Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Most of the stuff was in Fallout 3. Not that it is less annoying now.. but it already has been in Fallout 3. So blaming NV for this now, but ignoring it in F3 back then, seems very idiotic to me.

Not to me. Remember, this is a game that's coming out several years after Fallout 3, thus they had all those extra years to work out the original's kinks.

Of course, while building a game of this size there's bound to be new kinks introduced into the mix..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wonder if they only played a few hours and then reviewd it, or did they get a review copy some time ago?

Reviewers and publications get early copies.

My copy will be at home after work. Tracking lists it as the next city over at 2 hours ago.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I wonder if they only played a few hours and then reviewd it, or did they get a review copy some time ago?

Reviewers and publications get early copies.

Even trolls like Jim Sterling?

Well, whatever....

They probably sent a copy to Destructoid and Destructoid sent it to Sterling to review. I'm not exactly sure how it works for reviewer/publication/blog.

"Several years"

More like a year and a half.

Perhaps. I was going by the fact that Fallout 3 was released in October 2008 and Fallout: New Vegas in October 2010. There may have been a delay between the two projects though, in either direction.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Most of the stuff was in Fallout 3. Not that it is less annoying now.. but it already has been in Fallout 3. So blaming NV for this now, but ignoring it in F3 back then, seems very idiotic to me.

Not to me. Remember, this is a game that's coming out several years after Fallout 3, thus they had all those extra years to work out the original's kinks.

Of course, while building a game of this size there's bound to be new kinks introduced into the mix..

Several years? It's been ca. 2 years. And the project was still in pre-production in february 2009.

I think they had enough to do putting all the content in.

Reading that RPS impression made me shake my head. Are game reviewers really as uniformed and ignorant as they appear to be? Or is it merely some clever ruse in a bid for global power?

Cretins.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Just uniformed, I'll guess. German GameStar also wrote that the maincharacter has amnesia, etc. even though it was said often enough, that he doesn't have amnesia.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The bethssoft version of this engine has flaws and problems that have been around now for a long long time. Obiously they are either not-fixable or too difficult to bother fixing.

Don't review the engine. It sucks. We know. Review the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The only thing bothering me about the RPS impression is the complaint that the he can't bind keys. When he mentions he's playing on the console. That seems pretty standard.

The only thing bothering me about the RPS impression is the complaint that the he can't bind keys. When he mentions he's playing on the console. That seems pretty standard.

To me, the fact the reviewer bothered to take a screenshot of the npc "typing" at the invisible typewriter tells me all I need to know about where they are coming from.

Yeah, the AI got messed up in its animations.

A) It's a super minor issue.

B) It's been happening for years with this engine

Big deal.

IMO, the reviewer was simply looking for ways to back his "FO3 = OMG buggy" thesis. Not the kind of approach I'm looking for in a game review.

The bethssoft version of this engine has flaws and problems that have been around now for a long long time. Obiously they are either not-fixable or too difficult to bother fixing.

Don't review the engine. It sucks. We know. Review the game.

there are enough gamebugs mentioned in the reviews, its to easy blaming the engine for everything.

for me for the moment the most important thing is the game seems to be great, but it will need patches that is for shure and i hope obsidian will show good patch support.

IMO, the reviewer was simply looking for ways to back his "FO3 = OMG buggy" thesis. Not the kind of approach I'm looking for in a game review.

Edit: RPS are usually even handed. This was a first impressions article, he's experienced several bugs in four hours and he's mentioning them, he also said he's having fun so far. Given that it's an RPG I also assume that not that much is going on at the moment aside from introducing the world and the obligatory tutorials. I'm sure the full review will shine light on the good wherever it's due.

Edited by Serrano

I think that reviewers/publishers of first impressions owe it to their readers to share the glitches, as well as the things they've enjoyed. So far, I'm mostly pleased that I've read nothing that makes me think I won't get a lot of enjoyment from the game. It may need patching. I may need to avoid the quicksave key. But the good stuff seems to be there. :ermm:

Edited by Lady Evenstar