Dragon Age Discussion

CoM_Solaufein

i've found alistair to be the biggest gift whore, he gives big points for just about anything i give him

morrigan i find hard to please with gifts. weird.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I swapped Leliana for Wynne too. I needed a healer since I'm running three warriors, and you are right about the locked stuff.

What I did was use the respec mod for morg and made her into a heal/combat mage. Shes awsome right now and makes wynne moot.

On a side note, I also used the mod to give every char in your group 25 tactical slots. This, mostly, fixes all the issues I had with the combat. If they did this to start with I wouldn't have had much megative things to say about the combat. Of course the AI still not firing from time to time is still a issue/bug but at least I don't have to hand hold every char every 10 secs in combat. I can macromanage a battle not micromanage it just like I want it.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Finished the game with my mage. Good stuff. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't, below:

Let's start with the bad bit, I found it ridiculous that they shoe-horned in YOU MUST DIE TO SAVE THE WORLD bullcrap right at the end, it's like trying to be Fallout 3. Who are you kidding? It's such an artificial way to insert drama and epic into the story. And of coooourse Riordan dies in a cutscene so he can't sacrifice himself. You couldn't have made it an incredibly difficult gameplay route to have him live. The option to have Morrigan bear your child (which, apparently, is conceived within 12 hours) then absorb the taint is a sufficiently alluring option, but then they had to have you talk to Alistair about HIM doing it - which conjures up all sorts of cringy dialogue like 'magical sex rite'.

The final sequence itself was fine, kind of felt like the MOTB ending where you assault the city, except where MOTB ends with the fantastic Kelemvor dialogue, this ends with fighitng a big dragon. Which is fine, too. At level 20 on Hard I found the archdemon pretty easy with nobody dying, half because you can summon all those friends to help you. It felt big and exciting though, so that's what counts. It would have been clever to have the archdemon cast spells or use his taint connection to have the PC disabled with a special ability or so, though.

The ending slides (fallout-y, trend nowadays huh? Well that's good) do seem a bit bugged, I was pissed with the stupid gimmick so had Alistair die, but apparently my earlier decision to have Alistair marry Anora for the throne stands. Most of the other slides were really bland as well; I took the 'Goodish' route for most of them and most of the slides as a result are "everything is okay now and everyone is happy." Sort of misses the point eh?

Anyhow, great game, with failings we knew about from the start (bit too serious for its own good, bit too try-hard mature sometimes, bit too generic sometimes) but still damn fun. Starting a new one with a rogue now. ;(

Regarding your first paragraph:

You can also convince the other Grey Warden that you're with to take the fall. This seemed particularly fitting if you picked Loghain after the Landsmeet. Also, I don't recall having any discussion with Alistair about a "magical sex rite." I imagine that only comes up if you pick the appropriate dialogue options? Of course, Morrigan was in love with me so that might have made things different

Aren't you referring to Riordan, the Grey Warden you rescue from Howe's dungeons? He does offer to take the fall, but then in a cutscene jumps on the dragon, fights it, falls off and dies. Ah, I suppose if I had let Loghain live, I could have got him to do it. That does sound a bit better then, though I don't see why the whole contrived situation had to be written up in the first place.

As for Morrigan, I put her ratings up, then I picked the wrong option and actually made it a romance, then cut it off at the first opportunity. In any case, when you refuse to sleep with her she says Alistair could do it, as he is also a Grey Warden. I decided to say OK and go talk to him just to see, and in a few dialogue optiosn he basically says "What, you want me to go through with this crazy magical sex rite?"

I'm not opposed to either the concept of protagonist sacrifice or 'unseemly' solutions such as Morrigan's, but the delivery just felt a bit... excessive. i.e. "YOU MUST DIE" and "YOU MUST SEX IT UP".

I haven't done it myself, but I bet you could convince Alistair to take the fall. Maybe not.

Within the context of the story though, I do feel it's consistent. It also explains Duncan's questionable recruitment strategies.

Edited by alanschu

I did get Alistair to take the fall, yes. ;(

I don't disagree at all with your last point, it does make sense in the game and with the lore. I just disliked its contrivance as a plot point.

Anyway, it's not a massive deal, since unlike Fallout 3, there are sensible reasons and alternative solutions.

Seems to me you just want an 'easy' solution. The point is no choice comes with no consequences. I'd use SPOILER, SPOILER, and SPOILER to make my point but that's been disallowed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What makes you think that about Alistair and Morrigan? I didn't think we find out anything about Alistair's

mother

Seems to me you just want an 'easy' solution. The point is no choice comes with no consequences. I'd use SPOILER, SPOILER, and SPOILER to make my point but that's been disallowed.

lol

I certainly never got that impression.

What makes you think that about Alistair and Morrigan? I didn't think we find out anything about Alistair's

mother

I'm guessing no one read the prequel novels.

Maric spent the night with Flemeth

Of course I could be wrong, it might of been entirely innocent.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I certainly never got that impression.

mother

I'm guessing no one read the prequel novels.

Maric spent the night with Flemeth

Of course I could be wrong, it might of been entirely innocent.

Even if that is so, iirc Morrigan is not a daughter by blood to Flemeth according to convos

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

I haven't unlocked any other Mage specializations yet (altough I suspect I could get Shapeshifter off Morry and the Healing specialty off Wynne if I tried), but I'm in no particular hurry to make a decision there.

You can't get Spirit Healer from Wynne. If you get to know her, and take her with you on occation, you'll figure out why it's not something she could teach.

Would've made more sense than learning it from a book. Which BTW I didn't need, 'cause somehow it got unlocked. Or maybe I did buy it before. I shouldn't play after midnight.

The scene with Leliana after the Dalish section is one of my favorites.
I'm dumbfounded why you can't ask her to sing it again.

Huh? I just wrapped up the main Dalish-area quest with her in my group, and there was no singing.

Anyone who read the prequel novels need to slap themselves right now.

I haven't read any of the spoilery stuff above, but I wholeheartedly endorse this point.

I read it. It wasn't all that bad, Gaider did a good job with it. I'm a fan of his games so I saw no reason not to support his literary career.

But I got no impression from the book that Maric slept with Flemeth. There was some sort of exchange, Maric was pretty much invincible after meeting Flemeth. But it wasn't very clear what she gained. It was a rather vague section.

Huh? I just wrapped up the main Dalish-area quest with her in my group, and there was no singing.

I think you need high approval. I had her at +100 so i don't know how high it must be.

1.13 killed off Ja2.