Let's Play Neverwinter Nights

sorophx

well, seeing as we went through a whole page without updates, I'm gonna put up one now. it's gonna be huge, it's 2 updates actually, merged into one. 50 pics, so check back in a couple of hours :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

and we're back! let's finish this chapter already (to tell you the truth, chapter 2 is the one I hate the most. it has a few fun moments, but overall is just a stupid grind through endless caves. and since this time we don't have Monte with us, there's nobody to appreciate the fighting in tunnels.

but yeah, meanwhile at the Neverwinter Docks.

01docksdistrict.png

this is the biggest district of the 4, and the toughest to get through. that's why we saved it for last. the whole area is overrun by a gang calling themselves Bloodsailors (I'll have to admit it's a better gang name than Sword Coast Boys).

02bloodsailoruniform.png

they still looked like a bunch of clowns, though. as soon as our heroes entered the area, they stumbled upon the neighborhood stalker named Neibor (very funny, BioWare, har har). he told that there was an auction being held at the Seedy Tavern. the main lot being the cure for the plague. obviously a ruse. but the last Waterdhavien was definitely implicated. thus the duo had a new objective, investigate the Seedy Tavern. the auction had been organized by Bloodsailors captain Vengaul, so it would be a good idea to find and interrogate him, too.

03docksambush.png

as usual the party got ambushed by the same group, that had done it previously in other districts. and of course they left behind yet another note.

04lettertofenthickcut.png

05lettertofenthickbcut.png

what do you know, an agent inside the Neverwinter castle. who would've thought. I wonder who it could be... what do you think, Desther Fenthick?

06fenthickreward.png

Volo had had enough of this fool Desther. back to the streets of the Docks district!

there were a couple of structures that had to be inspected. Volo found the last laboratory of the Cloaktower guild. they checked the local store, the Twenty In A Quiver, and the inn, but nothing came out of it. everybody kept repeating the same thing about Vengaul holding an auction. Kaftan also found a family of nobles on the street. they were looking for their family heirloom, an amulet. they'd given it to one of Vengaul's lieutenants, Callik, in exchange for safe passage to Luskan. sounded like just the person to ask about Vengaul and the missing creature.

07mastersonfamily.png

there's a couple more NPCs in this area, the purpose of most of them I'll never know. this one, however, is different.

08hrott.png

it's a quest that can be gotten at the brothel (you've seen the picture in one of the previous updates). one of the hookers will ask to kill this guy. but I screwed up the conversation with the quest giver, so this guy got to live. there's another side-quest here. inside the Androd Estate there's an item we can steal for Ophala, the brothel's proprietor.

09estate.png

this quest was designed for rogues, good thing we have Kaftan on our side. that was the last piece we needed to complete the quest.

they still had to check one last house. once inside, they were attacked by a large group of Bloodsailors. and on the second floor they had to take out a Bloodsailor lieutenant. but it was worth it.

10ordersfromcalikcut.png

jackpot! the plot thickens. Callik had decided to take Vengaul's place. now Volo and Kaftan were being pressured by this new competition and had to hurry.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

it was time to enter the Seedy Tavern and check it out. there are three ways to get in, get some uniforms and enter via the front door. bribe the lady at the front door to let you in or use the side door, that can be opened with the key which Kaftan had found previously at the Bloodsailors hideout. how very convenient.

once inside the tavern Volo and Kaftan had to find Callik as soon as possible. but nobody would talk to them. finally, Kaftan found a way.

these guys, despite being dressed like Bloodsailors, seemed out of place and were constantly looking out for someone or something. at first Volo tried a diplomatic approach with them, but it didn't work. then Kaftan decided to have a go at it. by challenging the half-orc to a beer drinking duel (god, this is so old, does every fantasy game have to have one of these?).

11jalekdrinkingcontest.png

Kaftan lost of course (only 14 constitution, even a potion of Endurance couldn't have helped him). but he did gain the necessary amount of respect with the half-orc to be let to speak with his friend Christov. as you can see, they're spies for an undisclosed third party. Christov told Volo a little something about the sudden disappearance of Vengaul. turned out the auction had been canceled. but if we want to know more we have to go down to the tavern's basement.

the staircase leading to basement was guarded by the tavern's chef, so Volo easily swayed him into letting the party through. after clearing the small area of bloodsailor guards they found an elven woman locked up in the cellar.

neif.png

it was Vengaul's girlfriend Dara'nei. as a means of thanking our heroes for her rescue she provided some info on Callik. Callik was a simple brute, unlike Vengaul. he saw an opportunity to usurp power in the gang and took it. Vengaul went into hiding. it also appears Lord Nasher and Vengaul have a history. this is an interesting turn of events. she confirmed that Vengaul was holding the ****atrice (one of the Waterdhavians) as a part of some scheme to humiliate Nasher. Vengaul wanted Nasher to acknowledge Vengaul's importance in Neverwinter. well, his underlings never delivered the message to Nasher, plotting to kill their leader instead. what a mess.

they also found Callik's orders on guards' bodies.

slettercut.png

sletterbcut.png

also, Dara'nei, hoping Volo and Kaftan would save her beloved, gave them the key to a secret door in the Silver Sails building. that's where they were headed next. and through there - to the Aqueducts.

I forgot to take pics of the Silver Sails, it's just a bunch of Dire Spiders and a swarm of Fire Beetles. nothing special. the last door leads straight to Charon.

17sewers.png

30907429.png

ha! Charon is alright. and so they now knew that Vengaul had passed there and Callik was close behind. Volo showed the map to Charon, and his boat took them straight to the old storage area.

19deepsewers.png

while you're following this tunnel along, two voices can be hear. apparent;y two men arguing.

- Cur! Bounder! You're not half the man your father was!

- I won't let you squander this opportunity! That thing's worth a fortune!

- Life is measured by more than wealth, my boy. A well schemed plot keeps your name in the history books!

- What's the big problem? You were going to auction the thing yourself!

- That was showmanship. Make them think the prize is lost and they respect you all the more when they get it.

and there they were, standing on different sides of the fence, tossing insults at each other.

20callikvengaul.png

Callik was very nervous and attacked the party as soon as he saw them. He was very squishy. then it was Vengaul's turn.

58598590.png

well, even if Vengaul would've given the bird back to Nasher, we simply couldn't let him live. the bastard proved too slick for us and managed to escape. his two guards had to suffice. Volo then took the ****atrice feather out of the crate, and they were finally done with the Docks. not quite done with the city of Neverwinter, though.

Walsingham said:

I'm going to keep this last leg short. first, they visited Ophala and took their bounty.

22ophala.png

400 GP, hey, not too shabby. but of course 375 XP is a lot more welcome. thanks, Ophala. you're a bitch, but we forgive you. next stop - Blacklake.

23formosa.png

Formosa was the one that hired Volo and Kaftan to assassinate Meldanen. she also had been instigating food riots and wanted the key to Meldanen's store house. we provided both. but then we had to kill her. Volo couldn't let such a dangerous person walk the streets of Neverwinter.

(actually, I killed her for the evil points to Kaftan's alignment. you see, I want to make him an Assassin, but that requires the character to be evil. and as you remember Kaftan is Chaotic Neutral. well, by the end of this part we will have made him Chaotic Evil :lol: )

we then went into Never's Tomb for the last piece of his heritage. it's *the* toughest battle of the whole chapter unless you play it right.

stombb.png

the swords pack quite a punch and are very durable. it's usually a better idea just to make a run for the sarcophagus and teleport the hell out of there. but we needed that level up and especially Stoneskin that would've come with it. so we took some time, worked out a strategy and killed all four. go team! then we went back to the brothel. there's a shady character there named Gilles. he had offered to buy Never's relics off us instead of taking them to Oleff. we naturally agreed. selling him all three pieces deals a major hit to character's alignment, a total of 21 points towards evil. which suited us just fine :lol: of course Kaftan then had to kill the idiot for trying to be smart, sealing his fate as the ultimate scourge of Sword Coast. they then proceeded to the Palace with the last ingredient.

28aribeth.png

oh? we finally get to see Lord Nasher Alagondar? I think both Volo and Kaftan thought to themselves at the moment how that would be the perfect opportunity to finish Nasher off. but was it worth it?

29nasher.png

crude manner? that's it! prepare to di~ huh?

30desther.png

not now, Fendesther, can't you see we're in the middle of a conversation with his lordship? go on and make that cure already.

31cure.png

it's about time, we were getting tired of this city. we assume we can return to the Underdark now?

32desthertraitor.png

huh, wha? this can't be good...

33atack.png

Desther then grabs the cure and jumps into a portal, Fenthick, for god knows what reason, follows him. and we're left with Desther's fake helmites to deal. they drop like flies, naturally.

34portal.png

guess this isn't over yet. we'll have to go after Desther and take the cure from his cold dead hands. works for us.

Walsingham said:

the outskirts of Helm's Hold, ladies and gentlemen.

sdeep.png

the old guy standing in the distance is Bregan. I'm getting tired of typing (and don't count on me proofreading all of this), so I'll just show you the conversation.

bregan.png

bregan2.png

bregan3.png

ahaha, good times... there was another encounter, though, right in front of Hold's gates. some kind of an apparition.

36visage.png

soooo, Desther took control of the Hold by force, his minions dressed up as priests of Helm, they were the ones who had been spreading the plague all along. and now Desther, feeling as he's being drawn into a corner, tries to build an army of undead. very nice.

there are two ways inside the Hold. one is through the front gates. they lead into the backyard.

361outside.png

doesn't look promising, does it? and after hearing all that stuff about undead. we'd better take the rear entrance. there's a cave not far from Bregan's home that leads into Hold's dungeon.

38jerik.png

the welcoming committee. this guy is actually pretty tough. Jinkies was his name. the corridor ends up in a storage room with the exit into the main floor of Helm's Hold. there's a kid named Johnny here. he is the shopkeeper for this area.

39johnny.png

he also gave the heroes some insight on what had happened inside the Hold. appears as though Desther is now on his own. he has been cut off by his superiors. and in a desperate attempt to prove himself he now prepares and attack on Neverwinter. what an idiot. also, there's a helmite somewhere in here, might as well look for him.

the prison is full of undead, just like johnny said. there was even a Zombie Lord. but that's hardly a challenge anymore. in one of the cells Kaftan found this:

40yari.png

he kept screaming something about the Old Ones, Kaftan couldn't hit the half-orc with arrows, and the bastard got away. Volo had one of his feelings again, somehow it felt like they would be seeing this Yari the knife again, and very soon. should've left him in his cell to rot. well, the other cell contained the helmite Dumal.

41dumal.png

seeing as Dumal was the only one left of the whole keep, Kaftan decided to end his misery and killed the poor guy (we needed all the XP we could get, I could use Stoneskin for the upcoming battle with Desther). and it was time to end it.

Walsingham said:

almost done.

the main floor isn't a very big dungeon. it's mostly populated by Fake Halmites and packs of undead.

42helmitefake.png

easy prey. there are a few points of interest on this level, though. first, there's these:

44entrance.png

there is a bug here (at least there was for me) they won't attack you if you enter via the main entrance. they just keep hovering there, but only 'til you try to open the door leading to the rest of the keep. they activate and attack the character that touched the doorknob. but the other character still will be considered friendly. at first I couldn't understand why my fireballs weren't doing any damage to these constructs. but then I figured it out and the drow cause prevailed once again.

45deadarmors.png

(I have no idea what the pedestal is used for). but the coolest part is the summoning circle in the back. where our heroes got to meet this guy:

43chaochiron.png

he looks like a devil and he's got a kick-ass name. but helping him doesn't give you as much as reinstating the Hold Guardian would. so after following his instructions and getting the Grimoire, needed to free him (it?) *and* the Tome of Helm, required to restore Helm's power, we decided to banish the sucker.

431chaohinonbanished.png

Volo then summoned the original Guardian.

432helmguardian.png

the celestial avatar could sense Volo's and Kaftan's real personae hidden behind the illusions, still he presented the group with a gift - a ring of elemental resistance (which will prove useful much later on). they also hit level 8 at that point. Kaftan finished his fighter, from that point forward it would be rogue/assassin all the way. and Volo got Stoneskin, good timing, too, because they were about to face Desther.

and look who they found on their way up:

46fenthickcrying.png

awww, what happened, Fenthick? why are you crying?

461fenthickcut.png

that's it, seems Fenthick has finally snapped. maybe we should just finish him right here, before Lady Aribeth gets a chance to see him... but that'll have to wait until after we've removed Desther from this plane of existence.

47fight.png

Desther is a cleric, but since he's completely naked and barehanded, he doesn't pose any kind of threat if you don't let him cast his spells (which aren't particularly dangerous anyway). the surrounding ghouls are a much bigger problem, but a couple of Fireballs make short work of them *and* the ceremonial creatures. after they had gone down, dealing with Desther is easy as pie.

48defeat.png

gah! more questions :lol: I have one: will this ever end?

as you know, both Desther and Fenthick were executed. Aribeth almost lost her marbles while Fenthick was being torched. as soon as that was done, Nasher and Aribeth began planning an investigation of the Cult of The Old Ones or the Cult of the Eye. the new-born heroes of Neverwinter, Kaftan and Volo, were asked to take up this difficult task. considering the size of the reward and the need to keep their own investigation going, they reluctantly agreed and were soon transferred to Port Llast in the North.

and that's it for chapter 1. phew.

Walsingham said:

Sweet! Desther is a solid villain who was held back due to the 'obviiousness' of his evil intentions. He was definitely hateable - too hateabul - which is why he was the obvious cuplrit.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Now I remember why the whole Desther-Fenthick-Aribeth thing was so annoying. Potentially Fenthick's fatal indecisiveness could have been an interesting plot point, a good story to tell about refusing to believe his faith was mistaken, etc., but it doesn't get developed, we get one cheesy conversation then an even more cheesy and insubstantial crying from Aribeth.

I also remember the level design being OKish in Ch1 before it just descends into Four Macguffins Per Chapter. Keep it up!

I think they did a good job with Aribeth in subsequent chapters. making her a villain and all that. and I like the whole Old Ones plot. but yeah, after chapter one the game just falls apart thanks to terrible game design

Walsingham said:

she does? :lol: that's odd, I thought she had a custom class designed for her

Walsingham said:

All I know is that she casts spells that a fallen Paladin should never be able to cast. Blade barrier, Harm, etc.

To add insult to injury, in HotU she then loses all those spells and returns to being a crappy paladin.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

NWN was D&D 3rd ed.? if so than she did get a custom class, because Clerics couldn't use bladed weapons in 3rd edition

Walsingham said:

"because Clerics couldn't use bladed weapons in 3rd edition"

Umm... yes, they could. They could even in 2E. Don't pay attention to the poor version of D&D seen in the IE games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

oh? that's odd, I had a copy of the 3rd edition rule-book, I remember it saying only blunt weapons for clerics :woot: it could've been a bad version though

Walsingham said:

time for a new update. our party welcomes you to Port Llast.

ch2inn.png

as you can see, all our friends are present. let's go say "hi" to Lady Aribeth.

nwntalkaribethch21.png

ho-kay, what have you got to say to us, Aarin Gend?

ch2aarin.png

ch2aarincut.png

so there we have it, three possible ways to go, just like in russian folk tales: go left - lose your horse, go right - lose your head, go straight - find your doom. not much of a choice if you ask me. let's hope Volo and Kaftan are powerful enough to overcome any difficulties and dangers.

there were still people to talk to in the barracks, so Volo enabled his diplomacy mode and began gathering information, speaking to other mercenaries they'd known from Neverwinter. In the meantime Kaftan was trying to harass the locals.

ch2kendrack.png

this guy offered the party a job, they'd have to find a bunch of criminals, hiding in different parts of the land. bounty hunting! Kaftan loved it, he was a renown bounty hunter and could pass by the offer. now it was time to head outside and start looking. of course our famous heroes couldn't take two steps without being asked for help by desperate villagers.

ssond.png

Volo was beginning to appreciate the whole "hero" business, so he promised to do all he could to help. and finding a farmer's mother didn't sound like a very hard task, since they would be looking under every rock and in every corner of this area for traces of cult activity anyway.

another place of interest - the local inn. as soon as they stepped inside, Kaftan was approached by a strange looking character. he introduced himself as Solomon.

nwmain2011012411162932.png

he disappeared immediately after handing Kaftan a ring of some sort. Kaftan wanted to get rid of it right there, but Volo stopped him. something wasn't right and Volo wanted to see how it would develop.

anyway, Kaftan saw a familiar face among the patrons and hurried to chat with the person.

ch2elaith.png

Elaith had had dealings with the Shadow Thieves of Amn before, and regardless of what he was saying now Kaftan knew he was the guy to speak to if he ever needed supplies. after putting some pressure on Elaith Kaftan was allowed access to his limited stock. one thing captured Kaftan's attention instantly, the Shadow Thieves' armor. the price was 25000 gold, luckily our party could afford it.

Elaith also offered Kaftan a job after recognizing a fellow thief in him. our heroes had to find some gems stolen from Elaith. again, there was no point in turning it down.

there's another peculiar character in the inn. he's the best merchant in Port Llast but if we act too hastily we might lose his services.

ch2alhelor.png

Alhelor told the tale of the Black Wolf to Volo and Kaftan. they wanted to hear more, but he was somewhat reluctant to talk about it in greater detail, redirecting the heroes to his buddy Ander.

ch2ander.png

so yeah, Ander was the only survivor after the encounter with this Black Wolf. seemed as though our heroes found themselves yet another bounty. good times! time to speak to Neurik and inquire about the details.

Walsingham said:

Neurik they found in the local temple. he told them about the encounter and how all of the hunters had gone missing and were surely werewolves now. he gave our heroes a handful of silver charms and told them there was a house in Port Llast they'd better start their investigation with. the house was owned by the parents of one of the missing boys.

finding the house was easy, getting the old folks to talk, not so. Kaftan had to force his way upstairs where he found this in one of the rooms:

nwmain2011012411364568.png

Stoneskin proved useful once again. young werewolf went down very fast, giving up after Kaftan pummeled him into submission. (seriously, Stoneskin is a win button, plain and simple, coupled with Bull's Strength and Volo is out of a job, Daelan and Kaftan make short work of anything the group encounters).

nwmain2011012411375621.png

so, we should seek out Sir Karathis if we're ever to find the Black Wolf. no problemo, kid. here's a sliver charm to get you back to normal, now run along.

one last place to visit in Port Llast is Wanev's Cottage. it may hold the key to getting inside his tower. but first let's have a talk with another merchant in the area. it's our old friend Eltoora. for some reason she didn't recognize Volo as the member of her guild and wouldn't provide any services without getting a magical reagent first, well screw you, Eltoora, you don't have anything special anyway. She did give Volo a new quest. it's the biggest fetch quest in the game I believe, and we won't be able to complete it until much later in the chapter. still, it's a good idea to have it marked in the journal.

the last NPC we can talk to is Ballard.

nwmain2011012411504706.png

he's a druid and will ask a favor of us. the task is to find out why the animals in the forest have become aggressive and attack everyone, even the druids. this is my favorite quest of this entire chapter so I'll save it for later.

