Googling this problem yielded a lot of hits with a wide variety of software packages but nothing immediately concrete jumped out at me but here's a couple things:
- Unfortunately kreese12's suggestion of playing it with a VM may not work. I believe the copy protection will crash the game if it detects itself being run in a VM, but I could be wrong about that.
- What anti-virus solution are you using? If you turn it off, does it make a difference?
- Did you see the CD-key prompt ever? If so, did the crash occur during that prompt, after you successfully entered it? Do you see a black screen and then a crash, or does it just crash immediately on launch?
- Do you have any debugging tools on your computer by chance? Things like Visual Studio or other development software?
Reading other people who have had this problem with other games and software products, it usually seems to be related to:
- Administrative access is needed to run it (but we don't require it)
- Some other installed software causes it (one guy said his Logitech mouse drivers and HP printer drivers somehow were doing it and when he uninstalled them, it worked [not for AP, for another product])
- Try to reinstall Visual C++ Runtimes (which you did, but try installing both the x86 and x64 versions) Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Links to Microsoft's web site. Even though you have a 64-bit machine, the game is a 32-bit (x86) application. Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Registributable Package (x64)
- Links to Microsoft's web site
After you install these, check for Windows Updates - it's likely you'll need to download and install a few security updates.
- Try installing Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) - We don't require it, but that fixed it for someone else on a different software product.