standing up. Of course he has this awesome robocop desk thing. I simply work off the top of a filing cabinet. But you get the idea.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Lower or upper back? I almost never have lower but upper back/shoulder is an issue. Adjustable and very high armrests on my chair keeps my shoulders from "slumping" as much, so upper back/neck gets less strain. Side benefit, less wrist stress since elbow/wrist is about level with top of desk/keyboard instead of an angle. But mostly, like the others have said...take lots of short frequent breaks, and stretch a lot during those breaks. Doesn't matter what age you are, it's a good habit to have.

Also, imo a chair seat that's relatively flat works best. I don't understand these chairs that seem to be shaped with a bowl-like curve (higher on the sides, sunken in the middle). Maybe it's because I'm a gal, but I find that uncomfortable, both for my butt and for back posture it tends to inspire.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't get a sore back much unless I'm sitting still for more than a few hours, bad leg cramps is my main problem as I get them often within an hour. For a sore back wandering around for a bit is the best solution I've found, if it ain't practical kneeling on the floor works pretty well as it straightens the back out and changes your position a bit (as would standing, but I've found that just makes my neck sore instead). You can actually do a fair number of back exercises while sitting or kneeling too. Gets some funny looks on occasion, but I've never felt the need to care about that.