FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

Oh no...he just pretends to dislike the party hats. He secretly loves it. I can see it deep within his icy stare. :)

....at least this has enabled me to test that yes, if you copy the .exe and .esm files, you can revert back to an older version of the game and Steam's auto-patching be damned. Course if you go back online it'll try to patch it again, but then you can just repeat the process. Too bad I don't have a copy of the very first .exe/.esm anymore...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Dear Obsidian: Is there some reason why Boone, and so far, only Boone, no longer looks at you when you get close? For that matter, he doesn't look at anyone anymore, not npc's or other companions. If the other companions also had this new behaviour, I'd think that there was some reason for it. But Arcade and Raul both continue to gaze at any npc/player that's in close up range.

No, it's not important to gameplay, but Boone now feels like a statue. This is not fun for me or other Boone fans I've talked to. Could you change it back, please? Bad enough he now almost never says anything but Eat This now. I'd like the non-statue version of Boone back, please.

P.S. - I do like the quest fixes and I do like the hand-loader weapon bug fix. Don't really care about the weapons stuff since I can do that myself in the Geck....I did learn if I copy back the 1.1 .esm file but left the new 1.2 .exe file, I'd get the handloader fix, but not the quest/weapons/Boone statue changes. So...maybe I'll go back. The quest issues I rarely had a problem with anyway...

Am I the only one who finds this post a little creepy?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ahaha... :)

I'd try to explain but I have the feeling it'd be useless. I can say it's nothing to do with sex or wanting to jump an animated character's bones. It's more like....you have a favorite chr. in a novel and either the sequel or a movie turns that chr. into something you no longer enjoy, and you're annoyed. Similar concept, only you have to put gaming parameters on it.

And yeah, there's Boone fans everywhere. *clanking chains* Can't esssscapes ussss...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What about energy weapons? Are they more powerful now?

Yes. They changed the DT stuff like promised. I can't remember the exact stuff, but the different energy ammo's now have various -DT on them. I haven't tried it yet myself, but from what people are saying, it makes a definite difference...although bullet guns are still 'better.'

Energy ammo also a bit easier to collect. (...Most weapon types do more rated dmg. as well...like 10 or 13 according to some ppl's observations)

Edit: here, I found a post that describes the known changes:

-2DT for standard ammo

-5DT for Overcharge ammo

-10DT for Max Charge ammo

Plasma Defender uses 2 cells instead of 3 per shot

Multiplas Rifle uses 3 cells instead of 6 per shot.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I don't agree that Guns are inherently better. Even running around with "just" the Plasma Pistol feels good. It really tears low level enemies apart. With OC ammo, there's almost nothing in the first few plot-progression areas that has enough armor and HP to survive more than a few shots. EWs do have a higher cost of maintenance than Guns, but I believe they are easily competitive in general combat capability post-patch.

I don't agree that Guns are inherently better. Even running around with "just" the Plasma Pistol feels good. It really tears low level enemies apart. With OC ammo, there's almost nothing in the first few plot-progression areas that has enough armor and HP to survive more than a few shots. EWs do have a higher cost of maintenance than Guns, but I believe they are easily competitive in general combat capability post-patch.

Aye, -5DT in those early areas would be a definitely game changer. Like I said, I haven't played around with them much yet myself. I'm still fiddling with guns. Just trying to relay what I've seen posted by ppl on the Beth forums. I also just noticed one poster say there was a merchant selling 3-4 hundred cells, so that's a bit more than "a little easier' to get the ammo.

Digging into the GECK some more...according to it, all companion's SPECIAL's have been altered. None of them have 10 in anything anymore. What used to be 10's are now 7's, or thereabouts. If they don't ever rise, this means they won't be as effective with some weapons.

Under the leveling calcs, Calc Max used to be 20, is now 40. Level multiplier used to be 1.00, is now .75.

What this means, I have no idea. I've tried looking at their various scripts as well, to see if I could spot any obvious changes they might have made, but it's still all gobblydook to me in there...

Edited by LadyCrimson

Agreed, I'm doing solo right now and the difference is marked. That's good about energy weapons - I've never had a proper Energy char in any Fallout, though.

Well, all I can say is that it hasn't seemed to really affect their ability to play the game for you. I mean, we all know that having a couple points less STR doesn't mean we can't use a gun well enough to kill things...

Now this isn't quite fair because its two humans, but I took Arcade & Boone up Black Mountain when they'd still be lvl5, and they still marched up there killing everything for me. I don't any of the mutants even reached them. I think they might have developed one or two dots of sweat on their foreheads, but probably from being overloaded with stuff I was picking up...

I gave up on the combat ever feeling hard for me (especially after the 1st playthrough) and just enjoy watching the companions kick butt instead. :shifty:

-2DT for standard ammo

-5DT for Overcharge ammo

-10DT for Max Charge ammo

Plasma Defender uses 2 cells instead of 3 per shot

Multiplas Rifle uses 3 cells instead of 6 per shot.

Great, my YCS gun is already an instant win button. But they better not have nerfed it.

Boone is my favorite character too. But in a manly, brotherly way of course. Reminds me of Canderous, and they're both war criminals.

Edit: Btw, on the subject of guns, the Brush gun is awesome, but the iron sight sucks, it blocks way too much peripheral vision. Why can't it have the hunting rifle sight? That's the best, most realistic sight in the game, but it's almost useless because the hunting rifle becomes useless quickly, and you're better off putting a scope on it anyway. Also, all the M16 sights are done wrong, the center should be much shorter than the two sides. I noticed Black Ops got it exactly right.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

--Sniper Rifle crit. chance reduced to x1, DMG lowered to 42, and DPS lowered to mid-70's. Fire rate/speed remains the same, and it still seems quite powerful to me. The Gobi also reduced, to similar.

Are other weapons nerfed as well? Because otherwise the sniper rifle would become completely useless, since a fully repaired hunting rifle has DAM 45.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The sniper rifle also has a much greater default sight range. Altho, I don't know what putting a scope on a hunting rifle does for that, if anything. Not always sure what these darn numbers mean. At any rate, the sniper rifle isn't useless. Some people think it was nerfed a little too much, and you will notice a difference, but I really haven't seen the problem. It's still great for it's purpose - long distance sniping. It just isn't as good for shotgun range use, making less "all purpose wonder." The lower dps makes companions not like it so much, tho. heh :sorcerer:

I'm not sure about the other non-energy weapons...I don't think many were changed.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Edit: Btw, on the subject of guns, the Brush gun is awesome, but the iron sight sucks, it blocks way too much peripheral vision. Why can't it have the hunting rifle sight?

Because it's a top-eject lever-action rifle that frequently has receiver-mounted peep sights installed. The main issue we ran into was getting the view point close enough to the aperture without having the bolt flying into the player's eyeball.

Also, all the M16 sights are done wrong, the center should be much shorter than the two sides. I noticed Black Ops got it exactly right.

The Service Rifle and Assault Carbine aren't "M16s" and even if they were, M16s and AR-15s don't have standardized sights. There are dozens of different options for civilian and military applications. The position of the center post of the front sight relative the outer flanges varies a great deal. The standard M16A2 front sight post is only slightly lower than the flanges. With a peep sight, as long as the center post's top ends immediately at dead center for the zeroed range, it doesn't really matter where the outer flanges are. Well, it matters for the sight picture you're most comfortable with, but you aren't aiming with the flanges.

There's a lot of other stuff on the Service Rifle and Assault Carbine that also differs from "standard" M16s (e.g. right side charging handle), but that shouldn't be too surprising considering a) they're not called M16s and b) the AR-15 one of the most versatile and modular weapon platforms on the planet.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love it when Sawyer shows his knowledge/opinion on such topics. The Legion thread was awesome, too.

I dislike using the sniper rifle outside of sniping, since it degrades very fast.

Hire Raul and tell him to wait somewhere. Problem solved.

The Service Rifle and Assault Carbine aren't "M16s"

I was under the impression the Assault Carbine was an M4 (pretending like I know what I'm talking about)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The position of the center post of the front sight relative the outer flanges varies a great deal. The standard M16A2 front sight post is only slightly lower than the flanges. With a peep sight, as long as the center post's top ends immediately at dead center for the zeroed range, it doesn't really matter where the outer flanges are.

Well, OK, I'll take your word for it but I found it uncomfortable to aim with the center post being almost the same as the flanges and them all being so close together. Btw, I would've really loved to have the Garand in the role of the Brush gun with 30-06 instead of 45-70. Anyways, despite the nit-picking, awesome job on the guns and the entire game.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan