Best ARPG gameplay ever?

So just a couple of combos and blocking does not make a game comparable to Diablo in terms of quality and gameplay.

Yes, you are completely correct. Dungeon Siege III is nothing like Torchlight, Titan Quest, or Diablo as far as gameplay goes. Did you figure it out all by yourself?

Seriously, they've said in interviews that Dungeon Siege III is not trying to be Diablo. If you played the game expecting a Diablo clone that's a mistake you made on your own.

Edited by Vilhelm

Seriously, Dungeon Siege 3 is far better than Torchlight, Diablo 2 and Titan Quest in every way

1) I just don't feel I'm hitting the enemies, it just feels like as if I'm just hitting the air and that kills the fun factor completely for me. That's why I'm bored while playing. Why I`m not bored when playing Diablo, Torchlight but only Ds 3... That`s probably the reason. The best feel of hitting is in Diablo series and Torchlight I think.

I don't know what to say to this, I feel just the opposite, are you sure you are not just making things up?

And seriously, you were not bored when playing Diablo and Torchlight, do most repetitive games ever(especially Torchlight, I couldn't even be bothered to finish it), you are seriously making sh*it up now..

2) I hated the inventory screen, If the developers used just paperdoll inventory screen like in Ds1 and 2, it would be much much better for me. I can't even see my items in details in my inventory screen or on my character so that makes me want to stop collecting any loot so kills the fun factor.

I'm still not getting it, I played every ARPG ever, I tried to dislike the DS3 inventory screen before I tried the demo based on people like you and I still can't dislike it because I can't see anything functionally or visually wrong with it..it's just different, why the hell does everything have to be exactly the same?

3) I just hated the controls and the camera, couldn't focus on the game while camera automatically zooms in and out!

I hated it too before I learned how to play, now I'm embarrassed on how clueless and lazy I was.

4) I use Helmet but I can't see it on my character! That's really ridiculous in a 2011 game! Actually I can`t really see anything new on my character that also kills the fun factor

There are tiers of armor and there is a huge difference between them, armor within the same tier(they have the same labels) are just colored differently, but I agree, armor system like in Dragon Age would have been preferable, but nothing inherently wrong with this system too.

5) Numbers of skills seem so limited compared to Dungeon Siege 2.

Many of those skills were quite irrelevant, it felt very spammy and redundant, here everything is punctuated with relevance.

loot and skill is shallower but not THAT shallow compared to diablo type games

I can't see any difference, only Diablo 2 type crafting system is missing, nothing else.

And let`s not forget about replayability. Diablo is replayability king, that`s why people are still playing it after 11 years, How about Ds3? There is virtually no replayability in Ds 3.

This is pure bullsh*it, you keep mentioning these mystical people who play Diablo 2 and I've never met or heard of anyone of them in real life. But not only that I don't see any real foundation for your claim of exceptional replayability in Diablo 2 you are talking about, not by a long shot.

Edited by metamag

In another thread we mention that we are implementing keybinding soon. It'll be a patch that will be coming out.

Just a quick question: It's 2011. This is released on PC. Why does it need a patch to have this most basic of all functions since the beginning of time?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Regarding the helmet problem, Lucas has no helmet to equip and the girl's have 'hair' items to equip. I'm not sure what Reinhart has to equip head-wise, if he even has a head slot.

Regarding replayability, the only things the game lacks is less levels to gain character wise and you can't farm bosses/chests for rare drops. Then there's the lack of new game+, but as people have mentioned, the game wasn't trying to be Diablo.

Regarding the skill system, you have 9 abilities and you will get them all by the end so the game says. However, once you get an ability, you can then invest 5 proficiency points in it if you want, spread across 2 modifications per ability. so, you can modify the abilities so that they perform differently and you won't max every every ability out as you get 1 proficiency point per level. Then there are talents that don't alter the individual abilities. Rather, they alter stats and other things. Again, you won't max them.

You have four characters to play as and while you can level up the other three characters as party members, you can't actually control them. So, that's another reason to go through the game if you enjoy it. So, I can see there being replayability there.

Now, in an odd move for the hack and slash genre, it seems there are consequences for the choices you make as well. I'm 5 hours and 57 minutes in so far and have made some choices. While I've not seen their ramifcations or the branching paths yet, the NPCs and narration allude to there being consequences down the road. It may not be as fleshed out as something like Alpha Protocol, but it's more than you should normally expect from a hack and slash RPG.

Alvin,

While you're browsing the forum, I hope you see this question:

Is it possible to add some statistics showing how much damage your armor rating absorbs? i don't know about others, but I'd appreciate that feature.

Thanks for making the game as well. I'm enjoying it.

Now, in an odd move for the hack and slash genre, it seems there are consequences for the choices you make as well. I'm 5 hours and 57 minutes in so far and have made some choices. While I've not seen their ramifcations or the branching paths yet, the NPCs and narration allude to there being consequences down the road. It may not be as fleshed out as something like Alpha Protocol, but it's more than you should normally expect from a hack and slash RPG.

You probably have seen one already. Destroying the Heart of Nagog makes the bossfight harder. Though you can still destroy the heart after the fight which makes the whole thing weird.

You probably have seen one already. Destroying the Heart of Nagog makes the bossfight harder. Though you can still destroy the heart after the fight which makes the whole thing weird.

Actually, I tried both ways of doing that fight because it did indeed feel weird. Didn't notice much difference really. I'm guessing it was just damage numbers and such really that was the difference.

Actually, I tried both ways of doing that fight because it did indeed feel weird. Didn't notice much difference really. I'm guessing it was just damage numbers and such really that was the difference.

Yeah, the choice between giving the estate to Leona or keeping it for the Legion seems to be bigger.

Edited by C2B

Dungeon Siege 3 and Dark Alliance work as lite versions of Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. You may not enjoy that sort of gameplay, but it is what it is.

Are you for real here? Dark Alliance is an ARPG, like Torchlight and Lionheart and Diablo 2. It's nothing like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

I don't think the Obsidian Defense Squad even has the ability to tell the truth anymore.

And see, respectable gaming sites agree with me-

It's also the only failure in an otherwise smart action RPG that boasts such good combat that it doesn't matter if the loot, traditionally the heart of these games, is disappointing. In fact, it's so good that I think I'm going to go back and play it right now.

I hope all those petulant and impatient people who canceled the pre-order feel pretty silly right now.

It's also the only failure in an otherwise smart action RPG that boasts such good combat that it doesn't matter if the loot, traditionally the heart of these games, is disappointing. In fact, it's so good that I think I'm going to go back and play it right now.

I hope all those petulant and impatient people who canceled the pre-order feel pretty silly right now.

They will get the game for $20 in a month and you cna continue to insult them to defend your best buds at Obsidian. They need people like you defending them for sure.

Dungeon Siege 3 and Dark Alliance work as lite versions of Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. You may not enjoy that sort of gameplay, but it is what it is.

Are you for real here? Dark Alliance is an ARPG, like Torchlight and Lionheart and Diablo 2. It's nothing like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

I don't think the Obsidian Defense Squad even has the ability to tell the truth anymore.

If you say so.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You said Dungeon Siege 3 and Dark Alliance were like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry as opposed to being like Torchlight, Lionheart, Diablo 2 etc. IN OTHER WORDS: You claimed that Dark Alliance and Dungeon Sige 3 are pure action titles when clearly they are ARPG's. So you are either lying or really don't understand what you are speaking about ...

No, I did not say that.

Edit: In any case I was referring specifically to the games' combat, which isn't clear from what you quoted, I guess.

Heja Sverige!!

If you say so.

Quoted for posterity.

I was going to rant a lot but I'm flabbergasted that you would actually compare DS3 fighting system to Ninja Gaiden. And you think DS3 is more like Ninja Gaiden than Diablo 2?

I don't think he tried to tell the future but he did say it was better than Diablo 2 ... for me there is alot more to combat in arpg than just the moves. Things like enemy variety and ai, ability synergy, encounter design, controller feedback, pacing of combat etc. all factor into my opinion.

Those are all rubbish in Diablo 2, though.

Diablo 2 strengths are in its replayability and in the very diverse character builds.

Actually the stuff I listed is handled quite well in Diablo 2. It's part of why the game got a patch 10 years into it's life and why people still play game, more people than play DS3 by the way.

DS3 is not about GOOD ACTION COMBAT either ... it is definitely in the same genre as Torchlight ... this isn't Ninja Gaiden.

Enemy variety and AI is good in Diablo 2?

HAHAOHWOW

No it isn't Ninja Gaiden, it's a BG:Dark Alliance style game.

BG: Dark Alliance is an action rpg like Torchlight. What planet are you from? Torchlight just has ultra gimped multiplayer as in they gimped it out of existence which is a huge negative against that game. The next step up in gimpy multiplayer is DS3, you know hobbling along with a cane telling the youngsters it's cool to only have one multiplayer mode cause that's all gramps needs!

EDIT: I'm willing to bet that enemy variety in Diablo 2 >>>> (that's much much much much greater btw) DS3

In Torchlight, or Diablo, or Titan Quest you don't have fine control of your character. You don't have active dodge, active block, combos. It's the reason why continuous attack works with the first games but wouldn't work with Dungeon Siege 3. And it's why Dungeon Siege 3 ends up in a very different genre. The player's manual dexterity is much more important in DS3 than in Diablo.

WTF is this then?

If you say so.

Quoted for posterity.

I was going to rant a lot but I'm flabbergasted that you would actually compare DS3 fighting system to Ninja Gaiden. And you think DS3 is more like Ninja Gaiden than Diablo 2?

The combat is. It's much more dependant on enemy pattern recognition, actively dodging and blocking, and consequently on the player's manual dexterity.

Heja Sverige!!

They will get the game for $20 in a month and you cna continue to insult them to defend your best buds at Obsidian. They need people like you defending them for sure.

People like what, objective and rational people?

don't know what to say to this, I feel just the opposite, are you sure you are not just making things up?

Making up? Do you read this forum and what people say on the other forums? My 15- 20 friends and a LOT of people say exactly the same thing, even in this forum. And have you played Diablo 2, Torchlight and Ds 2? Just open the Torchlight for example, start the game and start playing, just hit a couple of monsters and then compare this feel to DS3 you will clearly see.

I can't see anything functionally or visually wrong with it..it's just different

I just wrote the wrong thing about it. "I can't even see my items in details in my inventory screen or on my character so that makes me want to stop collecting any loot so kills the fun factor."

hated it too before I learned how to play, now I'm embarrassed on how clueless and lazy I was.

Laziness? I say I can`t see anything when I go to corners because the camera does %100 zoom I say I CAN'T see anything but my character s butt while I`m fighting.

There are tiers of armor and there is a huge difference between them, armor within the same tier(they have the same labels) are just colored differently,

I tried a lot of dofferent armor I just can't see any difference other then just a little bit color. I see the difference clearly in DS 1 and DS 2 but NOT Ds3 Why? That proves the problem is not me or my eyes. Even what you say is true, is it enough for that kind of game to have only a couple of different looks on character?

can't see any difference, only Diablo 2 type crafting system is missing, nothing else.

If you can`t see the difference you really didn`t play Diablo enough. You can`t compare item variety in Diablo 2 to DS 3.

who play Diablo 2 and I've never met or heard of anyone of them in real life

That`s so funny try battle.net servers then. I and a lot of my friends still play Diablo 2 like thousands of people in the world.

Edited by themo

This is pure bullsh*it, you keep mentioning these mystical people who play Diablo 2 and I've never met or heard of anyone of them in real life. But not only that I don't see any real foundation for your claim of exceptional replayability in Diablo 2 you are talking about, not by a long shot.

o/

Still awesome, except for the lack of higher resolutions.

Most of what he says is true, though. Ok not sure about the butt comment, but you are plainly ignorant to the differences between the item system in Diablo II vs Dungeon Siege III.

Just as a taste...here is the affix system in Diablo II:

http://www.diablowiki.com/Affixes_%28Diablo_II%29

What I saw in DS3 was nothing even close to just the basic affixes/prefixes available in Diablo 2...forget about even bringing in the sheer amount of combinations, sets, uniques, gems, and rune words that all add into a pretty substantial and deep item system.

Or look at Titan Quest...and lets forget the fact it has THOUSANDS of regular items, but consider this:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/...function=search

Over 1700 set items alone...thats over 1700 items that all are absolutely unique both in looks and in stats. Every item you put on in has a different look and the entire items system has a whole litany of different possible stats and combinations. Again, this is just the special gear, Titan Quest has a deep and robust random item system as well who know how many individual item art and stats.

If you can't see the difference, that's only because you are either unable to (never really played) or just stubbornly refuse to.

Regarding how many people play Diablo II, to this very day (10 years later) is still played by THOUSANDS of people online every single day. The fact you don't know anyone who plays doesn't mean this isn't true.

Edited by Renevent

I always find it amusing when people, who have apparently not played even half the game, claim to be some kind of expert about the game.

That said, I *am* going to say that in terms of item variety, I always found the items in DS1 & DS2 a bit lacking in comparison to the Diablo's. By this I don't mean they were "bad" - but there was something about that them that I just didn't find...addictive. They weren't worth boss-hunting many many times for. Diablo's, man I wanted that Ring of Zodic or that Unique mage orb and I was gonna get it if it killed me. Diablo's items (and stats, in a way) are about serious number crunching. Sure, it may not seem like much of a difference, but if you put several .10 teleport speed items together, all of a sudden you could teleport like a fiend.

From the demo, DS3 appears to be of the same vein as the previous games, where I'm going to like the items that drop, but the sense of serious number-crunching, addictive feel of "MUST HAVE THIS" will not be there (for me). I don't think there's anything wrong with that, mind you...but item concepts, while similar, are most definitely not the same, nor as complex. But it could be if I play the whole DS3 game, I'll change my mind. It's not like I saw that much in the demo.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts