Deus Ex 3

Humodour

Fair enough, I played DX in 2008.

I think we mostly said the same thing anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The new trailer's pretty out there, Matrix + Dan Brown, so we'll have to see how it ends up.

I got a Blade Runner feel more than The Matrix. I don't get the Dan Brown thing.

An excellent DX3 will redeem the franchise, and allow more spinoffs/sequels for these devs.

Sure, and a poor sequel can lead to the publishers shelving the franchise, which is why Snowblind lost the DX label and it's taken so long for a new entry in the series to appear. But hoping for the best or fearing the worst about potential sequels isn't the same as wishing for no sequels at all so the original can in your mind forever remain a unique snowflake.

Its strongest point was that it was very diligent in implementing a rudimentary stealth/hack/shoot solution matrix on a regular basis, but otherwise it was just your typical shooter at the time

"Apart from the things that differentiate it from typical shooters, it's a typical shooter." Well done.

"Apart from the things that differentiate it from typical shooters, it's a typical shooter." Well done.

Naturally. If I didn't exclude those things, I wouldn't be able to call it a typical shooter! :rolleyes:

I do have to say, Snowblind wasn't a bad game if you were just interested in the shooter aspects...

DX2 was more disapointing because they hyped up the "choice and consequences" aspect of doing jobs for different factions and how they'd react to you after... and then when you played the game there was bugger all reactions to it.. Even if you shafted a faction in 3 missions, they'd still turn round and ask you to do an important mission....

There were elements of DX2 I really enjoyed.. but that let down, and some of the gameplay just sucked it down to an average game. If it hadn't been following in the footsteps of such a good game.. it might have actually been classed a bit better then average. But comparing it to DX made it seem so much worse then it was.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Guest Slinky
There were elements of DX2 I really enjoyed.. but that let down, and some of the gameplay just sucked it down to an average game. If it hadn't been following in the footsteps of such a good game.. it might have actually been classed a bit better then average. But comparing it to DX made it seem so much worse then it was.

I agree. It wasn't a bad game per se, but it's a textbook example what streamlining can do at it's worst.

While Deus Ex 3 is Eidos Montreal's first game, I'm still optimistic. I wonder what kind of music style they choose and who makes it? Music in DX1 was and is fantastic.

What's the worst that can happen, a game that you have no interest in?

Exactly.

This idea that hardcore fans of whatever have that a new sequel or prequel will ruin the original is incredibly childish.

I don't get why so many people out there in internet land seem to be expecting Project Snowblind 2, a Deus Ex themed linear shooter. It's not like the gameplay featured in DX is some sort of unique gem that can't possibly be replicated. Hell, Alpha Protocol seems to be doing something similar.

The impression I get from the devs is that this is a labour of love, so I feel much better about this then I ever did during the development of IW.

QFT

I agree. It wasn't a bad game per se, but it's a textbook example what streamlining can do at it's worst.

While Deus Ex 3 is Eidos Montreal's first game, I'm still optimistic. I wonder what kind of music style they choose and who makes it? Music in DX1 was and is fantastic.

This too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 2 months later...

This is closest to the official thread that I could find.

In case you missed it, there's a new long CG trailer and a bunch of supposedly in-game screenshots(courtesy of NeoGAF):

84kbf.jpg

6dmut.jpg

9x7jv.jpg

35k4s.jpg

2hw7i.jpg

4iky0.jpg

50m4e.jpg

1vkp3.jpg

7j8fo.jpg

Looks pretty nice, but the baroque thing seems really distracting and out of place...

Oh and apparently it's called "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" now, for what it's worth.

Edited by Purkake

It looks smart. It probably won't be a thing like the original, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The vibe I get from the trailer is a mish mash of Gibson, Bladerunner, and GITS, neck frillies and Don Quixotegoats aside. I don't really suppose any of that should be a surprise. The trailer is quite nice, though, and I really liked the theme music they got goin on. Pity about the "streamlining".

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Looks pretty nice, but the baroque thing seems really distracting and out of place...

Is it really that bad? I think it's pretty ace.

The vibe I get from the trailer is a mish mash of Gibson, Bladerunner, and GITS, neck frillies and Don Quixotegoats aside. I don't really suppose any of that should be a surprise. The trailer is quite nice, though, and I really liked the theme music they got goin on. Pity about the "streamlining".

I'm reserving judgement until I see it in action.

Edited by Syraxis

I'm reserving judgement until I see it in action.

I am too, really, however I have a friend whose probably already got his pitchfork out over this.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

This is closest to the official thread that I could find.

In case you missed it, there's a new long CG trailer and a bunch of supposedly in-game screenshots(courtesy of NeoGAF):

84kbf.jpg

6dmut.jpg

9x7jv.jpg

35k4s.jpg

2hw7i.jpg

4iky0.jpg

50m4e.jpg

1vkp3.jpg

7j8fo.jpg

Oh and apparently it's called "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" now, for what it's worth.

It looks fantastic to me! As long as they can keep the open world with numerous choices about how to tackle the situation...

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

You really didn't have to quote the whole thing, you know.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Is it really that bad? I think it's pretty ace.

Might be better when you're playing the game and surrounded by it, but in the trailer it kind of stuck out to me. I'm all for cool art direction, but cyberpunk and baroque seems like a weird combination, but then again Dead Space pulled the gothic thing off pretty well...

@Greasy: I just posted the same trailer like 40 minutes ago.

EDIT: You and your stealth edits...

Edited by Purkake

Good trailer. That's about all. Wonder why they bothered with the nano-aug if that guy can do the stuff he can, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Good trailer. That's about all. Wonder why they bothered with the nano-aug if that guy can do the stuff he can, though.

Part of the subtext in DX1 was the alienation that mechanically augmented agents had to endure since their augmentations reduced them to walking mechanical freaks.

That was a part of the conflict between Paul and JC with Gunther and Anna.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hm, fair enough. Just came to me watching that one man army at work. Assuming that your PC can actually do all the "zomg cool" crap in the trailer anyway

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, fair enough. Just came to me watching that one man army at work.

Gunther was certainly a one-man army as well. He couldn't really blend in to a crowd very easily though. :p

And of course he was a psychopath.

I think baroque and perhaps romanticism work really well with cyberpunk setting because that genre was popular in the 80's. And in the 80's new romatix were so popular that it was one of those things that shaped the era. For me the cyperpunk is always 80's vision of the dystopian future.

Cyberpunk 2020... heh... less then 10 years away. Yup, I'll stick with 80's veriosn of the era :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.