Random video game news.

Rosbjerg

Rambo game coming

You can't make that **** up! :)

Actually it makes perfect sense in the current AAA game development environment: a big name IP that focuses on extreme violence and lots of guns in a paramilitary-type setting.

It will likely be a suckfest, but a solid IP choice. Waiting for Missing in Action to get its own game as well.

It won't be a genuine AAA product.

I predict a bad gears clone wraped around this IP.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Rambo game coming

You can't make that **** up! :)

Actually it makes perfect sense in the current AAA game development environment: a big name IP that focuses on extreme violence and lots of guns in a paramilitary-type setting.

It will likely be a suckfest, but a solid IP choice. Waiting for Missing in Action to get its own game as well.

It won't be a genuine AAA product.

I predict a bad gears clone wraped around this IP.

Mmh, after even THQ failed to deliver with Homefront, the odds of a bunch of never-heards doing it are quite... small. Guess AAA these days means anything that gets a release outside the iOS.

Seems odd. Somehow I can't imagine an ultra-scripted shooter as being the hardest thing in the world to make, yet apparently both THQ (homefront) and EA (MoH) managed to ef it up.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well that's no big surprise. QD planned to develop Infraworld many years ago (just right after Fahrenheit shipped) but had to cancel it because there was no publisher interest. Guess they got lucky this time around.

Just don't expect anything gameplay heavy.

Eh, probably somebody saw that Heavy Rain was a bit of a success and well liked and decided to jump for it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

According to the TF2 wiki, if you own New Vegas before the 8th, you'll be getting the TF2 pipboy as a miscellaneous item in genuine quality. I know we've got at least one other TF2 player around here.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

New Rage trailer. Lookin' great! :)

I like the visual look, and the trailer itself had a nice feel.

But eh, the gameplay seemed pretty unremarkable. Shooting, blowing up, gratuitous exploding heads and decapitations. Not the kind of things that have much interest for me without some context to add interest.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

New Rage trailer. Lookin' great! :lol:

I like the visual look, and the trailer itself had a nice feel.

But eh, the gameplay seemed pretty unremarkable. Shooting, blowing up, gratuitous exploding heads and decapitations. Not the kind of things that have much interest for me without some context to add interest.

The combat seems good enough to me - but I get what you're saying. I can't help but feel a sort of blandness and just overall non-engrossed gameplay forthcoming.l

Bioware is Bioware is Bioware.

In other words, nothing has changed.

Apart from the fact that they are essentially self-publishing now. :lol:

I think this is more related to SWTOR than anything else.

Mmh, after even THQ failed to deliver with Homefront, the odds of a bunch of never-heards doing it are quite... small. Guess AAA these days means anything that gets a release outside the iOS.

Seems odd. Somehow I can't imagine an ultra-scripted shooter as being the hardest thing in the world to make, yet apparently both THQ (homefront) and EA (MoH) managed to ef it up.

One of the problems I've found with AAA product development is that basically what they mean is, big budget for the developer, and hence as high quality as they can afford. When EA turn round and say they're delivering a AAA experience, you can be damn sure it'll have a bigger budget that this Rambo game.

As for scripted shooters being easy to make, relitively true, the main problem with large teams is lack of insight, and direction from whoever is in charge usually coupled with CEO's contradicting the requirements of some director. Alot of pee'in in the wind if you would.

So what's the main reason teams screw up ultra scripted shooters? Because it is in my opinion the wrong way to develop anything, especially a shooter. The only reason CoD gets away with it is because they batter the crap out of the player, and punish them to the high hells if they walk of the designer dictated path, if that path isn't intuitively

"ultra scripted" anything is crap, it just doesn't work, its why as much as I don't particularly like Halo, its certainly far superior to CoD as a piece of software, and I think in turn as an experience.

Steam is currently having a 'Quakecon' sale with different deals every day up until Aug 8 which includes some Fallout 3/NV stuff.

Oh, and Brink is also free to play for the weekend. If you've been curious about it now is the perfect time to try it. Its also on sale for $25 or as a package deal.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

"ultra scripted" anything is crap, it just doesn't work, its why as much as I don't particularly like Halo, its certainly far superior to CoD as a piece of software, and I think in turn as an experience.

Agree. My point was that it should be the "easy way" of doing it, yet Homefront and MoH seemed to spectacularly fail at... scripting. TBH, I haven't played either game, but I assume they tread too far from the CoD rollercoaster (which are on rails) approach.

Agree. My point was that it should be the "easy way" of doing it, yet Homefront and MoH seemed to spectacularly fail at... scripting. TBH, I haven't played either game, but I assume they tread too far from the CoD rollercoaster (which are on rails) approach.

MoH wasn't THAT bad really.