RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Seems like they all said the same thing. In any case, looks like it has some potential to be not sucky.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the old xcom games are squad turn based tactical + global strategy and micromanagement. there's no other game in the world like UFO, but it would be unfair to compare them. I still cry when I think about Project Dreamland

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I just hope Singularity sold well enough that more developers try their hand at the more narrative and gimmicky FPS games that Bioshock seems to have inspired. Right now it seems that only 2K is doing it (Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM), aside from a single Activision game (Singularity).

It's a bandwagon I'd like to see the industry jump on for a while.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

there was a game at E3 that tried something similar, it's a cover based shooter where you can manipulate gravity

holy ****! :) if only it supported community mods, it would be a dream shooter.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Loved Singularity. Would also love more of that.

@ArmA2 free: Very nice idea to get more attention to the game. I am a bit sad about the ArmA3 announcement, as I find that not even ArmA2 was 100% "used up" yet.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You mean Prey 2?

no

Walsingham said:

You mean Prey 2?

no

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

What's the title?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Inversion

Walsingham said:

did anyone see the Jagged Alliance demo? I want to know if I'm the only one disappointed by it

Walsingham said:

did anyone see the Jagged Alliance demo? I want to know if I'm the only one disappointed by it

I thought all those had been cancelled.

WHo is making this one?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, it looks like it is coming along decently. It isn't turn based, so that is a big bummer for me. The plan & go mode might be feasible. There are a few folks from the Silent Storm crew working on this, if I remember correctly, or they are using a modified engine from Silent Storm. This might mean it will be a decent tactical game.

My other big concern is that they won't have any of the personality of the JA series. It's tough to gauge that with a video, but the portraits alone lack the charm of the previous games.

It still isn't coming out until the end of the year or 2012, so we will see.

edit: To answer the original disappointment question, my expectations are already pretty low, so it didn't make them worse or anything.

Edited by Hurlshot

it looks dated, and they seem to be making a remake rather than a stand-alone game (the first part of the video shows the game map, which is Arulco, with UI taken straight from the original games, and it was never good to begin with, there's still hope it's only a placeholder screen for demo purposes). and for a remake this is inexcusable ;)

Walsingham said: