Final Fantasy XIII becomes best selling PS3 game ever in Japan

Mamoulian War

Why *ofcourse* they have to release the damn thing while i happen to attend a conferance in Germany. I only have 1-2 international conferances per year, but they have to release it on the very day that i have no access to my PS3.

Typical.

LOL! What sort of conference?

Don't worry, it's worth the wait. :thumbsup:

coexistreflection.gif

As a PS3 owner, lemme just say that the 360 sucks! lol

As for FFXIII, can anyone tell me when will the NA version be available?

The 360 does suck. I own one and I just sent mine back to Microsoft for repair. This is my 3rd RROD.

I got my PS3 at launch and it hasn't failed me yet.

The NA version of FFXIII will be released in early March.

JRPGs would be one genre that I wouldn't miss at all. But Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests will be made forever so I guess JRPGs are here to stay. Developers and writers in the west get at lot of heat because they use same tired cliches and combat mechanics but in reality they have evolved way more then JRPGs. I read article about 5 years ago how japanise gamers not only wanted the same combat mechanics in every game, they also wanted the same story. Us old skool CRPG players in here might wish some type of turn based combat would still be in modern games but even then we'd want to see new stories. I guess finally japanise got tired or ain't big enough market for niche type of products that cost millions to make. Handheld devices are probably best option (same goes for all turn based CRPGs).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

JRPGs would be one genre that I wouldn't miss at all. But Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests will be made forever so I guess JRPGs are here to stay. Developers and writers in the west get at lot of heat because they use same tired cliches and combat mechanics but in reality they have evolved way more then JRPGs. I read article about 5 years ago how japanise gamers not only wanted the same combat mechanics in every game, they also wanted the same story. Us old skool CRPG players in here might wish some type of turn based combat would still be in modern games but even then we'd want to see new stories. I guess finally japanise got tired or ain't big enough market for niche type of products that cost millions to make. Handheld devices are probably best option (same goes for all turn based CRPGs).

and still JRPGs sell in total more units than western RPGs on global market...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well put. A lot love for Bioware has turned into apathy or hate because they have a habit of telling the same story over and over again.

The 360 does suck. I own one and I just sent mine back to Microsoft for repair. This is my 3rd RROD.

It's an American product. No wonder it always breaks.

Americans just can't build stuff.

I just got my PS3, and it's just so much more silent than my 360, even with the fan at maximum.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

that's all i had to read after i seen the spot...

LOL dumbass "uncharted 2" was nominated the game of the year by ign becuase it has long and awsome cut-scenes

LMFAO

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Weak. There are much better reasons to hate Final Fantasy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well put. A lot love for Bioware has turned into apathy or hate because they have a habit of telling the same story over and over again.

I don't know. Americans don't mind it in movies, books and music, do they.

As an owner of both consoles, let me tell you that each has its own merits.

Mmh, true. I have both consoles as well, but for some reason I have a deep aversion towards the x360 (which I bought later, and really only to play Mass Effect), which I can't fully explain. I have one of the anti-RROD Jaspers, which apparently in addition to lower power consumption were also optimised for maximum fan power. That thing is a screamer, even with the games on the drive. The PS3 is hardly silent, but both the fan and drive noise are subjectively unnoticeable to me.

Also the way the menus and everything else on the PS3 side work it somehow manages to seem more like a quality home theatre product than a gaudy games console on the appearance level. The x360 is the opposite, and I still get lost in the menus and the forced adverts getting rammed down my throat whenever I do something on that side.

This puts me in the unfortunate position were I have to pick multiplatform games for the console on which they generally work worse (the ps3), just because relatively minor subjective things make me like using it more :(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Why *ofcourse* they have to release the damn thing while i happen to attend a conferance in Germany. I only have 1-2 international conferances per year, but they have to release it on the very day that i have no access to my PS3.

Typical.

LOL! What sort of conference?

Don't worry, it's worth the wait. :lol:

I hope that it will be worth the wait. I loved FFX, while i have an irrational hatred towards FFXII. It's been 8 years since i have played a good Final Fantasy-game, goddammit! :p

As for the conference, I work for an international engineering firm and my job is to handle administrative tasks surrounding our engineering tools; such as collaborative project management, development and licensing (some coding as well, if some of our customers want their projects to become custom-designed for them). Each year, we are invited to attend the conferences that the distributors hold for their clients. It just happened to be in Munich this year for this engineering tool.

One of us will have to go to Knoxville in the US in middle of summer for a similar one. Good luck with humidity, i say.

Back to topic: The link to Gamasutra can be compared to modern day Hollywood as well. For example, all these superhero-movies, Keanu Reeves starring in the upcoming live-action version of the Cowboy Bebop-anime, and finally Steven Spielberg doing a live-action adaption of one of the most important movies of any medium: Ghost in the Shell (which will suck donkeyballs ofcourse).

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I love how that's not even close to the huge north american releases.

how many people own Xbox 360 in USA, and how many own PS3 in Japan... If you have 20 millions users it is logical, that you get more sales, isn't it?

in Japan every 4th owner of PS3 purchased FFXIII, can you show me at least one game in the USA, that have so big share???

As a counterpoint, a console with a larger user base also probably has a user base with a greater disparity of game interests.

Besides, is it any surprise that a Final Fantasy game is selling like hot cakes for a PlayStation system? In Japan no less.

Good for the game and good for Square/Enix, but this is what I'd expect from the sales. Especially given that, since Final Fantasy VII, there's no shortage of people that buy Playstations for Square games.

As a reference point, the game seems to be roughly as fast of a mover as Final Fantasy 7 was, maybe a little faster. November 1996 had 4.2 million PSX's in Japan, and March 1997 had 6.5 million (source). So somewhere between those two numbers is the installed base when FF7 was released on January 31, 1997. I don't know how much it sold on the first day, but according to IGN/Wikipedia, it sold 2.3 million copies within the first 3 days.

As for its share, it may have taken more than 1 day, but a game like Modern Warfare 2 has fantastic coverage throughout the installed base of XBOX 360s. I wouldn't be surprised if, after the dust settles, a larger percentage of 360 owners own MW2 than PS3 owners own FF13. Not surprisingly: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/02/final-fa...lunge-in-japan/

A lot of the people that want the game bought it on day one. This seems to be par for the course in Japan. Final Fantasy X also had huge sales right at release, and was the first to hit 2 million and 4 million on the PS2. FFXIII is a huge success, no doubt about it. But is it really doing anything it wasn't expected to do?