Ubisoft DRM confirmed to boot you from your singleplayer game when the net drops out

Humodour

I look forward to many pages of intelligent discussion and well made arguments.

That is usually my take on piracy/DRM related arguments. Most of them consist of a lot of fundamentalists complaining very loudly about restrictions that actually aren't all that unreasonable, and trying to stretch them into a defense of piracy.

But, IMO, this restriction is pretty boldly unreasonable on it's face, so I'm in the uncomfortable situation of agreeing with them. (With the caveat that no DRM scheme is grounds for piracy-- it's grounds for not playing the game at all.)

Glad I never buy anything Ubisoft.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Unreasonable or not, it always turns out that pirated games take less hassle to set up. No DRM scheme can be called useful if it actually helps the problem its trying to solve. It was an uphill battle from the start, and its getting more ridiculous in each new DRM idea that turns up.

I guess in the long run it will just screw up PC gaming even more.

Its like the publishers would choose to crash and burn rather than to tolerate a certain percentage of "free rides". Its like installing an advanced security system and complex procedures to make sure that the local kids don't sneak into the cinema and see your movie for free.

Not that I care much, perhaps gaming could use a reboot. maybe actually having giants like EA, Activision etc. kick the bucket would break the depressingly stale gaming scene.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

(With the caveat that no DRM scheme is grounds for piracy-- it's grounds for not playing the game at all.)

There is never grounds for piracy. People deserve to sail the high seas unmolested!

Ignoring the ethical issues involved here, one can easily surmise that a DRM measure like this will, statistically, increase illegal download rates and lower revenue, in a similar manner to the way censorship of games in Australia (e.g. L4D2) was confirmed to have increased illegal download rates and lowered revenue relative to the other Western markets of the world (Australians deciding to torrent to get an uncensored version instead of pay for a compromised one).

It's a blindingly stupid move.

In this case I'd just buy the game and then crack it. There really is no point to submit to this bull****.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

In this case I'd just buy the game and then crack it. There really is no point to submit to this bull****.

By buying it you will actually be supporting the whole deal with your money and helping them choke you even more in the future.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

A reminder that while we can discuss this issue and express our content/discontent, actual proclamations about intents to engage in unlawful activity means a smiting is afoot.

Again, my primary concern here is with gamers that won't know this until they buy the game, who will pay for it *and* get screwed over. I'll be checking the local shops to see whether it's labelled prominently.

I plan to jaywalk in 20 minutes. *evil cackle*

No way to influence them, withold your cash and they see that lost sale as due to piracy.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

fail company is fail

also: epic fail.

also: online single player? no thanks.

also: really? someone thought a system to punish the non-pirates was the proper way to handle this? really? it honestly sounds like a joke is being played on regular folks by a bunch of pirates who thought this DRM scheme up and then managed to sell it to ubisoft as a way of mocking their stupidity

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Watch out kids, DRM will also apparently destroy all your punctuation skills, it truly is the devil.

:shifty:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

sigh I was looking forward to this game too, oh well. Maybe I'll reconsider purchasing once a crack has been released.

edit: That does away with this "loss of net connection means dropped from single player."

Edited by Syraxis

Most of them consist of a lot of fundamentalists complaining very loudly about restrictions that actually aren't all that unreasonable, and trying to stretch them into a defense of piracy.

Strawman much? I'm one of those "fundamentalists complaining very loudly about restrictions that actually aren't all that unreasonable" as I believe that any DRM is too much DRM. Sure, I'll buy games that have lesser forms of DRM, such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, but do I like the lesser form of DRM? No, I do not - it is only preferable when compared to the alternative forms that companies are employing. If a game has a DRM scheme I do not like I'll either not buy/play it or see if a friend has a copy I might borrow or play on their PC. Anyways, getting to Ubisoft's DRM, this new plan is just asinine and will, hopefully, die quickly.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since PoOR2. I probably will not buy these games as well.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The last Ubisoft game I bought was also the last one that mattered: Beyond Good and Evil

Btw, My horse for a custom controll option.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Too onerous for me. My wifi is usually pretty stable, but that's simply not the point. There is no way I'm going to buy a single-player game that requires me to be online the entire time I play it, and will crash my game if it goes down.

I've been pretty pragmatic about the need for DRM's, but this one is well over the line even for me.

Too onerous for me. My wifi is usually pretty stable, but that's simply not the point. There is no way I'm going to buy a single-player game that requires me to be online the entire time I play it, and will crash my game if it goes down.

I've been pretty pragmatic about the need for DRM's, but this one is well over the line even for me.

Second time we agree this week. :shifty: *looks around in case universe cracks open*

logosig2.jpg

Second time we agree this week. :shifty: *looks around in case universe cracks open*

:shifty:

Even if I wasn't against this on principle, my connection isn't nearly stable enough for this. It routinely drops below dial up speeds and stays that way until I power cycle the router. Tried replacing the router, modem and even had the line coming into the house replaced last year. Nothing stops it. It's something I put up with for multiplayer, but no way am I doing the same thing for a single player game.