What needs to be added to AP2

So I finished my 2nd playthrough of Alpha Protocol.

All in all I thought it was very good game. The only things I can see Obsidian trying to fix with this game is the AI, stealth mechanics, adding a walk button, some stiff animations, (this could just be me) adjust certain items in the clearinghouses and mouse repsonsiveness during the mini games (which I actually didn't mind).

Other then that the game was great. Dialogue and voice acting were top notch. I loved the amount of dialogue options you get. You get to choose who lives and who dies. All in all, I had lots of fun.

My biggest complaint of the game is lack of exploration and NPC interaction. This might just be me, but I expected lots of exploring in this game when I started getting hyped up for it. I kinda imagined the game would play out like Deus Ex, and it did.... to an extent. There's plenty of exploration to do in the levels and it definitely pays off to scan every area (just like in Deus Ex). But like I said, I was expecting that you could leave the safe house and just walk around talk to the NPCs and seeing how the react to recent events in the game and what not. Example: You have to meet contact X. Instead of just going straight to the cutscene allow the player to get there and explore the area while doing it. I definitely think Obsidian should pursue this in the next one (if it does which I hope).

Another thing I would like to see added in the next game is more weapon models. I was an assault rifle/pistol guy so i think I only saw 2-3 models each. I would like to see a lot more variety.

Pistols:

PPK

P99

Colt

USP

Glock

Assault Rifles:

G36 family (G36C is my favorite weapon in real life)

M16

M4

Tar 21

Bullpup weapons

That's just a small list of course and I apologize that I didn't mention SMGs and Shotguns. I think they only have 2-3 models as well but I think people would agree they would like to see more.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

So that's basically all I really want in the next game. More int he city exploration, NPC interaction, and more weapon models.

Edited by Zerosaber

I'd put it to a vote and toss out the current engine and throw in another one thats more.. versatile.

The levels need to be bigger, more expansive. Example: Taking out Saheed's convoy.. (you know what I'm talking about) Another example: Taking out the trash for Hong Shi (seriously..) A few more examples: The assassinate Al-Bara Mission (..), Talking to the Gelato dude, Talking to Grigori, Heck or any Information.. those are not levels, and never will be.

Add more use to the Safehouses: Infact, make the Safehouses useful to begin with, not just a mission/buy hub.

Add more interaction with the characters: Talking to the characters when your required to or through email is awesome, but it would be nice to be able to ring up whomever you wanted (ie, who your 'scrogging') and talk about random stuff, the mission, opinions about people, organizations, etc.. would help add a little more depth and flesh out the characters even more (imho).

Add more guns: Like OP says, but also gun fuctionality. Singleshots, full auto and triple shot (cause each weapon is different). Special ammo too, hot-loaded, cold-loaded, sub-sonic, armored piericing, hallowpoint, etc.. you get the drift. And "realistic" gun-mods too.. a laser-sight doesn't go ontop of a pistol (i think).

More clothes: If we want Mike to look suave during a mission, we should at least have a choice of picking his suave-ness, not being defaulted to a tacky not-fully buttoned (thankfully collar un-popped) dress shirt.

More everything choices: Come on, live up to your "sharp dressed man" trailer. In addition to clothes, more hairstyles, glasses, eyes, beards, and other such stuff that'll make your own personal iThorton complete.

More NPC Options as handlers: If your working for Sie, she'll offer you assault based missions that are essentially randomly generated missions for extra monies (cause your 100% rogue at the end of the game, regardless of your decision.. time to go merc). Albatross would offer you infiltrate and/or assassination missions (or maybe scarlet can handle the assassination missions). Mina could handle hostage/bomb situations (dunno how that'd work out as a randomly generated.. will take some thought).

NPC backup: Scarlet provides the sniper support, Sie pulls a rambo, Sis would john-woo people (stealthfully too!) and Heck would probably bring a flamethrower to a barbeque.

More gadgets: No wonder-EMP please. Face-mask maker (ala MI), laptop gun? Sticky bombs? Trip wires? Remote bombs? Maybe even extra gadgets for your weapons. Like a stun-gun for your handgun (if your outta tranqs), or a keymaster for your assaultrifle (shotgun instead of a underslung grenade launcher).

I'd put it to a vote and toss out the current engine and throw in another one thats more.. versatile.

Seriously? You want an engine... more VERSATILE... than UE3?

I suppose UE4 will eventually come, but until then I can't think of an engine better suited for the task. Nope, not even Source or CryTek's engine come close...

EDIT: Also, random generated missions for AP sounds like the worst idea ever IMO.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Seriously? You want an engine... more VERSATILE... than UE3?

I suppose UE4 will eventually come, but until then I can't think of an engine better suited for the task. Nope, not even Source or CryTek's engine come close...

EDIT: Also, random generated missions for AP sounds like the worst idea ever IMO.

I suppose you haven't seen my other threads, but yes.. I am a crytek whore.

RGM's would be a bad idea, they could be a good idea. It all depends on how they are implemented and executed. At the very least they'll provide some padding for players who'd want to pad the game out for as long as possible.

Here's how I see it:

Obsidian came up with a fantastic idea of using different Archetypes for different power factions in the game (VCI, G22, Mountain Triad, CIA agents etc.) These can be studied in dossiers before encountering them so the player becomes well informed of the tactics said opponent will use.

Examples: CIA agents are supposed to wait until they hear you reloading and then attack you. Mountain triad gang members favor

bull rushing you and attacking you hand-to-hand with their kung-fu fighting skillz.

I thought this was an awesome idea. The discerning player/agent will buy all the intel possible before missions and get an advantage compared to a player who just ignores doing the homework and just rushes in to shoot the place up.

Here's how that should play through: Uninformed, you'd get owned by the enemies strategies until you've learned them in the field after a few reloads or very close near-death experiences. It should feel really tough and you should feel like you don't know what the enemy will do next.

Informed - armed with the dossiers and all the intel, however - you'll know that the G22 agents you're facing will be very difficult to sneak by, you'll be ready for possible ambushes and trickery. You'll also know their weak spots etc. and be able to react appropriately, much faster than if you had gone in blind and had to learn it all in the field, trial and error style. The fights will still be tough, but you'll know how to act.

Sadly, it doesn't feel like it does any difference at all in AP. You might as well go in blind because enemies do not act "smart" anyway.

So, in short, I'd like to see enemies fighting really creatively, surprising players. And rewarding careful study before missions.

Other things that I mentioned in another post: More rewards for choosing the sneak path, a tougher time when choosing to set off alarms and shooting everything that moves, make local police and media give you trouble if you make a mess out of missions with alarms etc., balance the weapons, fix the AI, make the game longer, more fun in the safe house (stuff to do), and make G22 (with Albatross and Sis) return as a joinable faction because they were awesome ;-)

Here's how I see it:

Sadly, it doesn't feel like it does any difference at all in AP. You might as well go in blind because enemies do not act "smart" anyway.

I guess you are playing it in easy/normal.

Here's how I see it:

Nope. First time I played it on Hard mode with a recruit, because I wanted a challenge. Played as a stealth character. Second time I played on Hard with a Veteran "shoot-everything" guy.

I'd say my skill level with shooters are average, nothing remarkable so don't take it as bragging. The only other shooters I've played through before are: Bioshock 1 and the mass effect games (hybrid shooters on those yeah)

My point was that reading the dossiers before encountering enemies does not make it easier to beat them.

The combat in the game WAS challenging at times, especially with my stealth character that only had 100 hp throughout the game. It wasn't challenging because the enemies acted smart though, mostly because I got shot, once or twice, and died instantly. :lol:

So, in short, I'd like to see enemies fighting really creatively, surprising players. And rewarding careful study before missions.

One thing that I wish had happened (and this isn't a complaint, but something I'd have thought would have been cool but probably a gazillion times difficult to implement) is if you could study the maps you buy from Intel before you go into the mission, perhaps even being able to map a "potential path" through the mission (one thing with the map now is that I have trouble telling which floor is which).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Here's how I see it:

Nope. First time I played it on Hard mode with a recruit, because I wanted a challenge. Played as a stealth character. Second time I played on Hard with a Veteran "shoot-everything" guy.

I'd say my skill level with shooters are average, nothing remarkable so don't take it as bragging. The only other shooters I've plahttp://forums.obsidian.net/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gifyed through before are: Bioshock 1 and the mass effect games (hybrid shooters on those yeah)

My point was that reading the dossiers before encountering enemies does not make it easier to beat them.

The combat in the game WAS challenging at times, especially with my stealth character that only had 100 hp throughout the game. It wasn't challenging because the enemies acted smart though, mostly because I got shot, once or twice, and died instantly. :p

Hmmm, pretty nice idea, though I don't think they even intended that or it is something that probably was killed in the early developement phase anyway. It's not even a question of smartening the AI but of giving them different routines. Wouldn't be hard to implent I think

Though, I see exactly that when I fight bosses actually. They have different patterns.

Would be nice in any case to implent with a patch or bringing in in AP2. :lol:

Also purchasing Intel etc. can help in the fights since it makes them weaker in certain situations.

More espionage.

I mean the espionage-style espionage, gathering intel, going undercover, being a mole at the heart of the enemy.

Varied up with the shooting-stealth-etc. missions, it would make a great addition.

Like a.. good version of mission impossible for n64?!

More open levels, bodies not disappearing (*guard looks down at dead guard body* ... "I'm going to have to report this." ... *continues patrol*), more missions where you have a choice in handler (are their small bits of dialogue really that hard to write and record?), slightly more accurate weapons, and documentation on what each weapon attribute means.

A good list for starters.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

IDK why gamers complain about the stealth when is easy clear a room of enemies ( brakio gameroom) with the stealth abilities. You don't need always be a mole to be a spy. Why gamers can accept games like SC , MGS , Alias, Spy fiction etc as good spionage games and when talking about AP find a lot of complains etc. In war all the battles aren't the same , in spionage all the mission aren't the same either.

Edited by Alpha

IDK why gamers complain about the stealth when is easy clear a room of enemies ( brakio gameroom) with the stealth abilities.

The stealth could be expanded. Also some want to not even engage in enemy combat. Of course thats not really a reason to critizite something. But it would be nice if it was added. :)

Make levels bigger and more nonlinear, more vertical with some climbing or jumping, I'd like to make a grand entrance by jumping in from the roof and shoot everyone. :)

And don't show enemy's health when blindfire, it's like invisible reticle and I feel like I'm cheating.

Edited by felix88

Complain about the graphics all you want, but I have a hard time thinking of any game (well, besides Vampire: Bloodlines) that does facial animation better.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Returning character interactions from the first game and not ME style. You spend the whole game making enemies or allies with different factions and agents, it should count for something. Plus Sis will probably be legal next game :shifty:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

the hard part with making a sequel, is managing to let all players continue with whatever ending they got (32 different versions?) and make all the choices count. There's a huge number of variables involved.. plenty of main characters that can either be killed or spared. I'm sure it will be tempting to throw away alot of the characters/story just to do something new and not have to deal with all the possible loose threads...

The way choices carried over from ME1 to ME2 was VERY minimal for example... didn't have much of an impact on anything.

Just imagine it. Sitting down to start a sequel, and having to do 32 different beginnings to the game... uff...

Yeah, a bit more expansion on the emails would be nice... For all the oomph about conducting research that gets mentioned at the start, apart from outright "buying" of information, there wasn't that much sneaky research to conduct...

It might of have been nice to have several emails that you could have started at points rather then purely reply only... And for all the mail that turned up, there seemed very few you could actually reply to... A few tweaks and enhancements on that would be good for a sequel..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."