New Laptop

Hurlshort

I'm preparing myself for my next computer, and it is clear that I need a good gaming laptop. I currently live out in the country and my internet is weak, so I think I can get around that issue by having a more portable gaming rig. It will also be nice to have on RV trips. So what do you tech folks think is the best bet?

I'm not worried about weight or portability. I want a good size screen. As long as I can carry it somewhat I am happy.

I want it to be high powered, but hopefully not melt too soon, a lifespan of about 3 years would be ideal. It needs to be able to handle the current top software.

I've used Alienware in the past and I like it, although I know they are pricey. I can spend up to about $2,000 on the rig. I also have about a year before I buy it. Any suggestions?

As much as I hate ATI and Acer, the Acer Aspire 8943G looks like it fits your description well. For $2k, you can't really get a good Alienware, especially not with the giant screen you want. If you want ludicrous speed, Digital Storm and IBuyPower might be good- they make faster products than Alienware, but without the frills so you more bang for your buck.

EDIT: In a year or so my Acer suggestion will be irrelevant.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Or why not go for an Asus? The ASUS G73JH is slightly more powerful (Radeon 5870M instead of 5850M) than the Acer in the post above, but at the same price.

Unfortunately it is also one of the ugliest laptops you'll ever find! I think they were going for a stealth plane look, but they failed. Hard.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Or why not go for an Asus? The ASUS G73JH is slightly more powerful (Radeon 5870M instead of 5850M) than the Acer in the post above, but at the same price.

Unfortunately it is also one of the ugliest laptops you'll ever find! I think they were going for a stealth plane look, but they failed. Hard.

I fully recommend ASUS products, they're all rock-solid and ASUS tech support is actually somewhat helpful. I don't buy motherboards from any other manufacturer anymore, simply because of how great ASUS motherboards are. They're cheap, too.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Alienware makes nice gaming laptops, but, as you said, they are on the expensive end of the spectrum.

Alienware was bought by Dell, I'd stay away from them.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Alienware makes nice gaming laptops, but, as you said, they are on the expensive end of the spectrum.

Weirdly, I noticed this just the other day when looking for a desktop. I am not buying dell, because I've had to help three family friends whose Dell machines arrived loaded up to the gills with spyware and other 'helpful' sh**e. My conclusion is that Dell now think their customers are bovine ***holes. Now, I may be a bovine ***hole, but I'm damned if I'll admit it to strangers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dell owns Alienware, but it still operates as a specialized gaming boutique. It is similar to the developer-publisher relationship, Alienware gets more exposure and resources, Dell gets to sell high end products under a more reputable name.

They've been together for like 5 years now. I bought my desktop form them about three years ago and it has been a fantastic machine. It didn't have any junk installed on it, at least nothing noticeable.

They've been together for like 5 years now. I bought my desktop form them about three years ago and it has been a fantastic machine. It didn't have any junk installed on it, at least nothing noticeable.

Oh, OK. :rolleyes: Thanks for setting it straight.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

HP installs junk too. So much of it they have special HP service packs full of the latest junk.

Is there a big PC maker that doesn't pedal their computers with a ton of junk on it? Gateway, HP and Dell all do. Of course that is the price you pay for getting a great deal on them, I picked up two PC's the other day for my in-laws business and it was less than $500 total for two solid rigs.

HP installs junk too. So much of it they have special HP service packs full of the latest junk.

Is there a big PC maker that doesn't pedal their computers with a ton of junk on it? Gateway, HP and Dell all do. Of course that is the price you pay for getting a great deal on them, I picked up two PC's the other day for my in-laws business and it was less than $500 total for two solid rigs.

I hadn't looked at it that way.

Question: how much skill and time is required to field strip and delouse one of the babies? I have a mate who runs a techie business. Maybe it could be a new offerring?

-Elwood Blues

I think a clean install would be recommended, all things considered. That takes as long as a clean install takes, unless you have to use the OEM install that comes with the machine. I mean for people interested in remaining strictly legal who actually buy a new licence for every machine they own. Businesses and such.

I simply spent 5 minutes uninstalling everything named HP, then blocked some crap using msconfig (native windows program that decides what services and programs are loaded at startup for those who don't know)

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• 2 months later...
I'm preparing myself for my next computer, and it is clear that I need a good gaming laptop. I currently live out in the country and my internet is weak, so I think I can get around that issue by having a more portable gaming rig. It will also be nice to have on RV trips. So what do you tech folks think is the best bet?

I'm not worried about weight or portability. I want a good size screen. As long as I can carry it somewhat I am happy.

I want it to be high powered, but hopefully not melt too soon, a lifespan of about 3 years would be ideal. It needs to be able to handle the current top software.

I've used Alienware in the past and I like it, although I know they are pricey. I can spend up to about $2,000 on the rig. I also have about a year before I buy it. Any suggestions?

Asus Republic of Gamers G73Jh or MSI GT660R

• 4 weeks later...

Quick check guys:

GF is getting a new laptop, and although I keep telling her (non-gamer) that this is overkill, she wants to get a HP DV6-3079TX with an i7 core.

# 1.6GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor

# 4gb DDR3 RAM

# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics (1gb apparently, but I better check)

1700NZD = 1250USD. Computers are expensive in NZ, so I think this is actually not a bad deal, though I haven't kept up to date on i7s on laptops. Now I know this will be more than good enough for her needs, but I'll be able to use this as well, so my question is, as a games laptop, what do you think about its capabilities? I'm hopeful that it will be able to handle some games that my laptop can't:

# Intel Core2Duo Centrino P7350 2ghz

# 3gb DDR3 RAM

# NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512mb

It did Risen, Dragon Age, Crysis, Alpha Protocol at mid-high settings but will probably begin to struggle with this year's crop of games. Am I right in thinking the new buy will represent a clear 'step up'? Also generally interested if one of you think it's not a good deal, but keep in mind in NZ options are few for computers, you literallky have to choose from less than 50 models.

It's about as good as it gets without going into the boutique gamer-marketed desktop replacements. Just don't try to game without it being plugged into the wall, and given the heat dissipation of the GPU and the CPU (in turbo mode), keep it off your lap too unless you want some nasty burns ....down there.

But yeah, price is very competitive, so not a waste as long as you get to play with it. ;)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's more a leap than a step, IMO.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Well, it was purchased, and I think it was pretty good, yes. I tried Arcania demo on it and on full settings it was fine. Obviously it came with NOrton and all kinds of monstrous things - HP are getting worse and worse, now they have their own mini-OS called quickweb so that you don't even boot into windows! All purged.

All this has made me think of replacing my laptop - it all depends on my next career/study step, but how's the market at the moment? Obviously i7 in laptops is going into full swing right now, but are we on the verge of a new generation of CPU/GPUs for laptops?

Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture is on track for Q1 '11. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/intels-...-bridge-part-ii

Looks like the overall CPU grunt will be more an incremental increase, nothing earth shattering. The integrated graphics will be significantly better than the current generation - as in about twice as powerful - but the third party GPU providers will probably still dominate the portable gaming space. No idea about heat/power figures though. All in all I'd say it's a more exciting change for the mid-lower end of the market, less so for the serious gamer.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G