FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

I also didn't have a slide for the BoS in the end.

Strangely enough, though, I did receive a slide for a group called "the Misfits" that I had never even encountered or heard of.

Seems to me the BoS got the shaft in the end. Which is odd.. why put all the effort into that faction in the game if you are going to totally ignore them in the end? Little gangs most people over look get a slide at the end but nothing for the BoS? That makes Harl cry... :~(

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'm hoping to get one this time. After so many hours of playing, I finally managed to figure out what the deal was with Boone. I should have just gone and looked it up. What a pain. I'm thinking that BoS might fare better this run. Last time,

I was pretty much forced to destroy them. I've done NCR and House, now I'm going to go the Yes Man route and see if I can fashion the New Vegas I want to see.

I've gotten BoS updates, but never one that seemed like what I would consider a good ending. Of course, I also think the entire Vegas chapter of the BoS is incompetent.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So I dumped a whole bunch of food items in a huge pile on the floor of the 38. Craig and Arcade kept walking by every few minutes to scoop something off of the pile. The rate and amount of food your companions can eat while at the 38 is astronomical. I laughed for as long as the food lasted....which wasn't very long. :o

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So... I just got the game (yay for 30bucks at gamestops online store) and gotta ask... Anyone know how I can make my own face for the pc? Here's what the Obsidian guys did:

Oliver.jpg

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I finished the game as my own master this time. Interesting in that this is the first time I've gotten all of the companions. I think that was all of the companions.

My favorite line is still Cass' from the previous run where she says something like, "We were going full speed ahead, but we were facing backward the whole time." Talk about the story of my life.

Great job on this. I've spent 200 hundred hours on this game since I purchased it. Even if you assume I had to pause and step away for even a third of the time (which would be quite a liberal calculation) then I've spent 134 hours actually playing. I have barely done anything else in my free time even up to and including something I hardly ever do, which is to take meals at my computer.

Truly an awesome game. Even now, I'm planning on more things I'll do. I plan on finishing the story siding with the Legion at least once and I've never put paid to those bastards who stole the dynamite. Cooke I guess he is. Even after a couple hundred hours, there're still quests I haven't done.

Good luck on getting your face exactly right in the game, Calax.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So... I just got the game (yay for 30bucks at gamestops online store) and gotta ask... Anyone know how I can make my own face for the pc? Here's what the Obsidian guys did:

Oliver.jpg

There's a console command:

player.placeleveledactoratme 001349b6

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

All these hours spent...quite a few cateyes used...a lot of "damn this game is pitch black" comments as I ran through some room...and then recently I learned that a pipboy flashlight existed. Argh.

I kept seeing those in-game messages about the pipboy light 'giving you away' and I was always thinking "what light?" I'd go into pipboy and see nothing, no button to press etc.

My steam copy did not come with any manual at all. *slapface*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

PDF is searchable. If it's not scanned into the format.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What link? I see no link. When I bought the game I saw 'buy game' and 'buy official guide'. I skipped the later. There's no manual-like readme in the game folder and the start menu has nothing.

....I suppose this is a figure out where-in-the-steam-menus the link is thing. eg, not intuitive to old farts like me. Should have a readme that mentions the link. lol

PDF is searchable. If it's not scanned into the format.

You don't think a simple php or html format would have worked a bajillion times better ?

You do know that PHP is scripting, right? And HTML is pretty much only good for viewing webpages, not actual documents. I won't even guess what it would take to convert the source material into HTML. And then set up appropriate links for all of the images instead of just putting it all into one file.

No, they wouldn't work better.

Edited by Tale

That would make sense if the manual was made for HTML. But the manuals are made for printing. The PDF manuals are copies of the source file they printed and tossed in the packaging.

It's right inane to create a new manual off a new template just to shoehorn it into HTML.

I made my share of crappy geocities sites back in the day. And I used notepad, dag nabbit. Unlike you lazy kids these days.

Edited by Tale

The PC manual is the same as the console manuals, with some keys swapped around.

I think it's quite the legitimate complaint to say that the damned guide doesn't load worth a crap. It is searchable, but that's only if it loads up in the first place. Like Lady Crimson was saying, I only figured out how to holster my weapons by searching the internet. Even then, it was hardly ever even a minor issue except for one particular point that jumps out at me. So, I have to figure out how to holster my weapon and I have to pray the guide actually loads. When it does, I don't recall it being very clear. I also recall that I had the same problem in Fallout 3. One or two instances where holstering my weapon was necessary, only in Fallout 3 I think it was required to get into one of the cities or something.

Now, if a significant number of sales come from downloaded purchases, it's not too much to ask that the publisher find a better way to accomodate folks. ...And, yeah, the majority of folks have hard copies, but a significant minority does not. Frankly, I would think Steam and the publisher would want to make it easier to look up this sort of info.

After all, when we say that we had fun discovering new things after hours and hours of play, we don't mean we discovered how to sling our damned rifle over our shoulder.

Obsidian Plays

Actually, that's a good point. For folks who are curious, you hold TAB to turn your pip boy light on or off. I never really had issues with that. Like Tale says, you press R to reload and hold it down to holster your weapon. I'm trying to think, but I only recall one quest where I had to holster my weapon. On the other hand, if you're carrying a rifle or heavy weapon, you run a lot faster if you holster, which is useful for long hikes.

Obsidian Plays