Poland torn apart by a single plane crash

Humodour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...d-in-crash.html

Poland's president, central bank governor, as well as the holders of the following military positions were all killed in a plane crash en route to commemorate victims of Stalin: chief of staff, head of operations, head of land forces, commander of the air force, special forces chief, and vice-admiral of the navy.

Many other high-profile figures in public and private office were killed in the crash (130 people in total).

Kind of insane.

There is a certain bizarre irony in there, isn't there?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not one I want to think about too much.

Looks like a bunch of MPs from both the upper and lower houses of parliament were also killed.

Imagine if something like this happened in Australia - Glenn Stevens, Kevin Rudd, various generals and heads of the military and special forces, as well as random Senators and ministers all dead in a day.

There would be by-elections all over the place that's for sure, and our economy would crash temporarily.

I think Gorth means in that Stalin is still killing Poles.

Yeah, they went to Russia to commemorate a large number of Polish army leaders being killed by the Russians. Did any of them by any chance piss off Putin?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This is a tragedy.

It will be interesting to see how the interim government performs. It is centre-right and socially conservative, sceptical of the EU. As another poster suggests, beware the EU bearing 'gifts.'

My sympathy goes out to our Polish friends.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Don't worry my Polish friends - Brussels will take over all governmental duties over your country now. Temporarily only, of course. emo-emot-smug.gif

Man, do i love the smug-smilie. We need one at this forum as well.

My condolences to the polish though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Firstly and above all, condolences to the Poles. You guys never seem to get a break, although if I may say so you bear your misfortunes with perennial and admirable good fettle.

As for the crash I am reminded of the death of Zia al Haq. An enquiry suggested that the probable cause was poison gas released in the flight deck of the plane. Although I confess that beyond my general opinion of Putin I can conceive of no particular benefit to his causing such a crash. I must therefore suggest that it is probably down to the lamentably poor safety record of these Russian made airplanes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Horrible and convenient tragedy. Horrible because 130, a huge chunk of Poland's governement and military leaders, lost their lives in this terrible accident. Convenient because most of those who died were anti-Russia politically, leaving the pro-Russian Prime Minister and his governmental supporters in a much more powerful position. Also convenient for Russia.

Conspiracy theories are bound to be flying on this one. It could be a coincidence, it could be a lucky coincidence, but a double-lucky coincidence... I dunno. I might even get myself a tin hat.

My heart goes out to the Polish people. They are the ones who truly suffered most by this tragedy.

I heard that Putin used his powers of mind control, weather manipulation and telekinesis to cause this crash- he has form, what with being Lord Lucan/ Vlad Dracul/ Genghiz Khan/ Attila/ Gaiseric/ Baybers, shooting Kennedy, stealing the Iron Duke, kidnapping the crew of the Marie Celeste, disguising himself as an iceberg to sink the Titanic, disguising himself as James Cameron to make a film based on the sinking of the Titanic, [etc etc]. Of course, I might be wrong, but well, he IS Putin...

Or alternatively the pilot decided to try and land at an unsuitable airport (which had minimal aids for instrument only based landings) in conditions of dreadful visibility and crashed on the third attempt at landing having ignored advice to divert, resulting in the tragic death of a bunch of people- admittedly this explanation does smack of conspiracy and :tinfoil: though.

On a totally unrelated note, I have no idea whatsoever where Russian feelings that they get blamed for everything without reason comes from, must be the indoctrination I guess...

Edited by Zoraptor

A number of posts about the Katyn event itself moved here