2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

That's because unlike all other videos, in this one one side was placed right in front of his face. Tampering, and for attempting to set fate like that the punishment is a loss.

This is also the first one Paul did without Germany. So, no precedent to see if he's right on this.

Edited by TrueNeutral

That's because unlike all other videos, in this one one side was placed right in front of his face. Tampering, and for attempting to set fate like that the punishment is a loss.

This is also the first one Paul did without Germany. So, no precedent to see if he's right on this.

Hahaha lol wut.....I've seen some of the videos for predictions over Argentina and other matches.....one box always ended up close to the octopus simply because the tank isn't too spacious. At any rate if the octopus can in fact predict the fate of these matches as it so far has then that shouldn't influence the pick as it seems to not have done so far.

Yeah, but that sort of illustrates an important point about Paul's success that people may be missing. He first gained international fame prior to the Germany - England match, having made three correct predictions before that point already. It is conceivable that there were numerous would-be animal oracles in the beginning, and we never heard about the failed ones. Paul was lucky enough to be correct sufficient amount of times to become an international star, and from that point on he has correctly predicted three times. If he chooses randomly, he had 1/8 chance to manage the feat through sheer luck. Hardly amazing odds, hardly something you would expect never to see. If he is biased in favour of Germany as I suspect (I don't know how or why that would be, but he does seem to pick Germany more often than one would expect), his odds are even greater because Germany often is the favourite to win any given game.

Of course Paul had some measure of success as an oracle already in 2008, so if he had received substantial local interest then already, his feat in this World Cup does become more impressive by virtue of him not being exactly a nobody when making those first three predictions.

In non-octopus related news, according to Bild Klose, Lahm and Neuer are not in Germany's lineup tonight, being replaced by Cacau, Aogo and Butt. Unfortunate for Klose if true, he is 32 and I doubt he'll get another chance to score those two goals to get past Ronaldo in the all time goal-scoring list.

Edited by Balthamael

In non-octopus related news, according to Bild Klose, Lahm and Neuer are not in Germany's lineup tonight, being replaced by Cacau, Aogo and Butt. Unfortunate for Klose if true, he is 32 and I doubt he'll get another chance to score those two goals to get past Ronaldo in the all time goal-scoring list.

Ironically enough I get the suspicion that's why he's being kept out of the game.....because he's thinking about scoring more than being part of the team and if he would end up being reckless that could end up costing Germany precious opportunities and even the match.

I am fond of both the Cloggies and the Spanish for reasons too numerous to post here.

So who do I support? Am genuinely struggling.

Obviously, my country has fought bitter wars (and won, naturally) against both but it was a long time ago and they were perfectly logical conflicts over which it is difficult to bear a grudge. Phil the psychic octopus favours Spain so I might have to go against this smug mind-flayer and support the Netherlands.

But it's difficult to get passionate about it, like I say I really am fond of both nations.

sonsofgygax.JPG

And Germany wins it in the end 2-3. Interesting game, good attacking football, like third place playoffs often are. Makes up for the probable defensive borefest tomorrow.

And that ****ing octopus still hasn't been wrong.

Best game of the tournament a long with the best goal of the tournament (Forlan), i didn't even care who won in the end, it was simply a bliss to watch.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Best game of the tournament a long with the best goal of the tournament (Forlan), i didn't even care who won in the end, it was simply a bliss to watch.

Best goal of the tournament? The other dude calling this fool a "huge threat"? I really don't think so. He got lucky....whoopsy freaking doo. There was nothing particularly special about the goal to make it best of the tournament....he intercepted a pass and managed to hit it in the net....oh and it bounced off the ground. That's as plain as a goal can be......absolutely nothing remotely interesting about it beyond adding a point to the score board.

Jensen's and Khedira's goals were better by virtue of intercepting a far longer pass and catching it with the head just right amid a highly unstable situation respectively. But Forlan catching a short pass and hitting it in the net goal of the tournament? Hell no.

Edited by Fallen Ghost

Nah, i disagree. Forlan's was the best one.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nah, i disagree. Forlan's was the best one.

Why? I already gave my argument for why there was nothing special to it. Any other reason on your part beyond just disagreeing to disagree?

You are talking about this goal right: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/goals/video/v...2106/index.html

He catches a 5 foot pass and hits it straight in the net....why in the world would that be best?

Yes, that is the one.

My argument is that i liked the aesthetic flow of how the ball went. A strike that was beautiful in my eyes. Technical proficiency or stratetegic positioning is of little use for me on how i evaluate a beautiful goal. Since my reasoning is based completely out of a subjective observation, which can not be objectively evaluated, i can not do anything other than disagree.

Something like that.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Guest The Architect

Didn't the Octopussy get his prediction wrong about a game not involving Germany beforehand? He keeps choosing the teams on the right. I'm gonna go for an upset - Dutch to win, with the seafood loving Spanish to demand the Germans hand over Paul or... risk having a letter written to them telling them how angry they are.