It was never Bugsidian's fault, it's always the publisher

Don't you mean buglisher?

It was all Sega's fault, they didn't give Bugsidian enough time, only 5 years

Just like how it was LucasArts fault KOTOR2 was unfinished

And how it was Atari's fault NWN2 was one of the buggiest games ever

And how it will be Bethesda's fault New Vegas will be buggy

Except AP wasn't that buggy.

It certainly was LucasArt's fault that an unfinished KotOR2 was released.

Voluorn, the similarity in the dialogue systems are superficial. The conversations play out very differently in each game - you don't navigate through dialogue in AP in the way you do in ME - AP's dialogue is much more directed, there's no central "options" section you can revisit later from which you can decide which branch of dialogue to proceed with, and there are no dead-end branches.

The skill system is similar, as is the combat, but the combat had already been done in numerous other games (minus the dice rolls) and the skill system isn't all that original either.

The way in which the narrative flows is completely different in the two games, minus the hub structure (which isn't even implemented in a similar manner).

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It's the time for Obsidian give us modding tools. Don't you think?

Oh, that'd be great. :(

EDIT:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was quite buggy and had technical performance issues (framerate).

AP doesn't really suffer from bugginess.

AP suffers from unbalanced weapons and skills more so than anything else.

Some more play-testing and re-balancing would go a long way w/ AP in a patch...

Edited by MysterD

It was all Sega's fault, they didn't give Bugsidian enough time, only 5 years

Just like how it was LucasArts fault KOTOR2 was unfinished

And how it was Atari's fault NWN2 was one of the buggiest games ever

And how it will be Bethesda's fault New Vegas will be buggy

It certainly was LucasArt's fault that an unfinished KotOR2 was released.

Voluorn, the similarity in the dialogue systems are superficial. The conversations play out very differently in each game - you don't navigate through dialogue in AP in the way you do in ME - AP's dialogue is much more directed, there's no central "options" section you can revisit later from which you can decide which branch of dialogue to proceed with, and there are no dead-end branches.

The skill system is similar, as is the combat, but the combat had already been done in numerous other games (minus the dice rolls) and the skill system isn't all that original either.

The way in which the narrative flows is completely different in the two games, minus the hub structure (which isn't even implemented in a similar manner).

I played 3 times through AP on my PC, only a single time it crashed and there were no other issues with it.

I can't speak of consoles ofc, as I wouldn't even poke them with a stick.

the fact however stays that most of the time the publisher is at fault if something gets rushed and is released with buggy, but not always (Paradox games as example)

IB1OsQq.png

I've never understood the Obsidian OR Bioware fanbase that seems to have built up... They both produce rpg's that usually have a collection of good points and bad points.. and most of the time, you can have an enjoyable time playing through them at least once. Quite often twice. And now and again at least once a year.... :p

Obsidian can quite often have good storytelling, but with issues over the gameplay mechanics that interfere with the story..

Bioware can quite often feel like a "travel to four hubs, accomplish sidequests, meet a bunch of dysfunctional characters, and kick ass" on a wash, rinse, repeat cycle... but they tend to do it damn well and still be fun.

I've yet to come across a game produced by any publisher thats a total gem of perfection. There's just games with flaws that don't interfere with your enjoyment of them.. And half the time, what are flaws to one person aren't to another.

So why get hung up over Obsidian OR Bioware? Comment on them, put your perspective out there, make snarky comments.. but turning it into binary set of one or zero seems silly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Also it's funny seeing a Bioware fanboy (Volourn) vs Obsidian fanboys (almost everyone else)."

People keep saying this even though its blantantly not true. I quite likem Obsidian. For the rcord 9again0, I have bought 100% of Obsidian's games yet I have not bough all of BIO's games. Yet, I'm a BIO 'fanboy'? The math here is illogical.

"I've never understood the Obsidian OR Bioware fanbase that seems to have built up..."

Hilarious thing that most hardcore Obsidian fnaboys will dread to admit is that Obsidian's audience is basically just a subset of BIO fans. Seriously, if Obsidian were to fold 9which I doubt and hope they don't); their fanbase wouild just continue buying BIO games anyway).

"Bioware can quite often feel like a "travel to four hubs, accomplish sidequests, meet a bunch of dysfunctional characters, and kick ass"

Sounds like Obsidian's games as well. heck, sounds like almost evry RPG ever. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Poor Alpha Protocol Sequel maybe they'll revisit it the future after the finish Fallout:NV & Halfway through DS3.

Also it's funny seeing a Bioware fanboy (Volourn) vs Obsidian fanboys (almost everyone else).

I'm a fan of both Bioware's games and Obsidian's game.

We most definitely need BOTH companies around to make RPG's, if you ask me...

Just...I wish Obsidian would polish the hell out of their games by its release-date...

People keep saying this even though its blantantly not true. I quite likem Obsidian. For the rcord 9again0, I have bought 100% of Obsidian's games yet I have not bough all of BIO's games. Yet, I'm a BIO 'fanboy'? The math here is illogical.

Since when did you have to buy all their games to be a fanboy, there are Nintendo fanboys out there doubt they buy all there games and/or console/handheld devices. I think it's more about how fanboys defend the f---out what every their a fanboy of. I have read most of the comments here and it seems you are the defendant of Bioware. While most everyone else is the defendant of Obsidian, while i'm here just amused at everyone comments. :(

"I have read most of the comments here and it seems you are the defendant of Bioware. While most everyone else is the defendant of Obsidian, while i'm here just amused at everyone comments. "

Must explain why I 'defend' KOTOR as overrated, couldn't give a crap about Sonic RPG, found SOU merely 'average', rated the 'perfect' NWN OC an AMAZING 75%, and praised without question the dumbding down of ME2's character system...

I believe you are inflicted with the rather common internet diseases known as selective reading memory. L0LZ

P.S. "Since when did you have to buy all their games to be a fanboy, there are Nintendo fanboys"

Poorm comparison. nintendo is a mega company that produces a bunch of games and has a bunch of other companies make games for their differencet machines while BIO is a company that releases games at a rate about one per year. Very poor comparison.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And no reason it should be not.

Aside from the poor sales and poor reception of the original game?

I was saying that if you feel a need to make a game that is improving aspects of a previous game you made, it can just as well be a sequel than an original title.

Sure, they do. I even gave an example. The main characters. Please don't tell me you don't see the similarities between Thornton and Shepard? Even, the fact that Thornton got recruited to a 'super duper elite organization' just like Shepard is a similarty. Seriously, did you actually play the two games?

Thorton's better than Shepard:

1. With Thorton, every time combat starts I hear Tenacious D's Karate in my head.

2. Thorton does almost all his missions by himself.

3. 4 chicks in the same game.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Must explain why I 'defend' KOTOR as overrated, couldn't give a crap about Sonic RPG, found SOU merely 'average', rated the 'perfect' NWN OC an AMAZING 75%, and praised without question the dumbding down of ME2's character system...

I believe you are inflicted with the rather common internet diseases known as selective reading memory. L0LZ

Poorm comparison. nintendo is a mega company that produces a bunch of games and has a bunch of other companies make games for their differencet machines while BIO is a company that releases games at a rate about one per year. Very poor comparison.

I'm sorry I guess every time someone said something bad about Bioware and I see you come to their rescue must be my imagination (No it's not my imagination). And when i said i read most of the I meant most not all comment (sigh)selective reading. Whether or not your a fanboy you defend Bioware like a a mother bird defends her chicks being attacked by a Canadian(inside joke between a friend and me).

Ok Nintendo was a bad example but still my point is that you don't have to buy all their games to be a fanboy. I'll use another example Valve i know people that have just played the half-life series and counterstrike series and will defend Valve to the death because they love the company for making those great games. Same with Bioware they liked Mass series and kotor but never played dragon age or the other games they made.

Sure, they do. I even gave an example. The main characters. Please don't tell me you don't see the similarities between Thornton and Shepard? Even, the fact that Thornton got recruited to a 'super duper elite organization' just like Shepard is a similarty. Seriously, did you actually play the two games?

Thorton's better than Shepard:

1. With Thorton, every time combat starts I hear Tenacious D's Karate in my head.

2. Thorton does almost all his missions by himself.

lol, last point made me laugh

but mass effect 2 had 3 chicks and 3 dudes........wait your right Thorton wins :(

I played 3 times through AP on my PC, only a single time it crashed and there were no other issues with it.

I can't speak of consoles ofc, as I wouldn't even poke them with a stick.

I had little trouble with NWN2, yet I still recognize it was buggy.

the fact however stays that most of the time the publisher is at fault if something gets rushed and is released with buggy, but not always (Paradox games as example)

AP was not rushed. 5 years in development doesn't equal rushed.(unless it's Blizzard)

Shep had aliens, Shep can be female and get it on with female aliens. Shep wins.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

AP was not rushed. 5 years in development doesn't equal rushed.(unless it's Blizzard)

Wasn't it more like 4 years since no development was being done by Obsidian on the game after Sega pushed back the release date?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Also, weren't you the JRPG guy? ;)

Uh.. No.

I have to admit, the preponderance of slicked back hair and angstry teenage moodsters in JRPG's tend to make me wary of taking them seriously... ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."