Kaftan had two interesting encounters on the way to Wanev's place. one was Kendrak's daughter.

nwmain2011012411440284.png

clearly insane. Kaftan had a tough time getting rid of her, but as soon as she left, another nitwit presented himself.

nwmain2011012411493782.png

so Volo was right, the ring Solomon had given them was a way for the cult to keep track of our heroes' progress. Volo once again proposed to keep the ring and see what happened. good call, Volo.

once inside Wanev's house the heroes made their way down to the basement. there they encountered lots of guardian skeletons and goblins. there was also a Bugbear Hero-Shaman duo and a Flesh Golem. but as usual Kaftan and Daelan just plowed through Wanev's minions. all they found down there was some ingredients and his journal.

nwmaincut1.png

which hinted at a secret place somewhere inside the house. in the kitchen Volo found Wanev's Cookbook:

nwmaincut2.png

the two texts suggested that making the stew would open up a new passage. so Volo put the needed ingredients into the brazier...

nwmain2011012412073704.png

and voila!

nwmain2011012412093420.png

Kaftan found a ward stone and yet another journal.

nwmaincut3.png

this Wanev guy sure looks like a retard judging by these notes he keeps leaving behind. some wizard he is. or maybe it's just a well-designed trap? tune in next time to find out. also, we'll be traveling to Luskan and raiding endless goblin and bugbear caves. the fun parts are yet to come.

Walsingham said:

this Wanev guy sure looks like a retard judging by these notes he keeps leaving behind. some wizard he is. or maybe it's just a well-designed trap? tune in next time to find out. also, we'll be traveling to Luskan and raiding endless goblin and bugbear caves. the fun parts are yet to come.

Wasn't Wanev one of the inmates in Spellhold in BG2 (the former director), with some strange notes?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ha, really? interesting stuff

Walsingham said:

• 4 weeks later...

hello again. finally, an update! that has been long overdue. last time we've left our heroes they were about to explore the series of caves populated by goblinoids, north of Port Llast. and that's where they went, due North.

nwmain2011021906404375.png

they met Gerrol, a local farmer. he was devastated by his wife's disappearance and was begging for Kaftan's help. apparently some ogre named Dergiab had been abducting folks from the nearby farms for some time. of course it was up to Volo and Kaftan to stop him.

but not before repelling an attack by somebody who'd been trying to stop them. looks like it's our old friend.

nwmain2011021906500887.png

Solomon pops along with his two guards and attacks the party. he's not tough in any way thankfully. on his body Volo found an interesting letter.

nwnlettertosolomon.png

signed by some mysterious Maugrim. ugh, do we know him? I don't think so. surprisingly, there are cultists all over this area including Port Llast. the heroes had to be on their guard if they wanted to reach their goal. consulting Lady Aribeth seemed like a good idea, too. so they did.

nwmain2011021907583681.png

well, of course. we tell her where the bad guys conspiring against us are and she suggests to walk straight into their trap. typical. oh well, whatever you say, m'lady.

back North Kaftan spotted an entrance leading into the old mine, the sign at the mouth of the cave said that the mine was long abandoned, but Volo spotted fresh tracks leading inside. near the entrance there was a gate, locked, with a keyhole and no other way of opening it (Daelan tried smashing it, to no avail).

nwmain2011021907013128.png

unfortunately they didn't have any key that would open the gate. we'll keep this place in mind for later. now it was time to examine the goblin caves. there were 3 entrances, two of them leading to the first level, and one going deeper - straight to level two. Volo suggested starting from the top.

after getting rid of the tribe of goblins along with their chieftain, Kaftan found a bugbear prisoner.

nwmain2011021907190845.png

aha, so bugbears are at war with orcs and goblins. good to know. you're free to go, buddy, just don't try anything funny. (of course as soon as the miserable creature turned his back to the party, Kaftan backstabbed him, for the experience - pun intended).

nwmain2011021907345985.png

next stop, orc temple. apart from the usual orc heroes and shamans the temple contained two minotaurs. Linu decided she could take on both of them, and that's how we lost our only cleric for the rest of the chapter. again.

there's a strange bug with her. whenever I pick her with Kaftan she stops behaving like his henchman, she does still follow him around but never casts anything on him, never rests and if she falls, there's no way of bringing her back. she just doesn't respawn at town's temple. so when she charged the minotaurs I knew she was a goner. oh well, what are you going to do, right? we're not gonna miss her.

nwmain2011021907401439.png

that's the orc chieftain, the toughest bastard on this level. he has a very nasty knockback attack, to which Kaftan is very vulnerable as you can see. took a couple of

Magic Missiles to bring the monster down. behind him Kaftan found the orc treasury.

nwmain2011021907415801.png

there's an ogre behind this door, but it's not the one we're after so I didn't take a picture of him. and that's it for level one of these dreadful caves.

Walsingham said:

the new area greeted the heroes with another bugbear prisoner (keep in mind these are the bugbear caves now, someone in here is very confused).

nwmain2011022112144651.png

this "master" sounded like Dergiab, our target. apparently he's on the next level of this dungeon. we'll be getting to him very soon.

but first let's visit the local zoo.

nwmain2011022112194470.png

the bugbear beastmaster opened all the cages as soon as he spotted our party, releasing two wolves and two wild boars. the pack leader proved to be a very tough foe, almost got Kaftan, thank god for Stoneskin. (I like it how Kaftan and Daelan do all the fighting while Volo stands in the back lighting the scene with his torch. reminds me of a joke... no, I shouldn't)

there was also the bugbear chieftain, but for some reason he stayed invisible for the whole duration of the battle, so I couldn't target him and snatching a pic had no practical reason. believe me he's very tough, has wicked speed and rolls criticals pretty often, he was able to kick Daelan's butt because Volo forgot to cast Stoneskin on the poor half-orc.

ok, with that taken care of, time to enter the ogre mage's lair to confront this Dergiab character.

nwmain2011022112274570.png

what do you know, another prisoner, how very convenient. it's almost as if someone was leaving them near the entrance to provide all the necessary info to anyone who'd decide to visit the caves and cut their way through all the guards... oh, sorry, Nuglat, you were saying?..

nwmain2011022112282015.png

right, so Dergiab had been hired by the Cult to raid these lands. there was also some guy named Ganon. a chance to swat them both, Volo and Kaftan liked the idea of that.

oh, take a look at this, brilliant strategy flawlessly applied by our heroes.

nwmain2011022112295073.png

Kaftan engages the enemy troops on the bridge, bottle-necking them while Volo bombards the whole lot with Fireballs. scratch 10 grunts.

nwmain2011022112361993.png

the next room contained our targets. Kaftan tried to sneak in and scout the area, but Ganon surprisingly was able to spot Kaftan from all the way back and attacked him. for some reason the fool didn't think it necessary to bring anyone along so Kaftan had the pleasure of backstabbing the hell out of him while Daelan kept Ganon busy dodging his huge double-axe. nice teamwork!

two Fireballs later Dergiab was dead. and we had gotten his head

sheadw.png

and Ganon's journal as a bonus.

sjournal.png

heh, the poor guy fell victim to his mania, how ironic. we're outta here.

nwmain2011022112430037.png

Gerrol was easily intimidated by Kaftan into giving the party all his money. he did get his wife back, not to mention an awesome severed head to decorate his house with. fair trade in my book.

Walsingham said:

There is absolutely no reason your images should be this huge. Small resolutions for LPs work much better.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"