Best of 2011

entrerix

Ok, have done one of these the past two years, time for 2011!

My top ten games of the year

Top Games of 2011 (made at end of 2011)

1. Skyrim (pc - preordered)

2. Portal 2 (pc - preordered)

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (pc - full price)

4. Dragon Age 2 (pc - preordered)

5. Dark Souls (ps3 - full price)

6. Batman: Arkham City (ps3 - preordered)

7. The Witcher 2 (pc - full price)

8. Mortal Kombat 9 (ps3 - full price)

9. Bulletstorm (pc - bargain)

10. Frozen Synapse (pc - bargain)

runners up: binding of isaac, cthulhu saves the world, Dead Island, Frozen Synapse

I have to still play: Total War: Shogun 2, Gemini Rue, Dead Space 2, Costume Quest, Bastion, LA Noire, Uncharted 3, Catherine

things of note -

1. i preordered and paid full price for a lot of games this year compared to last.

2. despite being pissed about dragon age 2 in general, it was still in my top 5 games of the year

3. I have a LOT of games left to play from 2011, several of which could dramatically shape up my top ten list, so maybe in a few months I'll revisit this with my updates. I'm particularly expecting good things from Bastion, Catherine, Uncharted 3, and Shogun 2.

4. NO xbox games this year... my list from 2 years ago was mostly xbox... weird.

also, as a bonus, here is my initial post from last years thread (http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=56886&hl=

"Ok last year I did one of these and now I'm doing it again...

my top ten games of the year (and for market analysis, the system i played them on and the price I paid)

1. Fallout: New Vegas (PC) - preordered

2. Mass Effect 2 (PC) - preordered

3. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox) full price, not preordered

4. Super Street Fighter 4 (Xbox) preordered

5. Starcraft 2 (PC) - full price

6. Assassins Creed Brotherhood (PS3) - half price

7. Heavy Rain (PS3) - bargain bin

8. Civilization 5 (PC) - gift

9. Splinter Cell Conviction (Xbox) - bargain bin

10. Castlevania Lords of Shadow (ps3) - half price

runners up: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (bargain bin PC), Limbo (full price, Xbox), Alpha Protocol (bargain bin, PC)

still planning to play: amnesia, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Alan Wake

and my favorite older game which I played this year= Red Faction: Guerilla"

last thought: curiously, none of the games that were in my last years "to play" list, ended up changing my list, although that might be because I STILL haven't played amnesia :lol:

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I didn't even play 10 games in 2011 - at least games that were mad ein 2011. Nice list. Out of your top 10, I played exactly one of them.

Here's my top 10 games that i played this year (not enccessarily ones that came out this year)

1. NHL 12

2. FO:NV

3. DA2

4. M&M6

5. M&M7

6. FO1

7. BG1

8. M&M3

I didn't play much of anything else (NHL 12 takes too much of my game time) and the others I played were simply crap.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1. Rayman : Origins

2. Dark Souls - preorder

3. Uncharted 3 - preorder

4. Batman: Arkham asylum - preorder

5. Renegade ops

That's pretty much everything worth mentioning for 2011. I own Witcher 2 and DX:HR but i haven't played them yet because my PC can't handle them properly, Rage is on the way but probably wouldn't be mentioned either.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

wow, I'm so far behind... out of your 10, entrerix, I've played only 1 (Frozen Synapse). guess that's what happens if one doesn't want to support the only digital distributor in the world (Steam). (although I could've bought teh witcher from CD Project directly)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well,

1. SW:TOR

2. DX:HR

3. Portal 2

Don't think I can make a longer list with just new games. Been replaying a lot of old games, crazy amounts of Thief trilogy among others.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

hehe, I throw here me top 2011 list of purchased games as well... some of them are pretty good laughing stock :p Listing it it random order :p

Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy: Legacy Edition (PSP - preorder)

Hyperdimension Neptunia (PS3 - bargain)

Atelier Rorona (PS3 - bargain)

Final Fantasy IV Complete Edition (PSP - preorder)

Dark Souls Limited Edition (PS3 - preorder)

Atelier Totori (PS3 - preorder)

I wanted to buy God of War Collection I and II as well, but somehow, I always when I was at the local shop I reconsidered.

And I wanted to buy White Knight Chronicles II as a preorder, but cancelled it after I got info about the need of activating Multiplayer on PSN... No PSN in my country... Way to go, how to lose customer who has 560 hours played in his Clear Data Multiplayer Save, and Platinum Trophy for White Knight Chronicles 1 purchased on preorder.

And Final Fantasy XIII-2 Crystal Edition (PS3 - preorder) bud does not count despite being preordered in october, the game is still not out :lol: I wish I knew to read Kanji :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1. Fallout: New Vegas (including DLC)

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

3. Skyrim

4. Total War: Shogun 2

5. Anno 2070

6. Gemini Rue

7. Dungeon Siege III

8. Mafia II

9. Anomaly Warzone Earth

10. Dragon Age II

Still have to play: Dead Space 2, Rage, The Witcher 2, Portal 2, L.A. Noire.

I have two games from 2011 (Batman: AC and Saints Row 3) that I haven't even gotten around to yet, but I can give this list thing a try.

1. SW:TOR - Pretty easy choice, I paid for the overly expensive CE edition and everything. I imagine I will be playing this one for a couple years to come.

2. Deus Ex:HR - A pleasant surprise, it really drew me in, and I even took a day off work to play it.

3. MLB 11 The Show - Another solid entry in the fantastic baseball series.

4. Rift - A surprisingly solid MMO that I put a lot of hours into. If it wasn't for TOR, I might still be at it.

5. Battlefield 3 - This game is great, but the real test will be if I still play it in a couple years. I can't really play shooters for long stretches of time, but an hour or two a week is nice.

6. Mafia 2 - Pretty solid game.

7. Skyrim - It had some charm, but I lost interest earlier than expected. I will probably go back to it.

I think thats it for me, really. I didn't enjoy Dragon Age 2. I think Saints Row 3 will definitely end up on the 2011 list, as will Batman, but right now I'm too busy with TOR.

Edited by Hurlshot

Didn't play that much the past year, that which I did, I liked a lot. Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR, Dawn of War 2 Retribution, and stuff off GOG like Broken Sword 1 & 2, Syberia 1 & 2, TLJ, Shogo, Ground Control.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fallout: New Vegas was easily the game of the year for me.

But despite so much potential for this year, I didn't actually buy or play very many games. I will get Skyrim eventually, but.. No interest right now. I'm more interested in little indie downloadable games at the moment. I wish Obsidian would make a small team that concentrated on this type of game. Just.. small budget RPG's with classic gameplay and lots of story, good systems, great environments etc.

Maybe it's a phase I'm going through because I haven't played through Wasteland even a single time in all of 2011 :lol:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In 2011, I thought The Witcher 2 and Skyrim were very good games, despite flaws. I also enjoyed Bastion, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dungeon Siege III and Dungeons of Dredmor, though they weren't 'great' by any standard. Shogun 2 I thought was unimpressive, as was Sengoku.

Won't bother with an all time list, hard to produce a good list with all that ground to cover.

I appear to have bought... two (!) 2011 games. There's also been a depressing amount of "install game, start playing game, have no time for game, forget about game" mixed in.

I'm likely to pre-order three titles over Feb-March which would mean buying more 2012 titles in the first quarter than for the entire crop of 2011.

Fallout: New Vegas was easily the game of the year for me.

Same here.

Runner up would be EU III - Divine Wind.

Generally fun: Dungeon Defenders, Magicka and Worms (yes, the 1995 version)

Bought a truckload of games, indie, AAA and otherwise, but most of it was either forgettable or I haven't had time to play them properly yet.

Biggest disappoint of the year: The Witcher 2.

Runner up for disappointment: Dragon Age 2 (Demo)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

new vegas was my top of 2010, though honestly i'd also make it my top of 2011 considering how much i played it this year

interesting how many people played only a few games this year, but i guess this board leans very heavily towards rpg's, of which there are few of merit in a given year

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.