Runtime error (Win 7 64-bit)

Garenth

Question

So I got the game in the mail today, and ever since, I've had nothing but trouble with it. :(

First I had some issues with the installer stopping in the middle of things, so I cancelled it, re-booted and installed it again. This time things checked out but as soon as I tried to launch it I got this error message:

o6gv9k.jpg

After that, I thought "I'll just format my drive and re-install Windows, it's about time anyways". When I was done, and had installed the game again, everything seemed to work and the game ran perfectly.

The problem is, it only worked ONCE, the next time I tried to launch it I got the same bloody error message. This is really starting to annoy me by now. :o

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and more importantly, how I can fix it?

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.66GHz

8GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD5870

Windows 7 64-bit

/Garenth

Edited by Garenth

Try again when the patch comes out - I've had games that won't run from all kinds of developers so I feel your pain, but perhaps it will help. Unfortunately runtime errors don't usually tend to have makeshift 'community solutions'.

Heya Tigranes,

Thanks, but I've solved the problem already. I've returned Alpha Protocol to the vendor, got 44 shiny Euros in return and proceeded to spend them on a bottle of Connemara and a couple of rental DVDs. I might try again once the patch materializes, but AP was the point where I felt I had to draw the line. Returning it felt good, too. Also, Connemara tends to take the edge off my day pretty well, so I'm all sweetness and light today.

Have a nice day.

C

Edited by Chloe

System Specs:

Processor Manufacturer: AMD

Processor Name / Type: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs)

Processor Core Speed: 2.5GHz

Operating System / Service Pack: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2

System RAM: 4094MB RAM

Video (GPU) Manufacturer: ATI

Video Card Model: Radeon HD 4890

Video Card Driver Version: Catalyst 10.6

Video Card onboard RAM: 1024 MB

Sound Card Manufacturer: Creative

Sound Card Model: SB X-Fi

An excellent choice, I approve.

Returning the game for a refund or the Connemara?

System Specs:

Operating System / Service Pack: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2

Both, obviously :x

Heh. You know the best part in all of this? Yesterday evening, I got a gift from my girlfriend who had just returned from holiday. It looked promising, so I was like, "Cool! Free game!!"

Then I opened the gift wrap...

... which revealed...

... a copy of Alpha Protocol.

So, I'm like, "Oh... Thanks." With all the enthusiasm the sentence implies in written form. So, my girlfriend says, "But... (expletive) you *like* role playing games!" So, I tell her the amazing adventures I had trying to get the game to run, since she's been away some time and didn't know or didn't remember that I had bought it a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, she had also brought some bottles for me to cling to in my desperation.

So, to keep on topic: Ummmm.... any news on the runtime error or the patch?

C

System Specs:

:( that's just sad.

Maybe the universe really wants you to play the game.

You know, you might be on to something there... :)

System Specs:

I am one of a cast of tens of thousands who are being held hostage by Obsidian's decision to play ostrich and bury their collective heads in the sand instead of helping us. Come on Obsidian and SEGA, you have published a game that should have been tested much more thoroughly before release. It is time for you to use some of the money you made off of us to help us fix these problems.

I have tried all of the fixes shown here, on the SEGA site and found on the web. None of them work! What do we have to do to get some REAL support, start a class action suit against Obsidian? When you purchase a game, you shouldn't have to be a computer engineer to get it to run. If your people had tested it better, you would have been aware that there was a problem with 64 bit systems. THEN, you could have put a warning on the technical requires for the game. A little fair warning isn't much to ask, you know?

It is not like you weren't aware that 64 bit systems were becoming a major part of the computing world. How long has XP 64 Pro been out? How long has Vista been out? How long has Windows 7 been out? This is a call for you to step up and do the right thing. Either help us make your product work, refund our money, or at the very least, offer us a product swap for a game that will work on a 64 bit system. If you don't, how many of us do you think will trust you with our cash in the future? I definitely won't!

Edited by destiny_driven

You make it sound like Obsidian and SEGA have you rounded up in a warehouse :shifty:

For what it's worth, it worked fine on Windows 7 64bit for me.

Lucky you. Perhaps you'd have a different opinion of Obsidian if they had sold YOU something that was totally useless. They have deserted thousands of us out here, after taking our money.

The thing that makes these people look even more guilty is how they hide their email addresses and phone numbers so you can't access them for help. That gives them the respectability of a group of con men. If they cared about their customers and their REPUTATION, they would at least TRY to help us out.

I am using windows XP 64 Professional, which is three generations old. They certainly had plenty of opportunity to test the product on this platform.

As for Alpha Protocol, you're honestly not missing too much.

Drat! Now you tell me. :shifty: After I've wasted countless hours of sleep, not to mention huge quantities of hard liquor trying to get it to run - without any success, I might add...

I keep asking myself why the fracking frack I'm bothering with this game anyway.

Gah! Back to lurking...

Edited by Chloe

System Specs:

While Obsidian does seem to have cunningly hidden they're contact information, it's not particularly hard to track down. SEGA is probably even easier.

As for Alpha Protocol, you're honestly not missing too much.

I also found that internet page. The number shown is disconnected. Thanks anyway for your efforts on my behalf.

I have been on enough sites looking for "the fix", that I have seen the poor product reviews for it. It is just a matter of principal that Obsidian turns out crap and steals our hard earned cash in the process. If I bought it and the game was horrible, that is one thing, but not being able to play it at all is quite another.

Did you try to return it?

Yes, I purchased it through a private vendor on Amazon.com , as Amazon was out of stock. He responded to my initial inquiry and then disappeared. For the last two weeks, I've been trying to reach him by email, but he has disappeared into the mist. There seems to be a lot of that going on when it comes to this game.

Yes, I purchased it through a private vendor on Amazon.com , as Amazon was out of stock. He responded to my initial inquiry and then disappeared. For the last two weeks, I've been trying to reach him by email, but he has disappeared into the mist. There seems to be a lot of that going on when it comes to this game.

Or you could inflict it on some unsuspecting friend. You know, as a birthday gift or something, so someone else has all the delight of a non-running game. Who knows, maybe it'll even run for them. Bonus!

C

System Specs:

If you were talking to me: Yes, I returned it. Only to get it as a present from my girlfriend two weeks or so after. I will not risk returning a gift from her. It would be... most unpleasant.

C

System Specs:

Or you could inflict it on some unsuspecting friend. You know, as a birthday gift or something, so someone else has all the delight of a non-running game. Who knows, maybe it'll even run for them. Bonus!

C

I have a better idea. Why don't we all gather in front of the Obsidian HQ and burn this useless piece of trash. Let them know what we think of their "product" and have a weenie roast at the same time. If we pick a slow news day, we might even get on the TV.

No, I meant destiny_driven, I remember your story from the previous page.

The universe does indeed seem to be against you(both) ;)

Maybe try it in another computer?

Yeah, thought about that. Trouble is, my other computers are:

1. a laptop that's been specced for work (and only work) and hence sucks.
  2. a seven year old machine that was decent when I bought it, halfway decent when I last upgraded it but is hopelessly obsolete in this fine August of 2010.
  3. a Linux server that I've started to set up but pretty much abandoned later on.

None of these have even the minimum specs for the game. My gaming machine won't run it (*sniffle*). Ah, well. I've replayed Mass Effect 1 and am currently running through Mass Effect 2. I like 'em, so let Obsidian go the way of Troika. I'm pretty much beyond caring at this point.

As for the universe, let it. It's ultimately against all of us. None of us will make it out alive, after all. :x

C

Edited by Chloe

System Specs:

I have a better idea. Why don't we all gather in front of the Obsidian HQ and burn this useless piece of trash. Let them know what we think of their "product" and have a weenie roast at the same time. If we pick a slow news day, we might even get on the TV.

Well, why don't we? Because in my case there are several obstacles to be overcome for the game burning:

1. I'm in Europe. Obsidian HQ is somewhere in the US (Orange County, CA?).
  2. I'm not paying the air fare. No way.
  3. This incarnation of the game was a present by my girlfriend.
  4. Doing anything to GF presents that involve returning, burning, stomping, fileting or target practice will result in most... interesting and unpleasant repercussions unless said gift was specifically given for any of the purposes mentioned above.
  5. I'm still not paying the ticket.
  6. My work schedule is a little too tight for trips to the US.

So, as interesting as your idea might be, I can't. Also, I don't think Obsidian would care. They have our money. The series won't be continued. The bugs may or may not be fixed. They don't need our goodwill. By the time they release the next game, it will have blown over and all this will start anew. At some point, if they keep this kind of work up, they will go out of business. I won't care.

C

Edited to clean up the formatting

Edited by Chloe

System Specs:

A friend's/relative's/pet's computer then?

My pets destroy computers. They don't own them. My computer owning relatives live like 1200km to the south of me, and I wouldn't inflict the irritation of trying to run this... this *thing* on my friends. :x

System Specs: