What are you playing now?

Syberia is pretty fun so far. Still in the first zone. The dialogue can be a bit broken if you do things differently than the way the designer thought you would, but not a big deal.

I played both of the Syberia games quite a while ago, there's a very odd style going on, I couldn't quite put my finger on why I kept playing but I'm glad I did, it's a nice but slightly daft tale.

Did some sort of embargo get lifted? Some closed documents opened? Can we really criticize AP without being told that we are playing it wrong or just generally stupid?

My world is turning upside down here, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Did some sort of embargo get lifted? Some closed documents opened? Can we really criticize AP without being told that we are playing it wrong or just generally stupid?

My world is turning upside down here, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Sorry, I've been busy.

You are playing it wrong and you are just generally stupid :)

Nobody ever said that the game was flawless except some random dudes.

But that counts for the best crpgs since 1999 in general.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who saw AP's graphical flaws as abhorrant. Its the worst art direction I've seen in a game, especially when you consider the HUD

I liked the art direction :)

Yellow isn't an art direction, yellow is just plain s***. Seriously, AP was BUTT ugly, and the Art Direction looked like something a programmer had come up with.

NOT GOOD!

It kinda improved as the game went along though, it was still bloody awful.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who saw AP's graphical flaws as abhorrant. Its the worst art direction I've seen in a game, especially when you consider the HUD

I liked the art direction :)

Yellow isn't an art direction, yellow is just plain s***. Seriously, AP was BUTT ugly, and the Art Direction looked like something a programmer had come up with.

NOT GOOD!

Did we really play the same game? Because Yellow sure as hell wasn't used everywhere.

Edited by C2B

I liked the art direction :(

NOT GOOD!

Did we really play the same game? Because Yellow sure as hell wasn't used everywhere.

Yes we did, and between the awful compression, colour clashes, colour clashing with the HUD, blandness, crappy pre-baked lighting etc... Well lets just say it was BAD.

This is sadly not even subjective as my thoughts on this are actually based upon my professional analysis, and conversations with actual existing art directors on said topics.

The theory about what they were trying to do was good, the implementation was awful... Guess it was down to budget, but hey, you be happy with your love of the mediocrity that is AP's art direction.

I don't even think the Obsidian guys would come out and say that it was stella art direction, I bet they were happy to ship the game, and they did the best job they could, but that doesn't change the fact there were clearly mistakes in art on that project.

Edited by Nightshape

This is sadly not even subjective as my thoughts on this are actually based upon my professional analysis, and conversations with actual existing art directors on said topics.

.... Arguings lost here, no?...

Well, I'll still enjoy the art in my entirly unprofessional way.

67391103.jpg

Mm_taipei_screen4.jpg

Edited by C2B

Hmph, plebeian.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

.... Arguings lost here, no?...

Well, I'll still enjoy the art in my entirly "unprofessional" way.

67391103.jpg

Mm_taipei_screen4.jpg

It's pointless to argue because there is no arguement to be had.

You can like it all you want... Hell you can love it and think its the best looking game ever, but it simply isn't... Are we really going to go down the road of taking a few screenshots and ripping them apart? This is without the fact you've got compression artifacts ontop of compression artifacts because you're using bloody jpg's.

As the game itself is played in motion it's all that really matters.

I suppose you're a terminal fanboi, so lets not argue?

It's pointless to argue because there is no arguement to be had.

You can like it all you want... Hell you can love it and think its the best looking game ever, but it simply isn't... Are we really going to go down the road of taking a few screenshots and ripping them apart? This is without the fact you've got compression artifacts ontop of compression artifacts because you're using bloody jpg's.

As the game itself is played in motion it's all that really matters.

I suppose you're a terminal fanboi, so lets not argue?

Well, a truly professional argument? No, there I can't argue with you because I don't have sufficent knowdlegde.

That the game is visually appealing to me completly apart from fanboyism? Well, thats just the truth.

... Also I hated KOTOR2s art direction apart from charachter designs and largly disliked the art direction of the NWN2 OC. (Just for the "fanboyism" argument) F:NV was pretty meh (Original and FO3s assets). I loved MOTBs/SOZs though.

Edited by C2B

On a completely unrelated note, the only 3D RPG whose art direction was worth a damn was the Witcher.

Maybe Bloodlines too.

And Gothic 3.

3D tech really took a poop on what an RPG could visually convey, scope wise.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I appreciate that Nightshape wants to share insights from the other side of the industry. That said, I would prefer if argument were made clearly and not on a vague basis, and I'd generally prefer to talk about certain subjects with people whose field is that subject.

Ergo, a programmer that talks about design and art direction doesn't necessarily offer the most insightful point of view, though he probably has more of an insight than a consumer (and of course, he will also come with an additional bag of biases).

"On a completely unrelated note, the only 3D RPG whose art direction was worth a damn was the Witcher.

Maybe Bloodlines too."

Oh no, you didn't!

Bloodlines > Witcher

No contest.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"On a completely unrelated note, the only 3D RPG whose art direction was worth a damn was the Witcher.

Maybe Bloodlines too."

Oh no, you didn't!

Bloodlines > Witcher

No contest.

Where do you get replacement keys for your <>?

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This is sadly not even subjective as my thoughts on this are actually based upon my professional analysis...

So you think your opinion is worth more because of your job? How conceited can one get?

Please, tell us, how long have you worked in this field to gain this awesome knowledge that none of us plebeians can touch? Ten years? 20?

I think you're a ****ing programmer with less than 5 years in the industry. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not interested in taking art advice from you.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Tried a bit Commandos 3 today. The tutorial feels like shizzle already. Doubt that I will play it anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Tried a bit Commandos 3 today. The tutorial feels like shizzle already. Doubt that I will play it anymore.

It's all about Desperados, brah.

Speaking of which.

I'm thinking about buying Helldorado. Is it any good?