My Dragon Age mini-rewiew

TheHarlequin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't complaining about having to micromanage your party in DA akin to complaining about micromanaging your team in JA, or whatever? It's like some people want to go through the game without playing the game.

Assuming that every game's micromanagement plays exactly the same, yes.

So far my take:

Playing as a female elf mage. Only as far as I am still in the tower and I am now taking on the Jowen quest.

Graphics are too cartoonish and not realistic for my tastes. Controls are sloppy. No first person view, can't swivel around with the mouse like you can in a lot of games unless you have a far away top down view. Have to use the A and D keys instead if you are using the over the shoulder view. No crouching or jumping in this game, how archaic can you get? That is standard in most recent games. The controls are so far ruining the fun factor.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

So far my take:

Playing as a female elf mage. Only as far as I am still in the tower and I am now taking on the Jowen quest.

Graphics are too cartoonish and not realistic for my tastes. Controls are sloppy. No first person view, can't swivel around with the mouse like you can in a lot of games unless you have a far away top down view. Have to use the A and D keys instead if you are using the over the shoulder view. No crouching or jumping in this game, how archaic can you get? That is standard in most recent games. The controls are so far ruining the fun factor.

no crouching or jumping?

is this post a joke?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

you cant jump or crouch in diablo (ie action rpgs) either (well usually)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

you cant jump or crouch in diablo either (well usually)

You can in Fallout 3...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't complaining about having to micromanage your party in DA akin to complaining about micromanaging your team in JA, or whatever? It's like some people want to go through the game without playing the game.

Very narrow view you have of my comments. Akin to Vols in fact. *shugs* to each their own.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

You can in Fallout 3...

?

Edited by entrerix

You can in Fallout 3...

?

fallout 3 is neither an rpg like dragon age or baldurs gate, nor an action rpg like diablo or torchlight... its more like a shooter rpg

Fallout3 is a CRPG just as DA is a CRPG. They fall under that same umbrella. Now when you drill down are they different subgeneres? Yes. But they are both CRPGs and should beable to compair the two as they have more similar CRPG aspects then not.

Lets also clarify a CRPG is a computer role playing game. Do they both qualify as such, a RPG on a PC platform? You are able to play the role of the main PC and play said role? Your actions effect the world? A stat or/and skill based mechanic? Able to interact with NPCs? All Yes.

Now if you want to get picky there have been a few 3rd person CRPGs (action or otherwise) you could jump or/and crouch. Fallout:Tactics comes to mind.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

im sorry but comparing fallout 3 to dragon age so far as mechanics goes just seems ridiculous to me, its like comparing madden to tony hawk because they are both sports games.

Why anybody would expect a game that was promoted as being the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate would have ducking, jumping, and first person perspectives is beyond me.

EDIT: I have never seen Fallout: Tactics considered an RPG before.

Edited by alanschu

"Fallout3 is a CRPG just as DA is a CRPG."

No. No, it isn't. It's an Action RPG. There's nothing wrong with that; but it's not the same. The goals of both are different.

"I have never seen Fallout: Tactics considered an RPG before."

Yeah, no doubt. Espicially since its genre is basically right in its name.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Fallout3 is a CRPG just as DA is a CRPG."

No. No, it isn't. It's an Action RPG. There's nothing wrong with that; but it's not the same. The goals of both are different.

"I have never seen Fallout: Tactics considered an RPG before."

Yeah, no doubt. Espicially since its genre is basically right in its name.

So one cant role play/build their main char (in the vision they.. well envision) in FO:T then? Does FO:T has less RPG interactions the same way IWD does? Yes. Does that remove it from the CRPG umbrella? Not in my view. Not saying its as deep as say FO3 or NWN2 or DA but it still qualifies as a CRPG. You seem to be hung up on these labels such as 'action this' or 'role play that' or whatever fits your fancy this week. They all have CRPG elements just some more deep then others. But IWD just like FO:T had a story and aspects to RP within the game world. More accurate would be to call IWD and FO:T CRPG-lite perhaps but still a CRPG and under said umbrella.

You are arguing on symantics in essence.

That point aside, FO3 is a CRPG no less then DA is. DA has JUST as much action as FO3 does. So DA is a 'action RPG too' then?

And I never said a CRPG needs to have jumping or crouching. Or even implied that. The question was asked and I answered. Nothing more.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Bloodlines, Oblivion, Fallout 3 RPGs with the simple abilities like crouching and jumping. It should be standard in any game like being able to look up at the sky. If you are going to make a game, it needs to measure up to the standards of similar games already out.

I'll obliviously be playing more of this game. Hopefully the RPG aspects of the game like the characters and story will make up for character control flaws and outdated graphics.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Bloodlines, Oblivion, Fallout 3 RPGs with the simple abilities like crouching and jumping. It should be standard in any game like being able to look up at the sky. If you are going to make a game, it needs to measure up to the standards of similar games already out.

Disagree. It seemed very apparent to me that the game follows more along the Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Nights 2 gameplay mechanics. If you want to just look at developer history, you can include KOTOR in there as well.

All three of the games you described are decidedly solo games, built around the idea of first person perspective. Dragon Age most definitely is NOT a game like that, and given that virtually the entire game is a party based game where you're encouraged to take control of each of the characters in your party, the games of Bloodlines, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 begin to drastically drift away from Dragon Age.

You'll have a much easier time making a list of similarities between other BioWare games and Dragon Age, then Dragon Age and games designed around a first person perspective.

I didn't have any issues with the controls and I didn't use the tactical combat slots at all. I just got those skills because they were prerequisites for some other ones.

My basic tactic was to first retreat, because why fight the enemy on the their ground which they prepared, with those goddamn archers and mages lurking behind barricades. I would have Morrigan throw a waking nightmare spell at the archers which made them attack the mages, and then while retreating I would have her throw a blizzard spell not on top of the enemies, but right down a path they would have to walk through. This was an excellent way of dividing their forces. My fighters would mop up any stray fighters while my mages did long distance attacks at confused archers and mages.

Sleep, Waking Nightmare and Blizzard is a good combo to use.

I'll obliviously be playing more of this game. Hopefully the RPG aspects of the game like the characters and story will make up for character control flaws and outdated graphics.

this whole statement makes zero sense to anyone who has ever played baldurs gate or fallout or even recent games like kotor or neverwinter nights 2.

No.

"They all have CRPG elements just some more deep then others."

So.... Smackdown vs Raw franchise is a RPG then. K, then.

Why not. RPG-lite sure but you have a RPG stat/combat system, make decesions in the game world as your character and a main storyline. Last I knew those are the basic qualifiactions for a CRPG. As been proven by CRPGs past and present linear or non-linear storyline does not make or break the label of CRPG.

But I see what you are trying to imply, In your world if it does not have dragons or mutants in it so it clearly can't be a CRPG.... Funny, reminds me of a PnP RPG by Steve Jackson (Of Car Wars fame) called 'Toon'. You played a cartoon character in a cartoon based world. Think a RPG based on the loony toons franchise. By your apparent logic that isn't a RPG either then. However the players of that game back in the day I am sure would disagree as I do here to you on the same principal.

And yes the modern GTAs I consider CRPGs too. Hell those stories, plots, acting, open world and how you can effect some of the game world surpases some games labeled as a strict CRPGs. Nothing prevented you from RPing and making choices in those games. Plus the skill based system was pretty neat. So yes those technically can be considered a CRPG. Were they as deep as other CRPGs on a RP level? No. But certainly on a minunum level at least they qualify in my eyes.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Disagree. It seemed very apparent to me that the game follows more along the Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Nights 2 gameplay mechanics. If you want to just look at developer history, you can include KOTOR in there as well.

All three of the games you described are decidedly solo games, built around the idea of first person perspective. Dragon Age most definitely is NOT a game like that, and given that virtually the entire game is a party based game where you're encouraged to take control of each of the characters in your party, the games of Bloodlines, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 begin to drastically drift away from Dragon Age.

You'll have a much easier time making a list of similarities between other BioWare games and Dragon Age, then Dragon Age and games designed around a first person perspective.

On all the FP games you listed I can also play in 3rd person. And can still jump and crouch. Just making the point.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Jumping and crouching? Really? That

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.