Let's Play Neverwinter Nights

sorophx

Begin Troll

why are there are only two people in the party?

also, a fighter and a wizard? who is going to heal them when they get hurt? who will pick locks and find traps? is this a D&D game with no traps? inquiring minds want to know!

End Troll

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

ha, actually, I do have one more laptop, I could make it 3, but that would be very hard to pull off :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Then wouldn't the academy use a counter spell to counter the counter spell used to counter the detect alignment/illusion spell? But then the spies/zents or other evil faction would obiously anticipate this and use a counter spell to counter the counter spell that was used to counter the counter spell that was used to counter the first spell. And so a viscious pattern would ensue. I suppose that's why they needed to train new heroes in the first place, because the academy members were busy countering the counters that would counter their counters to the counters that would stop their detect alignment/illusion spell from working. Except they wouldn't be able to train anyone because their detect alignment/illusion spells would never work and they wouldn't know if the heroes were actually spies/zents or another evil faction. What a plothole that was!

LOL

Thanks man, that post made my day.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

if you read closer, you'll see, that KB is going to be a fighter/rogue once I rack up in levels. I made it through most of the game as a ranger with a barbarian henchman, health was never a problem

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"also, a fighter and a wizard? who is going to heal them when they get hurt? who will pick locks and find traps? is this a D&D game with no traps? inquiring minds want to know!"

I have never played a D&D game where a rogue was required. Heck, i have never played a RPG where a rogue was required.

And, like all RPGs, NWN OC has tons of healing potions around to be used.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When my players roll they know they need a rogue.

traps, picking locks, scouting ahead, without someone to handle these tasks the party will die.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

CRPGs are not PnP.

"traps, picking locks, scouting ahead, without someone to handle these tasks the party will die."

Horrible DM. The best DM cator their campaigns for the pklayers not the other waya round. This, btw, can mean many things including giving them the oppurtunity to hire a 'scout' npc; but a DM should never be the one demanding players need x class/race/gender unless its some sort of special campaign.

P.S. This would eman I would never require players to have fighters , mages, or clercis as PCS either. i woukld craft the campaign around them, and if a quest came up where it wa slogical a cleric/mage was needed I'd give them options around the issue 9that they may or may not figure out).

That's what a GOOD dm would do. Are you a good DM or a bad DM?

Edited by Volourn

I'm not a good DM, i'm a GREAT one.

The players all know the rules though, the world is dangerous, you must be prepared for danger ahead of time. Part of being prepared is being ready for any situation because some dungeons have traps in them, some don't. Some dungeons have monsters in them that are resistant to magic, some don't. some dungeons have powerful NPC's or creatures that must be reasoned with, not fought.

the players know these situations can arise at any moment and thus always make a well rounded party capable of handling any situation. (though our current game they have decided to have two rogues and no cleric, so they are being careful about stocking up on potions etc ahead of time, but they think the risks are worth it to have one rogue dedicated to traditional dungeoneering, and another to diplomacy)

now, don't get me wrong, if I was playing with inexperienced players, or morons, I'd be more forgiving, but I don't make games with morons in mind.

Edited by entrerix

you know what I do for a living, right?

-_-

welcome to Neverwinter! time to pick the story up from where we left our dark heroes the last time.

81759655.png

first thing's first, do you guys care about the dialogues in this game? should I transcribe them/make screenshots? I should've asked earlier. so today's update won't have any of that (the fact that the game doesn't save screenshots in chronological order, isn't helping this at all), and by the time I'm doing the next part we better had come to a decision.

I keep having technical issues. first of all, I can't take screenies on my laptop because the fn+prt scr combination doesn't work in-game. second, the guest-machine keeps freezing (graphic card issues), and sometimes I forget to save the character. other times the character saves overlap deleting my most recent progress. I now have a very nasty gap of 2000 xp between the two characters because of all this crap. :grin: but nobody said it was going to be easy. I'm Kaftan Barlast. Just shut up and answer my questions.

1intro.png

but this is for another update. today we will pillage the City Core and liberate one of the districts, grabbing one of the ingredients for The Cure in the process.

as soon as our duo left the dreadful Halls of Justice, some hysterical woman approached them begging for help. turned out her family got stuck inside the Peninsula District, which was closed off after the prison break started. somehow the timing of this riot seemed awfully convenient, and it attracted the drows' attention. it was then decided to go straight for the city prison. but not before Kaftan had looted every chest, barrel and building in the area. they needed the money. while KB was busy salvaging, Volo made a quick stop at the Cloaktower guildhall.

2eltoracloaktower.png

seemed like a good idea to join, of course that Eltoora character wanted something fetched. gave Volo a key. well, got to keep an eye out for the secret laboratories. sounds easy. Volo decided to hire a bodyguard, because KB tends to forget about his sorcerer friend in the heat of the battle. a barbarian seemed like a good choice.

4daelan.png

enter Daelan Red Tiger. at least now Volo felt safe knowing he could alway hide behind this "wall".

Peninsula district turned out to be pretty boring. Volo and KB had two immediate tasks: to burn the numerous corpse piles and to get inside the prison. of course Volo and KB couldn't care less about the clean streets, they're drow for god's sake, they're immune to disease. so the bodies of dead plague victims were left to rot on the streets.

5prison.png

the prison gates were closed, naturally, barricaded from the inside. there was a way to get in still, through the back door. the key to which was in possession of one of the lieutenants of the bandit leader. Kaftan found him in the sewers and gutted him like the rat that he was.

7sewersprison.png

still, Volo had acquired some new information regarding the riot. turned out it had been started by the warden himself. the warden's cousin, lady Tanglebrook had disappeared around the time the riot started, her maid and butler both said that she used to visit her cousin via a tunnel between her home and the prison. Volo thought it was a much better idea to take this less known route in order to avoid unnecessary attention. finding the house was easy, and even easier to get inside.

8doormat.png

kind lady Tanglebrook left the key under the door mat. the party found lady Tanglebrook underground, dead, with her brains sucked out of the skull.

9passage.png

only one thing could do that. there wasn't any doubt, one of the waterdhavian creatures was inside the prison and it caused all this.

the peninsula district prison is one of the worst dungeons in the game. before going inside I went back to town and hired Linu to watch over KB, thus the party grew to 5 members. with this setup the whole prison is just opening doors, letting your NPCs see the enemy, wait 'til everything is dead, open next door, rinse and repeat. 3 levels of this... the only more or less interesting battle happened on the second floor, when an enemy sorcerer managed to pull off two fireballs, while Volo and KB were bumping into each other in the corridor. that was the first time I had to reload. these badly designed dungeons cultivate recklessness...

12minibossdead.png

this is us kicking some half-orcish butt. he had to die. then the party descended into the Pits to confront the notorious Head Gaoler. good thing the drow know how to handle Intellect Devourers. the Gaoler fell so fast I didn't even had time to make a screenshot, was busy running with Volo persuading the zombies to leave.

13boss.png

this is arguably the toughest battle and the hardest ingredient to get of the 3. I didn't find it all that tough, probably because the brain-dog kept trying to stun my party and was being constantly interrupted. I can't remember the other 2, though. I had my usual crash during this battle losing Kaftan. had to retreat and regroup. well, that's one. two more to go in this chapter.

that's it for today. sorry for the hasty update, I got really tired of the technical side of things. next time I'll be more thorough.

Walsingham said:

Try fraps or your preferred 3rd party app for images. As for dialogues, the less I see the better but it's up to you/others. :grin:

I don't remember the giant chess field, what was that about? Throwback to Durlag?

you know what I do for a living, right?

Mandrill pimp?

~~

Good effort on the screen shots.

For those who may get confused by the illusion of complexity, just follow the template below.

You are at a crossroads. There are four paths heading away, north, south, east, and west.

An entity approaches you and tells you that they need four objects to solve their problem.

-} Go North

You are in a location. An entity approaches you with a problem related to their area. They mention that a local bad guy possesses one of the four artifacts you seek.

At one end of the location you see an exit to another area, guarded by some monsters.

-} Kill monsters

You kill the monsters.

-} Use exit

You are in a subordinate location. You see many monsters.

-} Kill monsters

You kill the monsters.

-} Look

You see a puzzle, and a scary monster.

-} solve puzzle

No.

-} Solve puzzle

This time you solve the puzzle.

You see a scary monster, accessible or weakened by your puzzle solving.

-} Kill scary monster

You kill the scary monster. You now see an artifact.

-} Take artifact

You take the artifact.

-}Smash fifty million chests

You see an array of completely random loot. Some open chests in corridors contain fabulous suits of armour. Many locked chests behind bars contain dried beans.

-} Take all.

You take all.

-} Return to crossroads

You return to the crossroads, retracing your steps over terrain you already know. This is very boring.

You are at a crossroads. There are four paths heading away, north, south, east, and west.

-} Go east....

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"I'm not a good DM, i'm a GREAT one."

Doubtful. A great DM crafts the campaign for the characters/players not for their own selfworth/

"The players all know the rules though, the world is dangerous, you must be prepared for danger ahead of time."

Duh. That's true everything. I have no problem having PCs die whether its due to their own stupidity, bad luck, or just simply getting beat.

"Part of being prepared is being ready for any situation because some dungeons have traps in them, some don't. Some dungeons have monsters in them that are resistant to magic, some don't. some dungeons have powerful NPC's or creatures that must be reasoned with, not fought."

Being prepared is one thing, but you miss the point. You cna still have trapped ruins without the party having an actual rogue as long as there are multiople ways to get past them. Heck, what would you do if the PCs hear there are traps that will kill them a certain dungeon and simply don't bother go them? Do you find a way to force them to go? That's also poor DMing. A DM shouldn't force players to go anywhere. the story should never be more important than the party since the characters should be the story.

"the players know these situations can arise at any moment and thus always make a well rounded party capable of handling any situation. (though our current game they have decided to have two rogues and no cleric, so they are being careful about stocking up on potions etc ahead of time, but they think the risks are worth it to have one rogue dedicated to traditional dungeoneering, and another to diplomacy)"

Players should be aware that anything can happen. That's the nature of the game. However, NOTHINg should be absolutely required 'cause that means the DM failed.

"now, don't get me wrong, if I was playing with inexperienced players, or morons, I'd be more forgiving, but I don't make games with morons in mind."

It has nothing to do with being forgiving. I am one of the least forgiving DMs of all time. Trust me on that. It's about understanding your role as DM.

ON TOPIC: Keep up the good work, and ignore the constant anti NWN bashers who will spam this thread just to remind us all 8 years after the fact that 'NWN is the worst game of all time'. I'm all for your posting important/amusing dialogue. Heck, if you can, even record some of the more interesting fights.

Edited by Volourn

I don't remember the giant chess field, what was that about? Throwback to Durlag?

it's an optional area with a "puzzle", a +1 exotic weapon and a bunch of fire beetles. two exits, one leads to the Tanglebrook estate in the pen-district, the other to prison's first floor.

I'm all for your posting important/amusing dialogue. Heck, if you can, even record some of the more interesting fights.

hmmm. I'll have to look into this FRAPS business, it seems. as for the dialogue, I guess I should screenshot the conversations directly related to the story.

Walsingham said:

this is arguably the toughest battle and the hardest ingredient to get of the 3. I didn't find it all that tough, probably because the brain-dog kept trying to stun my party and was being constantly interrupted. I can't remember the other 2, though. I had my usual crash during this battle losing Kaftan. had to retreat and regroup. well, that's one. two more to go in this chapter.

I thought the fight against the Yuan-ti and the pirate lord were much harder personally.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Players should be aware that anything can happen. That's the nature of the game. However, NOTHINg should be absolutely required 'cause that means the DM failed.

I agree, problems with only one solution are the antithesis of pnp gaming.

If a party knows that a dungeon will be riddled with traps and they don't have a rogue then they damn well better not go in there, unless they hire a rogue for the trip, or do research and attempt to find the engineers who created the traps or their descendants who might have kept notes as to the types of traps involved, or at the very least hire some low-level mercenaries to send in first to set them off... though the party would probably shift alignment to evil for doing that unless they were all evil to begin with.

but yeah, they most likely would avoid the dungeon and find some other way of getting what they need.

I meant the creatures quest in particular. as for the first chapter, Lorax would be the toughest opponent for me.

I don't recall fighting a pirate lord :(

Walsingham said:

where were we? ah, yes, pleasure before business~

nwnhooker.png

last time our heroes managed to retrieve a very important item. but their enemies never sleep, so there's no time for slacking. off they went to the Blacklake district.

16513522.png

and of course as soon as they made it through the gates, some random chump decided it was a good idea to ask our crew for a favor. he wanted some big bad half-orc killed, "bring me his head" he said. very well, but only if we have time. finding the monster wasn't hard. he made his home in a ruined mage tower. at least this guy has taste.

310.png

to tell you the truth I always have trouble with this guy, Lorax. he hits like a truck and has a ton of HP. taking him at level 3 is a suicide. I had managed to pull it off a couple of times prior to this play through. and now, with two player characters instead of one I figured it should be cake. ha! as if. he destroyed our party without even breaking a sweat, in a matter of seconds. good thing one of the machines decided to freeze at this point, so I was saved from disgrace. don't worry, Lorax, we'll be back, after we get a couple of levels under the belt.

anyway, at the exit from the No-Man's Land (this is the slum area of Blacklake) we got ambushed by some cultists. on one of the bodies we found a note:

33786044.png

hmmm, maybe the rumors about Luskan being involved were true. maybe we should go back to Aribeth and show her this paper. or, better yet, directly to Fenthick.

41703731.png

:o can you believe this Desther character? what a richard. he's obviously in league with the culprit(s), if only we were able to expose him. we will sooner or later, you just wait, Desther.

back in the Blacklake district we stumbled upon an angry mob, fronted by a bloodthirsty girl named Formosa.

74908566.png

we made a deal with her, for 500 gold we'd kill a noble named Meldanen. he had locked himself inside his estate, a head on approach wouldn't work here. good thing the drow specialize in covert operations. but first! Volo and KB couldn't just leave the area without checking every single home for shinies.

for one thing, Volo had to find the Cloaktower laboratory. this is what they look like:

49224475.png

it was the second one of Volo's quest. with 2 more to go. they also had a contract with a proprietor from the city core named Ophelia, she hired them to steal 3 objects of art from 3 rich estates. two of these were conveniently seated in front of Meldanen's front gates, so our despicable duo didn't even have to run very far.after grabbing the urn and the painting, they were about to hit Meldanen's place, but KB remembered the deal they had with a druid, to free the animals from the Zoo. so to the Zoo they went.

it's a pretty straightforward area, aside from harassing a local family there's not much to do. there are two bosses at the end of the dungeon, though. first one, a hunter nick-named "Sureshot".

48108465.png

he posed a medium threat, but a couple of sneak attacks cut him down just like they had any other. he was followed by the Pens Master. who went down so fast I hardly managed to screen his ugly face before he died.

63248844.png

at this point FRAPS stopped responding, but I didn't notice it until the game had crashed. that's a pity, I like the area outside the Zoo with the great tree and the portal. but yeah, we freed the animals, all 4 of them (you'd expect a bigger Zoo in a city like Neverwinter :lol: ).

before going to Meldanen we stopped by another house. it's owner told us about some strange noises coming from the cellar. funny thing was, the cellar was protected from entry by a bookcase with a password. the password being "Halueth", Volo knew this could only be one thing - Never's tomb. the party kicked around some skeletons, solved a puzzle and received access to the tomb... where they were immediately greeted by 4 animated swords! :lol: KB didn't last very long, Volo soon followed. load game. we'll be back.

67541820.png

the gates of Meldanen's estate looked impenetrable. so we figured there had to be some way over or under them. and there was. checking inside a house adjacent to the walls proved right, when Volo found an old lady there. turned out she was Meldanen's lover :o that old devil. well, she was bound to have a secret passage to his house. and the crew took it, but not before stripping her of all her possessions. that's right, we have a reputation to sustain.

to be continued in 30 seconds...

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

...resuming.

estates have to be the second worst thing in this game after maze-like prison-levels. this is the weakest point of the original NWN, too many poorly designed indoor areas. and, like Wals pointed out, the goddamn containers with randomized loot only make it worse. the first 2 chapters make you check every room and every corner for chests, to save up money for later use. gah!

for this reason I didn't scr/sh any of it. it's room after room with chests and occasional imps/guards. we did save a member of the city guard, Samuel. gotta remember to seek him out once we get out of this mess.

the only serious battle comes at the end, right before Meldanen's chambers. we had to kill his apprentice (a sorcerer, capable of casting Ice Storm), surrounded by imps and summons. this battle would've been difficult if not for one small detail, a caster without some sort of immunity/protection against physical attacks doesn't stand a chance if horded by melee fighters. the poor guy couldn't get one spell going.

same goes for Meldanen. he might be sporting fancy clothes, doesn't make him invincible.

67249213.png

he appeared with flare. but that was before he realized what he was up against. pretty soon he was begging for his life.

66089631.png

he stole the Dryad to try and brew the cure himself, to extort money from the city officials. by eventually her charms took their effect, Meldanen lost his head, figuratively speaking. and now he was about to lose it literally. sorry, chief, but we have a deal. and no, your best counter offer isn't good enough to spare your life.

79932323.png

and there she was, poor frightened creature. probably starving too. Volo let her go for a lock of her hair to present to Lady Aribeth.

but first!

310.png

yes, Lorax, time to die. this time we had something going. Barkskin and Bull's Strength were supposed to even the odds. and the extra HP from two level-ups. we buffed up, went in~

22310706.png

the result:

12loraxcut.png

whimp.

anyway, back at the Halls of Justice!

15920872.png

Aribeth was very pleased with us, too bad she couldn't be bothered to give us some real money as a reward. that's ok. Volo has a feeling they'll get a chance to take what's due from her very soon.

and that's it for today's double update. see you next time, when our brave obsidianites will travel where no sane person ever would set a foot, to Beggar's Nest!

88658519.png

(Volo's got a nice dress, don't you find?)

Walsingham said:

oh, fellas, come on! I can understand why you aren't excited about this LP, but TOEE? no one reads it >_< and we're about to get to the interesting stuff there, too.

well, it's your loss, really. as for this LP, today's update is going to be huge (close to 30 pics), so no more updates here either after this one 'til we get on a new page :p we're almost done with Chapter 1 by the way, two major areas left (and a bunch of loose ends to tie up). what pisses me off about this game (one of the many things) is the difference between good aligned and evil actions. the good choice always nets you more loot and xp. which doesn't make sense and in my opinion should be the other way around. but doing good deeds is more effective and I'll be playing this game this way. but it doesn't connect with the whole "two evil drow in disguises" thing. so for the sake of role-playing let's assume that they don't want to expose themselves by doing stupid crap like killing nobles or city officials, or stealing ancient artifacts and selling them to shady characters. they will steal anything that could help them in their mission. Volo and Kaftan always think several moves ahead and will not compromise the mission, even if it means acting as a bunch of do-gooders.

so, our drow heroes made their way to the Beggar's Nest. this area is completely overrun by zombies. all kinds of zombies. Volo figured it was definitely tied to one of the Waterdhavien creatures. all they had to do was sweep the whole area, house by house, and they were bound to find what they'd come for. and the very first house they went in turned up to be a shelter for one of the guards. Jemanie was his name. he told Volo about his missing brother Torin and asked the party to find him. he even provided some useful information.

the district is housing a secret cult, the Cult of the Eye, Torin became involved with these guys and was attending their services on a regular basis. in order to get into their headquaters one needs a special token, a rune stone. luckily Jemanie had his brother's stone, and Volo agreed to look for Torin as long s Jay gave him that stone.

now all they had to do was to find the right house. but Beggar's Nest had a lot more to offer.

nw1.png

Kaftan found a body near the gates leading to the cemetery. at first they thought it was Torin, but the dead guy's diary proved otherwise, his name was Marcus. was he yet another victim of the plague or murdered by zombies, there was no way of telling, and our heroes didn't care. but they did held onto Marcus's possessions, just in case.

after ransacking this area's Cloaktower lab the party found another survivor in one of the barricaded houses. he was a member of the local gang who called themselves the Sword Coast Boys, their base was established in an old warehouse, and judging by the guy's words that was the place where the undead infestation originated. it had begun around the time the Waterdhavien creatures escaped. he also mentioned his formed boss, Drawl, who had acquired a new powerful ally right around that time. the puzzle was coming together.

they still needed more information, because the problem was obviously more complicated than that. there was no way some small-time gang leader would get so much power without involving a third party. the party decided to check the inn and the temple of Helm, to look for more clues.

I'd forgotten to take pictures during this part, but there's not much to see anyway.

there are to NPCs at the inn we can interact with. first one is Drake. he says something about two guys, one named Krestal, another - Jemanie, who've gone missing. incidentally first one is the dwarf who tells the party about Drawl. so that's out of the picture already. the second NPC is a lot more interesting to us. his name is Harben Ashensmith, he will also mention Jemanie at first. but then he'll go into more detail about what happened in the area (most of it we already knew from Krestal and Jay). he will suggest going to the cemetery. and will mention a secret passage that leads there. apparently we can get there through the warehouse. but that's exactly where we're going, how convenient. but first it would be a good idea to check out the temple.

nw4.png

that's Bertram. he's looking for Marcus. Volo gave him Marcus's diary but kept the staff. outside the temple there's a small shop, inside's a guy named Hector who needs to find his boss, Aldo. there could be money in it, so the party agreed to escort him.

nw3.png

finding Elmo was easy, he stood right in the center of the district, crying like a baby. Kaftan was surprised Elmo had managed to stay alive for so long.

nw2.png

the area had already been cleared of all zombies by that time. but as soon as Elmo and Hector left, a group of assassins attacked Volo and Kaftan. they were very creepy and very week, the usual religious fanatic types. they did leave a note, though.

nw5cut.png

nw6cut.png

the cult of the eye again! very interesting. so, they are the ones who were behind the attack on the academy. but why? and who are these "Old Ones"? too many questions. maybe Fenthick can clarify some things.

nw7cut.png

DESTHE-E-ER! >_< you goddamn lowlife good for nothing~ we're busting our asses here for you, and you dare to question us. bah, better go check that warehouse out.

Walsingham said:

nw8x.png

it's a pretty small area. a pack of zombies in the main room, a Zombie Lord in a smaller room and a boss behind him guarding the entrance to the secret passage.

nw9.png

nw10.png

the lich's name is Drawl. as you have probably already guessed, all the zombies are former gang members, Drawl sacrificed his underlings to some higher power in exchange for eternal life. too bad he wasn't Volo-proof.

nw11.png

nw12.png

after killing Drawl we get a chance to release Walters, one of the missing guards. he was being held captive because of his history with the gang. well, Kaftan and Volo freed him and even made sure he got to the outpost safe. next stop - the cult's secret hideout.

nw13.png

the only reason to go in here is the extra XP. this area will eventually lead to the same secret passage the warehouse does. this place houses cultists rather than zombies. they are weaker but can cast spells, so the heroes had to be careful. here's the leader of the cultists fighting for his life.

nw14.png

he's a lot weaker than Drawl, though. so we made it through no problem.

nw15.png

for some reason I like this type of dungeons. they're probably the best NWN has to offer. they're plain and virtually transparent, you never get lost and as soon as you enter you know exactly where to go. this little area is very simple. there are two entrances on the opposite sides, once you go through one you can't take the other to go back. both paths lead to the central area with the exit, which is guarded by a rather tough Dire Spider. he can be a pain for certain setups. but not for us of course. after we were done with him it was time to come out into the cemetery.

nw16.png

you can see two crypts in the distance. one leads to Never's tomb, the other - into the Warrens of the Damned, that's where we're going. but of course Volo went into the Never's tomb and took the artifact (it was guarded by a mummy, but what could a simple mummy possibly do to Volo?).

nw17cut.png

Walsingham said:

as soon as our heroes entered the Warrens they were greeted by a possessed zombie.

nw18.png

yeah yeah, blah blah blah. and he wasn't the only one.

nw19.png

nw21.png

nw22.png

ooh, that's right, Volo finally got the mighty Fireball. he's now officially a mage. a rogue/sorcerer team is great when one can hide and the other - throw fireballs around. they both hit lv.6 in the middle of this session. Kaftan is fighter 3/rogue 3. I'll probably make him and Assassin once he hit's lv.8, though.

anyway, this dungeon is very simple. two paths leading to the boss. we took the right path and came across Torin, Jay's brother.

nw23.png

poor Torin, got mixed up with a very bad crowd, and that's what you get. Volo took a ring off his body to give to Jay. but Torin wasn't the only one they'd found that day. in the western section of the catacombs thy came across a cell with a priest of Cyric inside begging to set him free. they did so but only after he'd shared with them everything he knew about the place.

nw24.png

he was obviously insane and kept repeating something about the "old ones", chanting the same name over and over. it was "Gulnan". it was the creature who was holding him there. a snake-woman. obviously the yan-ti Volo and Kaftan came looking for. they found her room, and in that room a note.

nw25cut.png

pretty much what we already knew. ok, time to pay this Gulnan a personal visit.

nw26.png

this is a gimmicky fight, sort of. Gulnan can't be hurt (I think, I'm not sure) while the altar to the right stands. she is surrounded by a dozen undead and a couple of Cursed Monks, who are ferocious. as soon as you destory the altar, all the undead will be destroyed, so nobody will be standing between the party and Gulnan.

nw27.png

and on her own she's not that tough.

nw28.png

Kaftan ripped the heart out of her chest, put it in his pocket, thus they were done with another ingredient. 1 more to go, ladies and gentlemen. I can hardly wait.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said: