Lame Prestige Classes...

I think I've heard something about pain tolerance for melee prestiege classes as well. Whatever that means.

I envision a Guardian/Weapon Master. Melee freak I know, there are few things as satisfying as cutting enemies up the old fashioned way.

Another build I wanna try is a Guardian/Jedi Master.

If its as long as the first one it will be only 30-35 hours long and going from level 1 to 30 in anything less than 70 to 80 is downright stupid and definitely poor design work.

Unless you get your wish and we start out as a level 5 to 10 character right off the bat :lol:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

To be honest, I think that if each prestige class had class-specific Force powers, that would help improve replayability since you'd want to play through various times to experience those Force powers.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

On the subject of Prestige Classes,

It's all about specialization. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for about three years now, and while I have never been in a Star Wars campaign, I do have the revised core rules, which I've read several times. I've copious amounts of Prestige Classes on hand, and the general trend is specialization. You have Cavaliers, who excel at mounted combat, Thief-Acrobats, who can steal while walking tight ropes, and Red Wizards, who specialize in a school of magic, sacrificing their abilities in the other schools.

So, I suspect the prestige classes for this game will operate on a similar basis. You specialize in a given area, and as a result, you probably aren't as good in other areas. So, I suspect the Jedi Weapon Master, for example, will be better at melee combat than a plain 'ol Guardian, but it will have less access to force powers.

By the way, Star Wars d20 doesn't use force powers. The force abilities are based on feats and skills which require vitality points to use. There is no force meter. :p Finally, I'm not sure how close the Jedi Master will resemble the one in the Revised Core Rules. Light sabres work a lot differently in Knights of the Old Republic than in the RCV. Basically, they default at 2d8 damage, and every so many levels, the class adds another 1d8 of damage. So, KotOR is based loosely on Star Wars d20.

That about does it, methinks.

--Gheralt

Hmmmmm...  I hope Marauder/Weapons Master don't remove access of force abilities you've already gained.  I wanna bust out a saber-twirling force-lightninging bad boy!

I think that is highly unlikley.

I expect the pattern of the earlier classes will be followed: each PrC will get one automatic unique power which will upgrade at 6th and 12th level.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

And from my understanding of prestige classes, there are only five levels. They gain a unique ability at every level.

But that's in DnD. Obsidian may very well decide to change that (I'd like to see ten-level prestige classes).

Anyway, DnD prestige classes are more about customization (that's why there have ended up being so many of them), but in KOTOR 2 they seem to be natural extensions of their base class (even moreso than the Jedi classes are extensions of the non-Jedi classes).

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I wonder what powers a Watchman would have.

Force Tell the Time.

Force Annoying Ticking.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Ravok, you and your spam get out of my thread! Get out and stay out! Go spam other people's threads to bump your post count!

I think 20/10 Jedi/Prestige class would be perfect (and a level cap of 30), even if regular prestige classes are only five levels. I don't know how they'll make the level cap above 25 though (especially the 30-40) unless you can take multiple prestige classes (all of which are ten levels), or you can go above twenty in your original class.

Ravok, you and your spam get out of my thread!  Get out and stay out!  Go spam other people's threads to bump your post count!

I think 20/10 Jedi/Prestige class would be perfect (and a level cap of 30), even if regular prestige classes are only five levels.  I don't know how they'll make the level cap above 25 though (especially the 30-40) unless you can take multiple prestige classes (all of which are ten levels), or you can go above twenty in your original class.

??? why couldn't the reg classes be for 15 or 20 levels and the presstige classes be another 15 or 20 levels? or even 8 levels of reg classes (like KOTOR) then the remainder as presstige class?

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Because they're called Prestige Classes, which is a DnD term for a five-level class (there are only five levels of it, then you're done) you can take once you meet its requirements (typically a certain base attack bonus and a certain level in a certain skill or skills, though the requirements can be anything), each level granting a new ability.

And anyway, a level cap of 20 would be alright, since you'd have to choose (though I think most people would go 15/5 in one class and another). The 30-40 level cap is what is confusing me now...

I doubt Obsidian is following the WOTC guidelines strictly like that. From what Ive heard, d20 Star Wars pnp doesnt even have Prestige Classes. I dont believe Prestige Classes will have a limited number of levels, though I could be wrong. And even if they do, you should be allowed to continue leveling in your base class again if you havent reached the cap.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Because they're called Prestige Classes, which is a DnD term for a five-level class (there are only five levels of it, then you're done) you can take once you meet its requirements (typically a certain base attack bonus and a certain level in a certain skill or skills, though the requirements can be anything), each level granting a new ability.

And anyway, a level cap of 20 would be alright, since you'd have to choose (though I think most people would go 15/5 in one class and another).  The 30-40 level cap is what is confusing me now...

It might be a DnD term but this isn't a DnD game! So really they could make it 1level reg class and 99 prestige if they wanted. I don't see the problem with them balancing the two types of classes out (i.e. 15-20 of one and 15-20 of the other), that way you would be able to use more of the force powers and feats associated with the prestige class. I don't think it would take away from the game if they did that, if nothing it would maybe improve it for some people. I think they should have it set up similar to the way you became a jedi in KOTOR because making you have a set list of stats forces you to build the charactor the way they want not the way you want.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Just to clarify, this isn't entirely accurate.

PrCs (abbriviation for Prestige Class), in D&D can run ether 3, 5, 10, or (in the rare case of the Void Disciple) 13 levels. Its only in d20 modern that PrCs run only 5 levels.

As for d20SW, PrCs are most commonly 10 levels with an occational 5 level.

It is also possible, although unlikly, that the game might make use of D&D epic level rules, or something similar.

More than likely, Obsidian will simply have the PrCs have a full 20 level progression.