4th Super bowl ring?

TheHarlequin

Got to say the Pats are simply dominating. If we can get past the mangled packers next week I think barring any team melt down the rest of the schedule is a no brainer to the play offs. I certainly think if we keep playing at this caliber the SB is certainly in our future. Be interesting over next few weeks who else get a playoff spot and who we may end up playing again.

Also a personal thank you to the browns. After you slapped us around Brady and the team woke the hell up and been playing as if their life depended on it. All cylinders are cooking and it's been non-stop since that game so thank you! :lol:

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

A bit of off-topic-ness pruned. I thought there was a related thread already, but it seems past it's best by date.

Edit: A bit old indeed

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, Kelverin had been the guy who kept the annual NFL thread bumped, but he hasn't been around this year.

Anyhow, the Pats are strong contenders. Their defense might end up holding them back (keeping the Jets and Bears in the single digits isn't that much of an achievement), but that offense is machine-like in its efficiency.

I'll be spending this evening in the sports bar up the road, watching my Giants in their rescheduled game "at" the Vikings. The losses suffered by the Bears and Packers were good news for NYG's playoff chances-- too bad the Redskins and Cowboys couldn't pull through on their almost-upsets of Tampa and Philly. (Although the ending of that TB-WAS game was an all-time-sports-blooper classic.)

I hope Kelverin is ok. I know he was having a bad time with health issues. As for the ending of the Bucs-Skins game, you guys probably heard me shouting for joy all the way up north. To paraphrase Bucs tackle Kevin Rudd, winning ugly is still winning. I doubt playoffs are in the picture for the pewter pirates but it has been a great team to watch this season. I take back all the things I ranted about Coach Morris.

The Pats are just that kind of team. They are like the Packers from the 60s, the Stellers of the 70s, 49ers of the 80s and Cowboys of the 90s. As for the AFC, the only team that matches up well against them is the Jaguars but they are a one trick pony, strong ground game, mediocre everywhere else. But what they can do is control the clock which is the only way the Pats can lose. I don't think anyone will outplay them.

As for the NFC, it looks like the Falcons have the inside track. Imagine a Pats Falcons superbowl. What to you think the over on THAT one would be?

BTW did you guys see Sal Alosi, a Jets coach trip a dolphins player while running in kick coverage? What an @$$hole.

And how about the video of the Metrodome roof collapsing. Wild stuff.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I could see Baltimore taking the Pats out. SD played them close, too.

The Falcons have a couple games' advantage on the rest of the NFC, so they're likely to get a first-round playoff bye. But I agree with Hurl that there isn't much separating the NFC contenders. The Falcons aren't measurably better than Philly (who beat them pretty bad), the Saints (who took them to OT in the first meeting, and would've won if their kicker hadn't honked a 29-yard FG), or the Giants.

BTW did you guys see Sal Alosi, a Jets coach trip a dolphins player while running in kick coverage? What an @$$hole.

What are the Vegas odds he will still have a job by within the next 48 hrs? I'd say not to good in his favor. There is no way they can keep him on and save face/have ANY credibility to whine when something odd, bad call, etc happens to them next.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'll be spending this evening in the sports bar up the road, watching my Giants in their rescheduled game "at" the Vikings. The losses suffered by the Bears and Packers were good news for NYG's playoff chances-- too bad the Redskins and Cowboys couldn't pull through on their almost-upsets of Tampa and Philly. (Although the ending of that TB-WAS game was an all-time-sports-blooper classic.)

While I don't wish physical ill on anyone, the packers QB with more head trauma prob means sitting out next weeks game. If their back up plays like he did this week the Pats will walk all over him without much effort. Then the next 2 games shouldn't be much more difficult to the play offis. Miami and Bills.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Another entertaining thing about the Bucs-Skins game: That final touchdown probably should never have happenened. So the botched PAT was a nice touch of karma.

As for Tampa, generally, I know the schedule (DET, SEA, @NO) favors them down the stretch, relative to the other NFC contenders. But I just don't think they're going to be healthy enough to make a push. In the last 3 games, they've lost 6 starters for the remainder of the season-- G Davin Joseph and S Cody Grimm against BAL, CB Aqib Talib and C Jeff Faine against ATL, and DT Gerald McCoy and LB Quincy Black yesterday against Washington. It's going to take at least 10 wins to get a wildcard spot in the NFC, and with that many guys out, I think it's a stretch to see them winning 2 of their last 3 games, even against weak opposition.

The Bucs have put together an unexpectedly promising season, though. Freeman looks like a solid starting QB-- with Blount, Williams, and Benn, it looks like they have the foundations of a nice offense. They need some more on the OL and at scattered spots all over the defense, but they're a team on the rise.

Edited by Enoch

Another entertaining thing about the Bucs-Skins game: That final touchdown probably should never have happenened. So the botched PAT was a nice touch of karma.

As for Tampa, generally, I know the schedule (DET, SEA, @NO) favors them down the stretch, relative to the other NFC contenders. But I just don't think they're going to be healthy enough to make a push. In the last 3 games, they've lost 6 starters for the remainder of the season-- G Davin Joseph and S Cody Grimm against BAL, CB Aqib Talib and C Jeff Faine against ATL, and DT Gerald McCoy and LB Quincy Black yesterday against Washington. It's going to take at least 10 wins to get a wildcard spot in the NFC, and with that many guys out, I think it's a stretch to see them winning 2 of their last 3 games, even against weak opposition.

The Bucs have put together an unexpectedly promising season, though. Freeman looks like a solid starting QB-- with Blount, Williams, and Benn, it looks like they have the foundations of a nice offense. They need some more on the OL and at scattered spots all over the defense, but they're a team on the rise.

I think they have a better than fair shot of winning over Detroit & Seattle, Detroit has little to play for and the Seahawks can't get out of their own way. Both games at home is a big plus. Winning at NO will be a stretch unless the Saints playoff seeding is already decided and they have reason to rest their starters. Looking at how the Wildcards are shaping up I'd say there is a fair shot of that happening.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And Farve's streak comes to a abrupt end. He should have threw in the towel last year and went off on a high note (been saying that since week 1 as I knew he wasn't going to have a repeat performance, not said out of hind sight) but now hes limping out on a whimper.. and if he comes back one more year he will simply be a laughing stock. Sad this guys ego is the size of the moon. He should have had some class like marino, teddy and other football pros that went off on a high note.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Huge Brady fan. Don't follow NFL too closely, but they're always the team I keep tabs on. Was disappointed he didn't win a couple years back to complete the perfect season, but hopefully they can make amends this season.

I'm enough of a fan of sports that I like to see the elite athletes (that I like :)) do well in all sports haha.

I hope Kelverin is ok. I know he was having a bad time with health issues.

While Im not 100% sure, I believe Kelverin lost his battle with oral cancer and passed away earlier this year. For the last 6-7 years he was part of our fantasy football league and when he didnt report in this year a few of us went looking for him. His real name shows up on an obituary in his home town, his email has been disconnected and calling his telephone results in a different person now answering. Maybe he just took the long walk into the internet wasteland but Im fairly certain hes gone.

While Im not 100% sure, I believe Kelverin lost his battle with oral cancer and passed away earlier this year. For the last 6-7 years he was part of our fantasy football league and when he didnt report in this year a few of us went looking for him. His real name shows up on an obituary in his home town, his email has been disconnected and calling his telephone results in a different person now answering. Maybe he just took the long walk into the internet wasteland but Im fairly certain hes gone.

That is really sad to hear. I had thought as much, based on the threads in that fantasy football league. He will be missed.

Seems the fruitnut Jets coach tripper is keeping his job just getting fined & suspended for the rest of the year w/o pay. I think thats a slap on the wrist. He should have been fired to send a clear message. The message they are sending is pretty feeble. I hope to the gods the jets NEVER whine about anything again after this. As they will be slapped in the face and beat over the head with this. I already see sports blogs with comments calling them 'cheaters' from the comments. As a Pats fan who enduring making a molehill into a mountain that was 'spygate' this is FAR worse and the jets are in for some of the same medicine we enduring of you being beat over the head about it even if the context makes 0 sense.

Edited by Fionavar

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

"He should have threw in the towel last year and went off on a high note (been saying that since week 1 as I knew he wasn't going to have a repeat performance, not said out of hind sight) but now hes limping out on a whimper.. and if he comes back one more year he will simply be a laughing stock. Sad this guys ego is the size of the moon. He should have had some class like marino, teddy and other football pros that went off on a high note."

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

He has the right to play the game as long a she wnats. He had a bad season. Big deal. It should be pointed out that many young QBS have had bad seasons this year. Does that mean they should give up, and retire too? That's a ridiculous notion. Favre had his best season EVER last season at 40, and he is still very capable of playing at a high levekl. Anyone who tries to suggest that he isn't one of the top 30 QBs in the league when healthy are full of crap. If punks like you had their way, Favre would have retired a decade ago, and we would have missed out some of the most entertaining games/player ever.

Favre (sexting stuff aside) is classy when it comes to football. Wanting to play the game you love so much and not allowing yourself to eb betrayed and thrown in the trash is NOT classless. Turning one's back on a guy for the horrible crime of WANTING TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND DO A JOB HE'S BEEN DOING FOR TWENTY YEARS is classless.

And, no, you didn't know he wouldn't have a repeat performance. You probably 'predicted' that he would have a horrible season lst season as well. L0L

It's easy to be eventually right when you predict something every year.

Afterall, some have claimed that Indy would miss the playoffs for the past 5 seasons, and now this season those people might actually be 'right'.

As for OT, Pats are a great teasm and have a shot at the SB but they aren't my favorites to win. Brady definitely deserves considertaion for MVP along with Vick.

On the subject of Vick where are all the naysaying punks who claimed Vick was finished as both a human being, fan favorite, and awesome player after he was kicked out fo the league and thrown in prison? Perghaps, next time, don't pretend to know what you are talking about and actually listen to me since I *know* my stuiff.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I had no problem with Favre coming back this year. He didn't go back and forth about it, he made his decision in a timely manner. He also has a super impressive number of consecutive starts.

That being said, I wonder if his body can handle another season. He's always kind of rotated one good year/one bad year, but physically I think it will be tough to come back next year.

I had no problem with Favre coming back this year. He didn't go back and forth about it, he made his decision in a timely manner. He also has a super impressive number of consecutive starts.

That being said, I wonder if his body can handle another season. He's always kind of rotated one good year/one bad year, but physically I think it will be tough to come back next year.

He makes a big dramafest about it.. im retired.. im coming back.. im retired.. im coming back.. rinse and repeat.. damn just get it over with. He has 0 left to prove IMO. Hes a good QB, HoF without a doubt and I don't dislike his skill or years hes put in. what I can't stand is his ego and the way he seems to wallow in drama the way a pig enjoys mud. The way he LOVES telling the press how hurt he is and how hes sucking it up to play (inset poorly veiled attempt to pat himself on the back with the camera on) or if hes going to retire or not. Hes a drama queen and that's sadly all hes going to be remembered for. Not his last year performance, his 1 SB ring or his stats. in 10 yrs when ppl talk about him FIRST thing that will come to mind will be his on again, off again retirement last few yrs of his career THEN perhaps his skill. Sad too as if he didnt have the ego he has he could have went off on a high note. Certainly doubtful hes going to be able to do that now.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

That is really sad to hear. I had thought as much, based on the threads in that fantasy football league. He will be missed.

I wish I could find more information about this somewhere. I know he had a 7-year old boy, and it would be nice if there was something we could do for him. How frustrating. I wish we had said something when he was going through his health issues.

That's very sad.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"That being said, I wonder if his body can handle another season."

Sadly, he's probably done. I wish he would come back to prove the usual doubters wrong; but I don't think he's willing to go through it all again. Skill wise, favre is still one of the top 20 QBs in the league (stats this season be damned) and since this is a 32 team league, he's good enough to be a starter.

Also, contrary to mythical beliefs, in the end, Favre will be remembered as the damn good QB he is who was human.

AS for him having ane go.. big deal.. you need an ego to be a QB. Every QB has an ego. If youn are gonna play a position of QB where you will either get heavily praised or criticized you need a huge ego to take the abuse you are gonna get.

Favre is still going on a high note despite his struggles this season. He goes away with more class in his pinky fingers than his detratcors have combined in their entire bodies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.