Tried demo.. its crap like this that will kill PC market

If the demo was to just show "graphics and gameplay nothing more" then the story elements wouldn't be in the demo....the fact they are proves you wrong.
:ermm:

Yes, they should've cut out the cinematics, the dialogues and the VO because they're not graphics or gameplay.

Heh. It's a wierd sort of logic, isn't it?

And if the story starts like a b movie, I'm pretty sure it will end like a b movie. Theres nothing dumb about drawing conclusions based upon the demo, thats what its there for.

Not for story, demos are there to showcase graphics and gameplay nothing more. Most games only start to get ineresting after the prologue, which is basically when DS3 demo finished.

If the demo was to just show "graphics and gameplay nothing more" then the story elements wouldn't be in the demo....the fact they are proves you wrong.

:lol::ermm:

This is why I say RPG demos are a bad idea.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Not my fault you can't appraise something readily in front of you. The reality is it's simply fanboyism blinding you though and this has really nothing to do with the demo.

The statement the demo "is for gameplay and graphics only" is patently wrong.

Edited by Renevent

Oh look, we're fanboys again. :ermm:

Sorry, I'm not the one here throwing a tantrum because DS3 isn't DS1.5. Neither the one who can't spend 15 minutes to get used to the controls but can can complain how they suck for days.

Sorry, I'm not the one here throwing a tantrum because DS3 isn't DS1.5. Neither the one who can't spend 15 minutes to get used to the controls but can can complain how they suck for days.

Controls were just fine for me, and I never said I wanted DS 1.5 so there goes that one.

The FACT is the demo had story elements, dialog, showed the dialog wheel, and the dialog involved in quests. It had cutscenes and voice work as well. While you can't judge if the entire story will be good/bad, you certainly can get an idea of the general quality of the previously stated elements.

The statement the demo was for "graphics and gameplay only" is absolutely incorrect.

Edited by Renevent

I don't know what kind of logic it is to imply that:

-the end user shouldn't have expectations/ opinions about a product

-it would take 15 minutes to get used to those controls :lol:

and I never said I wanted DS 1.5 so there goes that one.
I was referring to a very specific someone- who isn't you. :lol:

-it would take 15 minutes to get used to those controls :ermm:

Guess it's the same kind of logic that suggests I'm a fanboy just because I can enjoy a game for what it is. Or the same logic that says 'not what I wanted=bad'.

I'm not a korean SC2 multitasking god with 300 APM and reflexes of a ...something with great reflexes, yet I still could get used to the controls in a short time.

Funny how gamers lost the ability to adapt nowadays.

Edited by Oner

Not my fault you can't appraise something readily in front of you. The reality is it's simply fanboyism blinding you though and this has really nothing to do with the demo.

:lol:

Me an Obs fanboy.

Nope it's not.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

and I never said I wanted DS 1.5 so there goes that one.
I was referring to a very specific someone- who isn't you. ;)

-it would take 15 minutes to get used to those controls :lol:

Guess it's the same kind of logic that suggests I'm a fanboy just because I can enjoy a game for what it is. Or the same logic that says 'not what I wanted=bad'.

I'm not a korean SC2 multitasking god with 300 APM and reflexes of a ...something with great reflexes, yet I still could get used to the controls in a short time.

Funny how gamers lost the ability to adapt nowadays.

Theres a world of difference between mastery of controls (SC2 example) and functional controls. SC2 controls make total sense, and didn't change dramatically from sc1/ wc/wc2/wc3. DS3 controls are counter intuitive. Where are my spells? how do I change stances? Why can't I move with the mouse? Why can't I strafe/ move properly with wsad? Why do I need to press ESC 4 times to exit the status screen?

The reason people complain about this is because its reasonable to expect improvement/ honing/ streamlining in sequels. The controls for pc were an after thought, and extremely clunky. If you like them, great, but its unreasonable to think that others should too just because you do.

this is fun, we should do this more often

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

:lol:

Me an Obs fanboy.

Nope it's not.

Fine, lets say it isn't. But the background stories are; and they are equally 1 dimensional and derivative

Me an Obs fanboy.

Nope it's not.

Yup, it is, for all the reasons I listed. Though you can continue to just say "nuh uh!" if you want. You and that sorophx person argue very similar lol.

*edit*

Oh and thanks Subliminal...forgot about background stories too :lol:

Edited by Renevent

Me an Obs fanboy.

Nope it's not.

Yup, it is, for all the reasons I listed. Though you can continue to just say "nuh uh!" if you want. You and that sorophx person argue very similar lol.

I was just coping your 'patently wrong' line.

Oh and thanks Subliminal...forgot about background stories too

Fine, lets say it isn't. But the background stories are; and they are equally 1 dimensional and derivative

Which happens with every game and quite simply has little to no indication of the story. You see they are marketing speak and marketing speak always sounds 1 dimensional.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Oh and thanks Subliminal...forgot about background stories too :lol:

wth? who would expect to know the character's complete background to be revealed during prologue? don't you think Obsidian would want to make it a part of the story?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Theres a world of difference between mastery of controls (SC2 example) and functional controls. SC2 controls make total sense, and didn't change dramatically from sc1/ wc/wc2/wc3.
I mentioned the SC2 control skillz because that's a skill you need to play the game effectively. You don't need those kind of skills to play DS3. I don't have them, I'm an average person (just like you, and most everyone here, I assume?). Doesn't keep me from playing the game almost flawlessly.

DS3 controls are counter intuitive. Where are my spells? how do I change stances? Why can't I move with the mouse? Why can't I strafe/ move properly with wsad? Why do I need to press ESC 4 times to exit the status screen?
1-2-3; Q; you can; you can dodge instead of strafing- not the same, I know, but works just as well; you either press Esc twice or F (if you're on the inventory screen, obviously) once. All the buttons for fine control are in a neat package under your left hand within reaching distance.

next time try to write comprehensive sentences :lol:

Walsingham said:

DS3 controls are counter intuitive. Where are my spells? how do I change stances? Why can't I move with the mouse? Why can't I strafe/ move properly with wsad? Why do I need to press ESC 4 times to exit the status screen?
1-2-3; Q; you can; you can dodge instead of strafing- not the same, I know, but works just as well; you either press Esc twice or F (if you're on the inventory screen, obviously) once. All the buttons for fine control are in a neat package under your left hand within reaching distance.

I think the biggest problem is that the demo doesn't do a good job of explaining the controls, especially if someone is coming in expecting a more traditional DS1/2 experience. I figured them out by the end of the demo but it wasn't until about half way through that I discovered how to dodge and use my skills :). The lack of keyboard mapping didn't help either.

That was a benefit of the 360 demo. It had a menu option to see the controller map. But the PC demo did not. Not sure why. Hopefully remapping is in full, but it would have been nice to have in the demo.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would have liked to see more of a sense of urgency from the characters in the demo. Stuff is kind of going to hell for these last remnants of the legion and there must be some treachery happening and stuff is burning and people are dead etc etc. ...

Me an Obs fanboy.

Nope it's not.

I was just coping your 'patently wrong' line.

Oh and thanks Subliminal...forgot about background stories too

Which happens with every game and quite simply has little to no indication of the story. You see they are marketing speak and marketing speak always sounds 1 dimensional.

Well, okay; Is the voice acting going to be the same as it is in the demo? Is the radial dialogue menu going to show up every 5 steps like it did in the demo? Are my choices in the dialogue going to matter as little as they did in the demo? Are the characters going to talk in a completely flat an unemotional tone like they did in the demo? Are the characters going to have the same expression on their face the whole game?

If yes to one or more of those things than the story will be bad in either presentation or content (its bad on both counts so far from the available info)

Marketing is meant to show the BEST parts of the product; you know, like a movie trailer. If the promotional material is bad, then chances are so will the product. Look at the promotional material for diablo 3; they showcase GAMEPLAY and LORE/STORY. Things people will want/ enjoy; people don't want rehashing of fantasy achetypes (10th legion, lmfao).

they have good writing, everything else is usually mediocre or worse.

BS :) their art department is very good, and encounter/level design in most games reaches genius levels at times. can't comment on the engines, since this is the first game to use an in-house engine. so what's left... character development is usually good, they have good designers working on their leveling systems. what else... I guess one could say their games lack polish, but that's understandable at least, though not excusable of course.

what do you mean by "mediocre or worse"? :ermm:

So what about NMA's little crusade? The wide majority of people enjoyed Fallout 3, from what I can remember.

what crusade? :o

the only people who really enjoyed FO3 were those who had never played the originals.

The art is hit and miss, and not helped by the myriad of horrible engines. The quests/encounters are cool, level design has been from horrid to functional from what I can recall. The mechanics have actually been awesome(discounting the numerous bugs), I especially dug the AP perk system. But yeah, the writing is the main thing that stands out in their stuff, if anything.

As for the FO3 comment, shots fired (and already returned).