Civilization V

Starwars

Due to a lucky streak with scouting ancient ruins, I ended up having a single unit of mechanized infantry in 900 BC. Needless to say, the game didn't last very long after that.

Do you people think this should count as a bug?

On which difficulty?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Anyone have any success extorting people you're beating into the ground? My old game, whenever Siam declared war on me, I'd destroy his army and start taking his cities. He'd ask for peace shortly after I destroy his army, but I couldn't get him to give anything for it without him turning around and demanding more from me than I asked from him. I remember using that tactic in IV.

I wanted to punish that douche for his warmongering. I simply couldn't let him get away with it. But instead everyone else hated me as a warmonger.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've had enemies offering me half of their remaining empires of even all their remaining cities minus the capital with their peace offers. I don't usually ask, so I don't know about that. Sometimes I refuse those offers. Too much happiness hit. The happiness system is probably the biggest stumbling block for old civ players. It's global, so it could cripple you completely. You can't just adjust sliders to fix it, so you have to keep an eye on it. After happiness it's usually economy, though that's easier. All those happiness buildings cost money to maintain.

I think this civ might have the best balance between expanding empires and small, well built empires. Not sure if both are equally viable yet, but at least there's lots of mechanisms to support the smaller guy.

I'm not sure I gather the point of garrisoning a unit in a city. It didn't ever seem to really effect the outcome of combat. All it did was protect that unit from taking damage, while not allowing it to attack.

And heck, if you lost the city it was garrisoned in, the unit just poofs.

It does increase the city's defense stat a little, but usually the unit can be much more useful when it's out of the city fighting. The real reason to put units in cities is to take advantage of the 3 HP/turn healing. When defending, you can also put your artillery there if you are afraid that it might get flanked. It packs more punch than the city's ranged attack.

SODOFF Steam group.

I'm not sure I gather the point of garrisoning a unit in a city. It didn't ever seem to really effect the outcome of combat. All it did was protect that unit from taking damage, while not allowing it to attack.

And heck, if you lost the city it was garrisoned in, the unit just poofs.

It does increase the city's defense stat a little, but usually the unit can be much more useful when it's out of the city fighting. The real reason to put units in cities is to take advantage of the 3 HP/turn healing. When defending, you can also put your artillery there if you are afraid that it might get flanked. It packs more punch than the city's ranged attack.

Actually it has a tendancy to snap any incoming offensive over it's knee as they trickle into your territory.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

See, I could never get Siam to capitulate. I refused him like four times the first war. Or was it the second? Bugger attacked me at least three times, I know that.

I do remember one time I asked him for 30 gold per turn. He countered by letting me keep 30 gold per turn, but only if I paid him 11 gold per turn. Are you stupid, Siam? Though every other time his counteroffer was to demand dyes, silk, and horses, plus 1000 gold from me. But I felt that taking his port cities was a better deal.

I think my next game will be a militaristic or fascist Japanese. That should be fun.

Edited by Tale

Ugh, annoying bug where I can't declare war, even though the peace treaty has long since ended.

That douche Napoleon is taking all my city states, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Don't know how far along in the game you are, but nukes work to end this annoying bug. I had the same thing happen to me so I threw everything I had into research in order to tech up to nukes as fast as I could.

Ugh, annoying bug where I can't declare war, even though the peace treaty has long since ended.

That douche Napoleon is taking all my city states, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Don't know how far along in the game you are, but nukes work to end this annoying bug. I had the same thing happen to me so I threw everything I had into research in order to tech up to nukes as fast as I could.

Was going for culture so research was lagging a bit behind. With 3 cultural city states gone my cultural victory seems to be out of reach now. And Napoleon has more points because of all those cities he took. I've beaten him to pulp before when he tried invading my lands, I could easily take some of his cities, if only I could attack him. :lol:

Do not F with Japan. Note: I am Japan.

With Bushido and Samurai plus Honor civics, you've got it made up until muskets. For someone to kill your unit, they have to coordinate something like 5 other guys on it. If those 5 aren't ranged, they're going to lose 4.5.

I declared early war on Babylon, he didn't appreciate it, but capitulated early. I destroyed a city-state to gain the favor of a nearby city-state and get a city on an easily defensible peninsula. I teamed up with Russia and America to fight England, kicked Englands butt for a few rounds (did I mention I now own London? lol), and had England capitulate tons to me. A few turns later, America, Russia, and Germany all declare on me, the first two not even having finished their war with England. I get a new American city, destroy Germany's army (his war declaration even acknowledged that he was making a suicidal assault), take a Russian, and am about to take another Russian before it's capitulation city over here.

Babylon and Arabia are encroaching on my turf. America thankfully ends up in war with Arabia, taking it's major cities, so I'm not going to bother with that guy. But Babylon... Babylon. I regret not wiping you out at the beginning.

I've made a defense pact with Egypt, the second strongest nation at half my score. He's on another continent with only one other major civ, so I'm not worried there.

But Babylon. I've save scummed a little, so I know you're 5 turns from being a total bleep. And I will wipe you out. I've allied with 5 city states just for the heck of it. And I might see about another defense pact. You'll have more war coming you way than cities.

Edited by Tale

Was going for culture so research was lagging a bit behind. With 3 cultural city states gone my cultural victory seems to be out of reach now. And Napoleon has more points because of all those cities he took. I've beaten him to pulp before when he tried invading my lands, I could easily take some of his cities, if only I could attack him. :sorcerer:

More cities will ultimately slow your progress towards a cultural victory though. I think I read somewhere that the optimal number of cities for cultural victory is actually 4.

Puppet states don't make culture gains harder, FYI. You get like a 25% penalty to, I think, policy cost per city. But puppet states don't contribute to that.

Apparently a trick to a fast culture victory is to only have culture based tech so that your puppet states can only build culture buildings.

I wasn't correcting you, I was giving detail.

I don't know if it's just because I am a big panzer general fan, but is anyone else finding warfare laughably easy? I played a marathon game right off and only lost two units the entire game. Early game is even easier. One archer and two warriors and I can take any early city. NOr does this hurt my domestic economy, since I capture workers etc from my victims.

I had a hard time with happiness controlling everything, but now I'm used to it I like the system. It rewards strategic planning, and denigrates spreadsheet accounting skills which sliders etc fostered.

My principal concerns are with the sloppiness of the interface:

- 'Ghost' images of dead units linger

- I can't name my units any more, which makes bugger all sense since I only have a handful compared with Civ IV.

- Pathfinding leaves automated units wandering across forbidden territory

I can only hope things like this are fixed in future updates.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Warfare is, indeed, laughably easy.

Here's how to win the game: Select "Pangea" map. Open tech tree, and click on "Horseback Riding." Settle a city next to a horse resource. Build 4 horsemen. Win.

- I can't name my units any more, which makes bugger all sense since I only have a handful compared with Civ IV.

You can actually rename units I believe. When you click on a unit, you get the little unit card thing in the bottom right corner. Somewhere on that it says "Edit". Click that and you should be able to change the name of the unit.

I take back what I said earlier. As Japan you're not set up until Musketmen. You're set up until Riflemen. Samurai are better than the unit that follows them, if also more expensive.