Dragon Age discussion

Gorth

"the kind of nonsense in FR where the Red Wizards of Thay are all practically evil by default"

Actually, it makes perfect sense. People don't become Red Wizards by accident. By the time one becomes a Red Wizard, they'd likely have to commit tons of evil acts. Not just anyone is elevated to the ranks of RW in Thay, and the powerbrokers certaionly don't want goody goodies ruining their fun. It's the same to be said for mobsters. btw, Just ebcause the Red Wizards are evil doesn't mean all of Thay is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I see that everyone except for Oner (IIRC), DeathDealer and me liked Dragon Age.
My position: not a bad game per se, but too many flaws to honestly call it good.

For me it's boring*, and didn't found anything in it that would put it in "a special spot in my heart".

*Interestingly, I found the origins the biggest turn off from a second playthrough. After a unique beginning you get to the boring-as-hell Corcari Wilds and realize "wait...from here on everything is the same...and the origin won't matter anyway...and boring combat".

Yes, I know that every game is the same each playthrough, but the others don't have different beginnings. Sameness more glaring this way.

So... you are punishing DA for one of the features that is actually different and better than other games because later on all character share the same areas? Wow. That's impressively Codexian in nature.

P.S. The preview above seems very nice. Let's hope it works outs.

And I was pretty clear that this is my opinion, based on how I feel, even properly explained to understand, nowhere saying that this is a factapplied to every human being, or that origins arean inherently bad thing.

But to put it in Vologic context:

a unique beginning

Nuff said.

I see that everyone except for Oner (IIRC), DeathDealer and me liked Dragon Age.
My position: not a bad game per se, but too many flaws to honestly call it good.

Well that's my position and (presumably) DD's as well. It would be amusing to actually claim that DA is a bad game when you know the competition (eg. Two Worlds, Oblivion etc.).

Actually, it makes perfect sense. People don't become Red Wizards by accident. By the time one becomes a Red Wizard, they'd likely have to commit tons of evil acts. Not just anyone is elevated to the ranks of RW in Thay, and the powerbrokers certaionly don't want goody goodies ruining their fun. It's the same to be said for mobsters. btw, Just ebcause the Red Wizards are evil doesn't mean all of Thay is.

Your worldview where everyone fits into two neat categories is disturbing. Especially ones as questionable as good and evil.

That kind of fairy tale morality is the reason games, DnD, Forgotten Realms etc. are immature. Its time games moved away from that. That includes Bioware's games.

On that note I'm genuinely curious how Obsidian will handle real world characters in Alpha Protocol.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Nepenthe, what's your problem?

A lot.

Start with your childhood, I'm listening :shifty:

At least mine's already over. ;)

It would be over if you stopped playing games and discussing them on forums. As it is - you're not letting it go. ;)

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I harassed Mary about her lawful evil qunari, and this is what she said.

The Qunari are pretty much a negative utopia. Their society has no poverty, virtually no crime, free education, and a twisted sort of equality. They also have no concept of the rights or freedoms of the individual. The good of their society as a whole is their only consideration.

From Sten's perspective, his personal feelings, whether they are of guilt, compassion, or mercy, don't matter. Dwelling on one's personal feelings is a selfish indulgence. He has them, he just doesn't see any reason to share them, for the most part. There's a reason why he begins his explanation for murdering the farmers with the slaughter of his men and not with the loss of his sword, and why it is his brothers he's dreaming about in the Fade, and not Asala.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I harassed Mary about her lawful evil qunari, and this is what she said.

The Qunari are pretty much a negative utopia. Their society has no poverty, virtually no crime, free education, and a twisted sort of equality. They also have no concept of the rights or freedoms of the individual. The good of their society as a whole is their only consideration.

From Sten's perspective, his personal feelings, whether they are of guilt, compassion, or mercy, don't matter. Dwelling on one's personal feelings is a selfish indulgence. He has them, he just doesn't see any reason to share them, for the most part. There's a reason why he begins his explanation for murdering the farmers with the slaughter of his men and not with the loss of his sword, and why it is his brothers he's dreaming about in the Fade, and not Asala.

Sounds like fascism (The Italian 1922 ideology version, not the contemporary derogatory use of the word).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Your worldview where everyone fits into two neat categories is disturbing. Especially ones as questionable as good and evil."

Don't be hypocritical as you are currently seeing things in black and white. There are plenty of things I seein shades of gray however soemtimes things ar eback and white.

Unless youa re gonna claim something like rape should be seen in gray? I sure hope. Or the holocaust.

If you don't see those things as evil then your worldview is rather disturbing.

We were discussing Red Wiards of Thay. They are evil. There is no getting around it. Youi don't get to be a Red Wizard by accident or by being a nice guy. Not gonna happen.

"That kind of fairy tale morality is the reason games, DnD, Forgotten Realms etc. are immature. Its time games moved away from that. That includes Bioware's games."

Says the guy who champions a stupid mouse in a BIO game - the most black and whitegame series of all BIO RPGs. LMAO

Is it just me, or does this scenario mimic quite closely the conquest and repair of Crossroads Keep in NWN2? My deja vu sense is tingling. :shifty:

I told you already that Dragon Age inspired itself heavily of the best features of NWN 2 ;)

Sounds like fascism (The Italian 1922 ideology version, not the contemporary derogatory use of the word).

More like Japanese's imperialism during World War 2, no? Not that the two aren't evil, mind you.

The main difference with the Qunari might be that they don't consider themselves a master race by virtue of genetics, and all races are welcome and equal before the Qun. This not being mere words but a truth.

Although the "free education" part reminds of Cuba too, somehow I heard its a dictatorship where even the poorer people can be quite cultured ;)

Edited by Sannom

Well that's my position and (presumably) DD's as well. It would be amusing to actually claim that DA is a bad game when you know the competition (eg. Two Worlds, Oblivion etc.).

Right.

Lose the horrible grinding and I would call it a good game. Lose the everlasting safe-playing what Bio always does and I might call it a great game.

Although the "free education" part reminds of Cuba too, somehow I heard its a dictatorship where even the poorer people can be quite cultured :biggrin:

Alas, its true but it has degraded since 2003. Yet they still where more advanced than the States, shame on them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dunno. Morrigan comes across as way too emo in that comic. Fun to skim, but that would have my favorite character if that scene was actually included in the game. It was unneeded so I'm thankful it got cut.

Supposedly Orsen Scott Card is making a DA comic.

Will it be canon?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif