Tried demo.. its crap like this that will kill PC market

it still doesn't mean that everything else in their games is mediocre to horrible :) the writing stands out because it's the best in the industry. but a lot of developers make worse games than Obsidian, especially the ones in the same league. (not to mention companies like BioWare that have no excuses really to release crap like DA2)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

it still doesn't mean that everything else in their games is mediocre to horrible :blink: the writing stands out because it's the best in the industry. but a lot of developers make worse games than Obsidian, especially the ones in the same league. (not to mention companies like BioWare that have no excuses really to release crap like DA2)

It's hard to argue with opinions.

My point was that Obsidian's schtick was and is writing, like Valve's is super polish and Bethesda's is open worlds.

oh, now that you put it that way :blink:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

a lot of developers make worse games than Obsidian, especially the ones in the same league.

QFT ...but haters will never admit that. If the game have tons of glitches they deal with the problem and swallow it, except if the game is developed by Obsidian. Personally; think the hate against Obsidian is ridiculous. I read today in gamespot forums that someone made a thread saying that Obsidian should be called the franchise Killer ??? why ? just because the game isn't developed by your favorite devs? ...common some gamers really need grow up. IMO.

Edited by Alpha

someone made a thread saying that Obsidian should be called the franchise Killer

well, I guess people would rather never play games in their favorite series at all, than have a talented studio try and bring something new to it. for some reason people refuse to believe the one killing their fav game is the publisher. :getlost:

Walsingham said:

a lot of developers make worse games than Obsidian, especially the ones in the same league.

I read today in gamespot forums that someone made a thread saying that Obsidian should be called the franchise Killer ??? why ? just because the game isn't developed by your favorite devs?

Thinking about it, this is actually quite true, no Obsidian-developed franchises have got direct sequels :getlost:

I think Alpha Protocol has created a new generation of embittered people. Us old folk have become soft in our late years, you'll have to fight the good fight in our stead.

no Obsidian-developed franchises have got direct sequels :getlost:

well, we can be sure that FO4 is coming :lol:

Walsingham said:

no Obsidian-developed franchises have got direct sequels :getlost:

well, we can be sure that FO4 is coming :lol:

Eh... FO:NV was a spin off rather than a sequel, though. Don't get me wrong.... I'm playing FO:NV now and I think it is a great game. I would love to see a FO:NV 2 in the future if it was possible. =)

I would love to see a FO:NV 2 in the future if it was possible. =)

I'd rather have Obsidian do some other area, or another time period even. maybe the Resource Wars game, that would be interesting

Walsingham said:

I would love to see a FO:NV 2 in the future if it was possible. =)

I'd rather have Obsidian do some other area, or another time period even. maybe the Resource Wars game, that would be interesting

Hmmm, I agree with you there. Actually, why not the time when the bombs fell (or shortly after)? When everything was real chaotic... Or, maybe even a story that takes place in a different country. I'm still curious how other parts of the world were effected by the war.

The Fallout universe has a lot of depth that can be explored, so there would be no shortage of scenarios, I'm sure. =)

it's vague to give room to fanfic writers, I see no reason not to make prequels :huh: would sure beat the hell out of NV2

Walsingham said:

QFT ...but haters will never admit that. If the game have tons of glitches they deal with the problem and swallow it, except if the game is developed by Obsidian. Personally; think the hate against Obsidian is ridiculous. I read today in gamespot forums that someone made a thread saying that Obsidian should be called the franchise Killer ??? why ? just because the game isn't developed by your favorite devs? ...common some gamers really need grow up. IMO.

Many companies make games WORSE, sure, there are thousands of terrible games. But that doesn't mean that what Obsidian puts out is good. If I get a D and someone else gets an F that doesn't make my D look awesome, does it.

Fallout was about starting fresh

this is true, but still, I think a lot of people would be interested in exploring the universe's past. not to mention Bethesda will not give FO4 or 5 to Obsidian, so a spinoff set in the past in Europe could work quite well

Walsingham said:

there's no pleasing you hardcore fallout fans...

Walsingham said:

I was really looking forward to this game. I loved DS 1 and 2. I have no idea what this? Seriously WTF i have played free RPG games that are better than this crap. I just want to shout EPIC FAIL at the top of my lungs.

I don't know but I skim first and if a comment doesn't seem to have interesting content, I'd skip reading almost automatically. Generally speaking, if I'm reading criticisms, they should have something solid, based on relatively objective factors. You know, its internet and quite many personal reviews tend to just show personal likes and dislikes or plain simple frustration than offering useful information to the others. You cannot read every single comment like that.

That said, I found some criticisms are valid. However, as for using Dungeon Siege franchise, it's more of Square Enix marketing strategy rather than what Obsidian could do. We had issues with SecuRom and Steam requirement in the past but these are decisions from publishers and beyond the hands of Obsidian/Black Isle Studio. Also, focus on stories are earlier design decision. SE seems to be targeting various regions. Typical JRPGs have stories and I think Lucas' model is designed for both Eastern and Western markets, for example. The same goes to the decisions on so called "consolizations." Even Blizzard seems to be struggling to adopt Diablo III to consoles and I think we cannot do anything about this aspect of game industry business. As for multi-players...I guess I don't have enough knowledge about this one especially it seems to be aimed at consoles. In any case, these are about design decisions and, I, honestly, don't have idea on how it will sell till the game is released on major regions.

So, valid and reasonable criticisms to Obsidian are mainly about the unpolished control/camera works, which was not hard to foresee, and frigid character expressions, which were, at least, for me, tough to expect for a game which has focus on dialogues.

Now about bad voice acting. Chris Avellone's characters tend to have better voice acting and I remember he wrote somewhere that he gives quite many descriptions about scenes and characters for voice actors (Knowing his earlier works, I guess he wouldn't be satisfied with just dialogues). Wonder how many Obsidian writers practice this, though. Also, I couldn't but notice someone pointed out slow starting. Even relatively new RPG maker CD Projekt Red found this as a typical RPG issue and addressed it in their own way (However, I wonder if they are in the right track since, in the Witcher 2, <warning: mild spoiler for the beginning of the game>

they put the players under to pretty lethal dragon breath despite the fact that they are yet to be introduced to basic controls

).

I don't know but I skim first and if a comment doesn't seem to have interesting content, I'd skip reading almost automatically. Generally speaking, if I'm reading criticisms, they should have something solid, based on relatively objective factors. You know, its internet and quite many personal reviews tend to just show personal likes and dislikes or plain simple frustration than offering useful information to the others. You cannot read every single comment like that.

That said, I found some criticisms are valid. However, as for using Dungeon Siege franchise, it's more of Square Enix marketing strategy rather than what Obsidian could do. We had issues with SecuRom and Steam requirement in the past but these are decisions from publishers and beyond the hands of Obsidian/Black Isle Studio. Also, focus on stories are earlier design decision. SE seems to be targeting various regions. Typical JRPGs have stories and I think Lucas' model is designed for both Eastern and Western markets, for example. The same goes to the decisions on so called "consolizations." Even Blizzard seems to be struggling to adopt Diablo III to consoles and I think we cannot do anything about this aspect of game industry business. As for multi-players...I guess I don't have enough knowledge about this one especially it seems to be aimed at consoles. In any case, these are about design decisions and, I, honestly, don't have idea on how it will sell till the game is released on major regions.

So, valid and reasonable criticisms to Obsidian are mainly about the unpolished control/camera works, which was not hard to foresee, and frigid character expressions, which were, at least, for me, tough to expect for a game which has focus on dialogues.

Now about bad voice acting. Chris Avellone's characters tend to have better voice acting and I remember he wrote somewhere that he gives quite many descriptions about scenes and characters for voice actors (Knowing his earlier works, I guess he wouldn't be satisfied with just dialogues). Wonder how many Obsidian writers practice this, though. Also, I couldn't but notice someone pointed out slow starting. Even relatively new RPG maker CD Projekt Red found this as a typical RPG issue and addressed it in their own way (However, I wonder if they are in the right track since, in the Witcher 2, <warning: mild spoiler for the beginning of the game>

they put the players under to pretty lethal dragon breath despite the fact that they are yet to be introduced to basic controls

).

What?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29353...3-for-consoles/

They talked about porting the PC game, maybe, later to consoles. Not sure how they are struggling to develop for consoles, considering thats not in the works, and isnt planned until after the pc release (if ever).

A considerably different issue than simultaneous development for pc and consoles, with mediocre results.

Off Topic

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29353...3-for-consoles/

They talked about porting the PC game, maybe, later to consoles. Not sure how they are struggling to develop for consoles, considering thats not in the works, and isnt planned until after the pc release (if ever).

A considerably different issue than simultaneous development for pc and consoles, with mediocre results.

OK, then. It's just that I'm not eagerly checking news for any Blizzard product. However, the long development time makes me wonder and there have been being plenty articles about this "rumor." In any case, I'll rephrase the sentence to "even Blizzard is often rumored to be planning on possible console ports of Diablo III."