FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

since they keep letting all kinds of strangers (vault dwellers, couriers, villagers) join them, I can't take any of it seriously. I got tired of California's BoS way back in FO1, Obsids should just destroy this faction in a spectacular manner and leave it to others to keep making silly spin-offs.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

since they keep letting all kinds of strangers (vault dwellers, couriers, villagers) join them, I can't take any of it seriously. I got tired of California's BoS way back in FO1, Obsids should just destroy this faction in a spectacular manner and leave it to others to keep making silly spin-offs.

Well the vault dweller kinda made sense - as s/he was not an "above grounder". Can you join the BoS in NV? I though you were just barely accepted (or praised if you really proved your worth), but never initiated, which made sense to me..

Fortune favors the bald.

It makes sense in the game's context, because the courier is a friggin' one-man army. but all the talk about not letting strangers in is getting really old, because in every game the protagonist joins the BoS in spite of that.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, in their defense, all the characters I play are pretty hip.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ahaha, that's right, they just can't resist :p

Walsingham said:

....I fired up the game last night and...I do believe I've finally become a bit burnt out on NV - yes, even the Boone Experience. Altho I can still run around watching him kill stuff for a while. I think my last game/chr, which was a very in-depth playthru, + too much video editing, tipped me over the edge.

...guess I'll take a break. The boredom of having nothing else I particularly want to do should have me scurrying back to the game in a couple days...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

this would be a perfect time to catch up on the original story and try FO1 :p

Walsingham said:

I'm not sure I could go back to that sort of visual look for a game I've never played before. Up to a few years ago it would have been no problem, but the recent games I've played have kind of spoiled me into certain visual layouts. :/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Boredom is a powerful motivation to break those walls. And the reward is great. I actually sort of miss the original FO look, now. I think FO3/NV did a good job but it won't really stick in your mind as powerfully.

definitely give it a try, C, it's too good a game to pass on just because of the graphics and combat ;)

Walsingham said:

I'll open myself to vile recrimination by saying I think the scene where the vault dweller comes out into the daylight for the first time in Fallout 3 is one of the most powerful visual moments in the series. I'm pretty happy with the look and feel of the 'new' Fallout first person look, but I also miss the look and feel of Fallouts 1/2. That's especially true because I despise VATS in either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Turn based combat in the first two was fun. VATS turned based mode is horrid and I hates it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i too like the scene where you go outside for the first time too. lots of problems with fallout 3 but that isn't one of them imo ;)

my personal favorite image/moments in the series are the first sight of the Master, god what a shock that was... and the short end cinematic of fallout 1.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'll open myself to vile recrimination by saying I think the scene where the vault dweller comes out into the daylight for the first time in Fallout 3 is one of the most powerful visual moments in the series. I'm pretty happy with the look and feel of the 'new' Fallout first person look, but I also miss the look and feel of Fallouts 1/2. That's especially true because I despise VATS in either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Turn based combat in the first two was fun. VATS turned based mode is horrid and I hates it.

While I love turn based combat, IMO big fights in FO1 & 2 are a bit of a snoozer. And I hated the bit where a random hostile person off the map could trigger combat meaning you have to slog through 20 round just to find the guy.

Add into that the annoyance in picking up multiple items from the ground and...well I like FO 1&2 but just like 3 and NV they do some things well and some things not so well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

FO1/2 had its horrible bits, but I think the combat was a lot more fun. It had a lot more memorable and engaging moments. Like when you need your flamer or minigun or rocket launcher to hit just the right tile and hope you get all the super mutants down before it's their turn, when you have to work with limited AP to make things work - you get a lot of situations where it really is "if i don't get this right i'm dead". VATS doesn't translate any of this, it's just a glorified autoaim for all the good it does to make combat exciting.

Patch tomorrow, that's early. Hope it's save & mod compatible, though I havent patched my NV once yet.

Yeah, there was a much more tactical feel to combat in the early Fallout games. I know exactly what you're talking about, Amentep, but I'm just more with Tig on it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Except for some strategy games, I've never been very into turn-based combat. It works and I know why it's used/some like it...and pausing to give orders to party members is fine...but still..not my favorite thing.

...thinking maybe my problem last night was that I'm not liking the current character. Fun as the companions are, the tactic of letting them do all the killing was becoming dull. Plus the Ferocious Loyalty wasn't quite working the way I'd hoped. The DR does work, but not a terribly fun way to play (half-health all the time) for very long.

So hm...the patch is tomorrow? Guess I'll wait and see what ppl say about it, then make a new chr. after I (probably) download it.

I agree that going out into the world for the first time in Fallout 3 ranks as one of the most memorable scenes from any Fallout game. Seeing the new, reborn wasteland in 3D after ten years of hiatus made it even more exciting. And also, the knowledge that everything you saw in front of you were open for exploration.. powerful. I had this feeling of, "They've done it", as in they've actually managed to revive the brand and transform it into a modern format. Of course, the game had a few flaws that I didn't know about then, but that moment was great.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree that going out into the world for the first time in Fallout 3 ranks as one of the most memorable scenes from any Fallout game.

It was memorable because it mean that god-awful tutorial-story sequence that started the game was over.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It was memorable because it mean that god-awful tutorial-story sequence that started the game was over.

so true :)

Walsingham said:

Eh doubt they'll win, against SC2 and ME2. Feel sorry for Sawyer et al. though, having to show up for the thing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra