The official E3 2010 thread of waggle

Purkake

But it's not just the publishers, just look at all the people begging for a Alpha Protocol 2. People are also into franchises in a big way.

Yeah, I do understand it, hence the 'way it goes.' ;) Books, movies....sequel-itis is one reason I stopped reading very many novels or caring about a lot of movies.

I guess I was just foolishly hoping that the vid. game industry would avoid it being quite so dominant for a bit longer. There have been some game sequels that I've liked almost as much as the original, & certainly games where I want a sequel (Diablo, haha) so again, not always a bad thing. It's just disheartening when it starts to feel that's all there is anymore.

The problem with new IP's is technology and exposure, its hard to get any exposure at all unless you have alot of marketing bucks... Usually its the first iteration of the technology aswell, so its alot more effort to create something totally new.

Title name recognition=more sales, among other things.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But it's not just the publishers, just look at all the people begging for a Alpha Protocol 2. People are also into franchises in a big way.

Yeah, I do understand it, hence the 'way it goes.' :) Books, movies....sequel-itis is one reason I stopped reading very many novels or caring about a lot of movies.

I guess I was just foolishly hoping that the vid. game industry would avoid it being quite so dominant for a bit longer. There have been some game sequels that I've liked almost as much as the original, & certainly games where I want a sequel (Diablo, haha) so again, not always a bad thing. It's just disheartening when it starts to feel that's all there is anymore.

I think it comes down to having a planned out arc like some awesome TV series(Babylon 5) and book series vs just making stuff up as you go along. Of course it's pretty hard to predict whether a game will do well or not and no one likes cliff-hanger endings with no sequel ever coming out. Mass Effect was supposedly planned out from the start, but the second part still feels like it was made up as they went along.

The problem with new IP's is technology and exposure, its hard to get any exposure at all unless you have alot of marketing bucks... Usually its the first iteration of the technology aswell, so its alot more effort to create something totally new.

Title name recognition=more sales, among other things.

There's no reason every game has to be a AAA $60 title. What's wrong with big developers making small innovative download-only games? I guess this mostly the publisher's fault.

That is probably because of the graphics/polish thing, people still want those things out of small games.(Most sequels feel like expansion packs though.)

Also, why don't you guys get a Gamecube or a PS2 and play some of the games out for those?

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

E3, now with Sid Mier!

http://kotaku.com/5565685/civilization-vs-...er-to-pc-gamers

also

One million trooops... one MILLIWON TWOOOPPSSS!

I think the guy was scared out of his mind and didn't know english that well

http://kotaku.com/5565721/the-wtf-video-of-e3-2010

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That is probably because of the graphics/polish thing, people still want those things out of small games.(Most sequels feel like expansion packs though.)

Also, why don't you guys get a Gamecube or a PS2 and play some of the games out for those?

What about Braid or World of Goo? One is a single-man operation and the other is done by two people, both look amazing and have plenty of polish.

It comes down to taking the control away from the player. Not that everyone wanted to watch the Vance heart to heart, but there is a difference.
Valve took away cutscene skipping controls. :woot:

They're just portraying it realistically, how exactly would a mute in a power suit tell the Vances to knock their crap off?

The whole game is actually about people using you for their own ends, Gordon is nothing but a tool.

"Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

Edited by Purkake

Arcania: Destiny Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-...a-gothic/700489

Looks pretty sweet. I'm not really getting that Gothic vibe anymore, but it still looks like a type of game I will enjoy.

I wonder what it is about the Gothic games that makes me think of them as Gothic games? Risen didn't have it and this doesn't look like it has it, but what exactly is it that's missing? So weird.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

umm yeah... what a groundbreaking new quest type for an MMO... Go kill mobs, bring me their penises as a proof of your heroic deed!!!... yay... not...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Some gameplay from TOR: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/star-wars-...-gameplay-clips

There's a small quest at the end, pretty lame IMO.

KotOR 1 was a billion times more interesting.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Are they making a KotoR MMO or a Ep2/3 MMO? All the art design is ripped straight from the Clone Wars not friggin ToR.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Art style = horrible. I already called it when I saw the first footage of the game.

Gameplay? It looks like your run-of-the-mill Bioware's game, let's see how it can fare when they're doing a MMO and not a SP game.

The game has full voice acting. I never got the point of this, nobody cares about the acting/story in MMOs and the only effect it has on the game is wasting ressources and ultimately less content. It seems the only reason this is an MMO is to try and grab some more money.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Art style = horrible. I already called it when I saw the first footage of the game.

Gameplay? It looks like your run-of-the-mill Bioware's game, let's see how it can fare when they're doing a MMO and not a SP game.

The game has full voice acting. I never got the point of this, nobody cares about the acting/story in MMOs and the only effect it has on the game is wasting ressources and ultimately less content. It seems the only reason this is an MMO is to try and grab some more money.

What I don't really understand are all those comments like 'wow, we can play it like a single player game, I may buy it!'.

Ehrm. Yes. Yes.... :rolleyes:

Edited by WorstUsernameEver