Civilization V

Starwars

Bloody hell, about time for hexes!

Hopefully they haven't thinned the amount of civilizations or other content to make up for the time lost to developing and programming a hex-based system though. I' at least like the nice 18(21?) that we had at the beginning of the Civ IV line. And most of the modes from the two expansions to play with. I loved the one where you could change your civ mid-game and retake your now-corpulent and seething empire with a new civ. And the Crossroads of the world -scenario of course.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yay. Can't wait for some good ol' Spearmen vs Panzer action.

12704_spearvstank.gif

IIRC, that happened to me back in Civilization I. The enemy had a spearman fortified in a town, i on the other hand, had feckin' NUKE.

The spearman won.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ah, Civilization and it's massive fortification boni.

You know which civ is still the most hated in Beyond the Sword circles? That's right, the freaking Koreans. Protective and Financial is a recipe for disaster the second they get to archers. Then it's turtling time.

And I freaking hate the turtling time.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

You know which civ is still the most hated in Beyond the Sword circles? That's right, the freaking Koreans. Protective and Financial is a recipe for disaster the second they get to archers. Then it's turtling time.

Really? Protective makes them harder than most to blitz, but I don't remember Wang's unit probability as being all that high (which is a better indicator of what a military pain an AI civ is likely to be), and he tends not to expand very quickly (via settlers or via invasions). Protective + a not-huge standing army can still be defeated; just bring a few more siege engines. In my experience, Korea never seems to grab enough territory to emerge as a power in the mid-late game. And the AI is one of the more reasonable ones-- get them to "Pleased" and you know you're safe from attack. It's relatively easy to beat Wang in the land grab, contain him, get him happy with you, and spend the whole game peacefully trading with him while you wail on your mutual enemies.

The truly fearsome leaders at higher difficulty levels are the ones who tend to jump out in the early expansion race, and follow that up by building lots of units and throwing their weight around diplomatically-- Catherine, Gilgamesh, Suryavawhatever, Zara Yacob, and sometimes Shaka come to mind.

Edit: Yes, I realize that this post includes the phrases "Wang's unit" and "beat Wang," so there's no need to bother pointing that out.

Edited by Enoch

Great news, Civilisation has been a good franchise that reasonably improved (or, at least, changed) the game each step and still has potential to be a whole lot greater. Each iteration, it's the lack of complexity on the 'ruler' front (i.e. feeling that you're a Sim City manager rather than a real ruler of a civilisation, due to any lack of history keeping, milestones or whatnot) and the terrible combat balance that gets me, but I hope the latter at least is finally worked out here.

Hexagons are a great move, though the terrain map makes it look as if the scale of the maps remains the same - pity, all the harder to do interesting real world maps.

Really? Protective makes them harder than most to blitz, but I don't remember Wang's unit probability as being all that high (which is a better indicator of what a military pain an AI civ is likely to be), and he tends not to expand very quickly (via settlers or via invasions). Protective + a not-huge standing army can still be defeated; just bring a few more siege engines. In my experience, Korea never seems to grab enough territory to emerge as a power in the mid-late game. And the AI is one of the more reasonable ones-- get them to "Pleased" and you know you're safe from attack. It's relatively easy to beat Wang in the land grab, contain him, get him happy with you, and spend the whole game peacefully trading with him while you wail on your mutual enemies.

The truly fearsome leaders at higher difficulty levels are the ones who tend to jump out in the early expansion race, and follow that up by building lots of units and throwing their weight around diplomatically-- Catherine, Gilgamesh, Suryavawhatever, Zara Yacob, and sometimes Shaka come to mind.

Edit: Yes, I realize that this post includes the phrases "Wang's unit" and "beat Wang," so there's no need to bother pointing that out.

Ah, but that's just it! The horrible trinity of Gilgamesh, Shaka Zulu and Cathy(I never seem to run to Ethiopians and can't say anything about Suryaman) are the ones you absolutely have to prepare for. After blitzing Montezuma or dropping your strongest warmongering ally(bless shared religions) into his lap, those three are the ones that always keep you on your toes. That's where Wang is at his trickiest, because he almost always can secure a location under your nose, while you are too busy tackling the other civs, which you can't really budge until Medieval and by that time he often has dozens upon dozens of kataparuto. I absolutely loathe him, much more than the Mongolian leaders, who always seem to target my civ.

Then again, hey, I'm a fairly casual civonite! Undoubtedly there's a wealth of pain in the ass on the loftier difficulty levels. If I just had the time...

kirottu said:

i played civ 4 quite a bit. not a huge fan of the genre, but i probably sunk about 60+ hours into civ 4 and will happily plunk down some cash for part 5, assuming its still a quality game and not pootown

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Quote:

- Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.

- Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.

- Inspired by Panzer General.

- Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.

- Better diplomatic AI.

- More diplomatic options between players.

- Less "cheating" AI.

- Religion is not a factor anymore.

- Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)

- City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.

- Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".

- About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.

- Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.

- Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".

- DirectX 11 support.

- Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=...mp;postcount=23

Good to see apolyton going strong. I'm really worried about one feature though: that you can't stack units and such. Normally I'd be happy, but look at the size of those hexes in the screens. They're massive! They're as big as, if not bigger than, Civ4 ones in comparison to the terrain. Essentially now you have one group of archers occupying an entire mountain, 2 units of catapults enough to blockade a narrow crossing. I'd have wanted nothing more than those hexes to be half as small, allowing for some real sense of scale and some real armies. As it is, you're gonna have a small platoon of hoplites cover 500 square kilometres or soemthing.

Sounds like more steady evolution, otherwise.

Built in webbrowser is just evil. It means I will never stop playing Civ 5. Ever.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I want to see the return of the thrown room. I demand gifts from my subjects. I also want SMAC2.

I want that one of the gifts from my subjects is SMAC2, so I can play SMAC2 while playing Civilization V.

Yo dawg.

Or, you know, not market the game.

It was a nice trailer, actually. Can't have been outrageously expensive either.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been geeked about Civ since Civ 2, to be honest. To me Civ 3 was oversimplified and Civ4 was a step back in the right direction but the AI cheating was still way too obvious. That said, I'm a sucker for my Grand Strategy. So I will "always" line up for anything with Civilization, Europa Universalis, Galactic Civilizations, or Alpha Centauri in the title.

I haven't been geeked about Civ since Civ 2, to be honest. To me Civ 3 was oversimplified and Civ4 was a step back in the right direction but the AI cheating was still way too obvious. That said, I'm a sucker for my Grand Strategy. So I will "always" line up for anything with Civilization, Europa Universalis, Galactic Civilizations, or Alpha Centauri in the title.

The AI only cheats if your difficulty is above the 2/3 level or so. Its only the last handful of top levels it cheats. The low and mid levels it follows the same ruleset as the player.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'm fairly surprised by this news because Civ 4 still looks great and isn't what I would call dated. I would think they would try to update something else.

But financially I get it.

On max the graphics still look pretty dated if you ask me. Deff time for a overhaul if for nothing else that.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Yay. Can't wait for some good ol' Spearmen vs Panzer action.

12704_spearvstank.gif

IIRC, that happened to me back in Civilization I. The enemy had a spearman fortified in a town, i on the other hand, had feckin' NUKE.

The spearman won.

I read a interview when civ4 came out they changed the combat formula to specificly reduce this issue.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente