Why not give bums the option of euthanasia?

Guest The Architect

Guest The Architect

Probably an idea you've heard before, but seriously, why not? Sure, they could continue the everlasting struggle with their sad lives, and cling on to a small hope that their lives could change, or they could say, "**** it." and put themselves out of their misery.

I don't want this to turn into another for or against euthanasia debate, this is specifically about homeless people, even people in third world countries, or anyone who's not only finding no joy in life, but extremely unhealthy and struggling to survive.

It depends, if you mean a comfortable transition by morphia, in a safe and supportive environment... I'd say no.

If you are suggesting they be chased screaming down the streets of a small old world Spanish town by regened velociraptors, or flung from a trebuchet into the Hudson river while holding sparklers, then I say yes.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No personal attacks, if you don't like the topic, exit stage left.

I think the very impact of telling bums or homeless people or whoever "hey, you fall into the category where your life is so crap euthanasia is acceptable" is probably more terrible.

Modest Proposal, bitches.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It depends, if you mean a comfortable transition by morphia, in a safe and supportive environment... I'd say no.

If you are suggesting they be chased screaming down the streets of a small old world Spanish town by regened velociraptors, or flung from a trebuchet into the Hudson river while holding sparklers, then I say yes.

The mental picture :lol:

oh oh....can the regened velociraptors be covered in feathers, have nose rings, and be genetically altered to have red lipstick lips :p

One time a mayoral candidate here made an announcement that he discovered the final solution to the homeless problem. Was pretty funny

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest The Architect
You really are a little attention whore aren't you. Look at me, I'm outrageous while pretending to be serious.

I am serious dip****, so why so touchy? Is your mother a bum or something?

As long as there are bridges, people will always have the option of easily available self-euthanasia. It wouldnt just be homeless people either, we could build handicap ramps that go over the railings and hand out pamphlets about bridges every time someone makes a purchase of antidepressants at the drugstore.

Modest Proposal, bitches.

What you did there, I saw it. :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

oh oh....can the regened velociraptors be covered in feathers, have nose rings, and be genetically altered to have red lipstick lips :p

OK, I don't know what scares me more now: the velociraptors, or you.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK, I don't know what scares me more now: the velociraptors, or you.

Yeah, holy crap! Everyone knows that velociraptors need pink lipstick to bring out their eyes. Red?! What is wrong with you, man??

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm all for it. If the person(s) that volunteer for the euthanasia are healthy enough, we could harvest their meat and feed the hungry. In that, more jobs would also be created. It would have to be a very carefully managed and governed project though. Remember, the holocaust started with castration of criminals, the disabled and eventually lead to varying euthanasia and you know how that story ended up.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

No personal attacks, if you don't like the topic, exit stage left.

I think the very impact of telling bums or homeless people or whoever "hey, you fall into the category where your life is so crap euthanasia is acceptable" is probably more terrible.

Apologies for the uselessness of my post, but I can't imagine this topic is anything other than extremely offensive trolling and I'd pretty much expected that a mod such as yourself would have deleted it by now despite the OP's claims that he or she is indeed "serious". Actually, I CAN imagine it's not trolling and I find that possibility far worse because it doesn't seem like the thing a balanced individual would say and I fear for the safety of those around an individual who actually means this. Implying someones life is so worthless they should think about killing themselves off seems to me to be not only a horrible thing to joke about (let alone seriously consider) but also dangerous towards those who may or may not have a very strong psyche or depression problems. This topic makes me feel like I'm being goatse'd rather than invited to a real discussion.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Why is the value on human life so high? If people that contribute nearly nothing, if anything, to the the world are voluntarily removed from the equation, how is that such a negative and offensive thing? It could even be saving one from a life of extreme poverty, depression, and perhaps even humiliation. It's on par with pulling the plug on persons in a vegetative state. They contribute nothing other than draining their friends and families emotions and finances. How can something like the OPs original post not help with the inevitable threat of over-population? There isn't much being done about it.

First of all, who are you to say what's a valid contribution? I know "bums" who are more famous and a source of more friendship to people than you will ever be. One of the local bums used to be a famous guitarist before he had a breakdown and has grown to become part of our culture and identity - there are freaking postcards of the guy. Does this make your life worthless in comparison? Should a person be judged on their "contribution", like a machine? Does the fact you grew up in a way that let you develop yourself and that they were less lucky give you any more right to live than they do? If you base the value of a human life on how much you by extension of your society get better from it, well, I just find that extremely selfish. It's not up to us to judge the value of a human life - if you have a breakdown, would you want someone to help you when you're depressed and thinking about ending it, or would you want some fool who didn't think it through or has no empathy to offer you the ways and means?

Also, do you really think having a few homeless people commit euthanasia will solve overpopulation? Really?

Edited by TrueNeutral

I think it's a start. There's lots that can be done about over population. I think people's high horse of 'human life is too precious to put a price on' is complete crap. We're humans. That's it. Sure we have a brain and we're creative and we feel and think. But how does that mean that we can breed and voluntarily turn our heads to oblivion when regarding things like this that are just considered 'morally wrong.' Persons believing that nobody's life or death should be decided by others is nonsense. I'd would rather have in-stone convicted child molesters, rapists, serial murderers, unwanted fetuses put to death. Keep in mind this is entirely my opinion and I'm not at all saying 'feel this way or you're going to Auschwitz or Hell!'

To me, it makes sense to take steps, even if it's baby steps in regards to the threat of over population. The irony is is that I don't hold much value on human life but I care about the well being of the human races' future. *chuckles* I don't get that. I think having a stable human population is something the world would benefit from. A harmonous balance of farming grounds, commercial and residential properties, jobs, nature. Then again, perhaps I'd change my mind if I decided to look further into humans expanding their habitat to space stations and other planets.

But for right now I'd rather give the choice "Cake or Death?!"

I agree to disagree. You have a compelling debate as most people do. I'm not saying that I'm 100% in agreement with my posts (sometimes I like to pick people's brains for the hell of it). On a moral and ethical stand point, I'm in agreement with you, Mr. Neutral.

And since you're such a good sport you can have two pieces of cake ... and chicken, but in the reverse order.