Alpha Protocol vs. Deus Ex

I like AP a lot more than Deus Ex, I thought DX was a very good game but not this amazing pinnacle of awesome-sauce. In the end its core gameplay (shooting, etc) was quite simple and generic, as were the visuals, somewhat mitigated by good level design. It would not have been a very special game except for the writing/plot and the choices you can make. And on that point, I'd argue AP is stronger - there's more choices & consequences, the game is more built around it.

It's certainly not a bad comparison to make - I think I'd tell anyone that enjoyed AP to try DX and vice versa, not so much with ME2 or whatever.

Deus Ex is my favorite game off all time, but let's be honest, that game had major issues.

Like most great RPGs, you have to overlook the faults to see the true beauty beneath. Alpha Protocol is no different in that regard.

I can certainly say that Alpha Protocol is one of my favorites this entire generation.

Edited by Libertarian

Neither game is perfect, but as CRPGs both are quite good and they share some of the flaws. AP has more c&c, better plot and writing which is why I like it more than Deus Ex.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I myself wait a few years and get a good laugh when people say Alpha Protocol was a hidden gem.
:p

Deus Ex has bad AI, lacklustre shooting, shallow stealth
My first four FPSes: Wolfeinstein 3D, Doom, Half-Life, Deus Ex. You can guess how much your points apply from my point of view. :sorcerer:

And on that point, I'd argue AP is stronger - there's more choices & consequences, the game is more built around it.
And now we come full circle.* AP had 10 years to surpass DX's C&C. :p

*Referring to 'FO3 had 8-9 years to refine FO1-2's SPECIAL' discussions, which you may or may not have taken part in. :lol:

My first four FPSes: Wolfeinstein 3D, Doom, Half-Life, Deus Ex. You can guess how much your points apply from my point of view. :)

It's funny, wasn't Deus Ex criticised for these very same things? Bad AI and lacklustre shooting at least, can't remember anything about stealth from that long ago. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm guessing AP might turn into one of those gems, like Deus Ex, that people are replaying again and again.

I do wonder what modders will do with the game in the near future.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm guessing AP might turn into one of those gems, like Deus Ex, that people are replaying again and again.

I do wonder what modders will do with the game in the near future.

it may but it is no deus ex

My first four FPSes: Wolfeinstein 3D, Doom, Half-Life, Deus Ex. You can guess how much your points apply from my point of view. :sorcerer:

It's funny, wasn't Deus Ex criticised for these very same things? Bad AI and lacklustre shooting at least, can't remember anything about stealth from that long ago. :)

I had a mag with a review once, but all I remember are the skill descriptions. :lol:

But seriously, Half-Life may had coordinating soldiers and all, but I was too young to notice that, but DX... guys hearing and seeing, searching and giving up etc...blew my mind back then. :lol: