Monte's Dragon Age Thread

Monte Carlo

i looked at the rogue skills and cant think of a good reason to raise dex over 18

31 strength to get good swords, 18 dex to get access to coup de grace, the rest in cunning (for stealth and lockpicks) and con for hp?

am i missing something obvious that needs dex?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, it'll take a while before Morrigan will pick up Crushing Prison.

Anyway, are there any tactics against *insane* load times? It takes 2-3 minutes to load by simply changing floors in Redcliffe Castle... I suppose this is a sloth demon at work?

Apply the RAM before loading? ;)

I've found loading times to be a bit wonky at rare times, I usually only experience around 2-8 seconds of loading, but sometimes it'll take around a minute.. this is usually if I enter a shop and then quickly leave again.

Fortune favors the bald.

my load times are about 10-30 seconds ... so far maybe they will get worse later?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, it'll take a while before Morrigan will pick up Crushing Prison.

Anyway, are there any tactics against *insane* load times? It takes 2-3 minutes to load by simply changing floors in Redcliffe Castle... I suppose this is a sloth demon at work?

Force Field works at first too ;)

What processor are you using?

There seems to be an issue with load times, and at first I thought it might have something to do with 64-bit OS's, but now it seems like there might be issues with the threading.

am i missing something obvious that needs dex?

Maybe to get a ridiculously high defense. Since rogue isn't going to wear Dragonbone armor...

right, but in theory the rogue shouldnt be getting attacked, and if he does get attacked hes got pumped con, or are you suggesting i pump dex instead of con and just rely on not getting hit instead of being able to handle a few hits?

Force Field works at first too ;)

What processor are you using?

There seems to be an issue with load times, and at first I thought it might have something to do with 64-bit OS's, but now it seems like there might be issues with the threading.

I have AMD Phenom 9500 (quad-core) on Vista 32-bit. But I notice when I restart the game, the loading times are normal (< 10s). Maybe it's because I use quicksave a lot?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I don't think I put a single point of constitution on my rogue.

what was your rogue build, i want details, because you seem pretty happy with him and now i need to know! stats and skills plz!

;)

I don't remember my specific build throughout the game. I ended with this:

Str: 25

Dex: 38

Wil: 20

Mag: 13

Cun: 47

Con: 14

Specializations: Assassin, Duelist

Skills (asterisk denotes not used that much):

Persuade 4

Stealing 1*

Trap-Making 1*

Survival

Poison-Making 2*

Combat Training 4

Combat Tactics 1

Talents:

Rogue

Dirty Fighting, Combat Movement, Coup de Grace

Below the belt, Deadly Strike, Lethality

Lockpick/traps 4

Stealth 2

Dual Weapon:

Dual-Weapon Training, Dual-Weapon Finesse, Dual-Weapon Expert, Dual-Weapon Mastery

Dual Striking*

Dual-Weapon Sweep, Flurry, Momentum, Whirlwind

All 4 assassin talents

The first two Duelist talents*

I had 25 strength because I had a trinket that gave me +2 to all attributes, and 27 strength let me use some really, really good weapons at the end.

My greatest damage dealt was 100 (though that may have come from the Fade, I really don't remember).

Something that is REALLY REALLY Irritating me is the too many areas where you cannot re-form your party. Take for instance I head to Denerium. Walk in and then go.. oh yeah.. I need Aleistar.... head back to camp. Head back to town. Then I forget... oh yeah I need Leliana... run back... forget it. QUIT GAME.

I don't remember my specific build throughout the game. I ended with this:

Str: 25

Dex: 38

Wil: 20

Mag: 13

Cun: 47

Con: 14

Specializations: Assassin, Duelist

Skills (asterisk denotes not used that much):

Persuade 4

Stealing 1*

Trap-Making 1*

Survival

Poison-Making 2*

Combat Training 4

Combat Tactics 1

Talents:

Rogue

Dirty Fighting, Combat Movement, Coup de Grace

Below the belt, Deadly Strike, Lethality

Lockpick/traps 4

Stealth 2

Dual Weapon:

Dual-Weapon Training, Dual-Weapon Finesse, Dual-Weapon Expert, Dual-Weapon Mastery

Dual Striking*

Dual-Weapon Sweep, Flurry, Momentum, Whirlwind

All 4 assassin talents

The first two Duelist talents*

I had 25 strength because I had a trinket that gave me +2 to all attributes, and 27 strength let me use some really, really good weapons at the end.

My greatest damage dealt was 100 (though that may have come from the Fade, I really don't remember).

awesome thanks so much for taking the time to do the write up ;)

I'm taking Duelist/Assassin as well, looks like a good enough combo. Dueling is really useful for dealing with thoseannoying Revenants and their weakness auras. I'm pretty happy with my rogue she's ripping stuff up left and right. I do wish that I could use skill points for lockpick/stealth instead of talent points.

Also, I really like the title music, it's nice and calm instead of the annoying in-your-face one in BG2.

EDIT: What's the consensus on armor for your tank-guy? Go all armor and take the fatigue penalty or try to balance them out?

Edited by Purkake

i still dont really understand what fatigue does and how it works....... ;)

"The tactics slots are groovy, it's just that you need to spend some time figuring them out (I was too keen playing to bother for about fifteen hours!)."

I agree. But, it takes time to figure things out espicially nif youa re a moron like me. When i first sued them i did it so quickly and obviously wasn't paying attention. My npcs were drinking potions non stop. I wondered what was going on so I dou8ble checked.. the greater then arrows was pointed the wrong way. L0L So, I basically had it set tod rink points when health is > then 25% instead of < then 25%. Doah. L0L Me = dumbnutz

"i still dont really understand what fatigue does and how it works....... "

It takes fatigue to use warrior/rogue abilities (much like mana is used for magic). Your equipment (most noteably armour) increases the percentage useage.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It takes fatigue to use warrior/rogue abilities (much like mana is used for magic). Your equipment (most noteably armour) increases the percentage useage.

so you have stamina/mana cost AND cooldown on powers? im still just starting so i hadnt really noticed this distinction yet

@Purkake

I didn't play around too much with my dueling to be honest. The passive bonus just seemed better when I unlocked it. It could have been useful to get

I didn't worry about the fatigue penalty with my tank.

Edited by alanschu

so you have stamina/mana cost AND cooldown on powers? im still just starting so i hadnt really noticed this distinction yet

You got it right.

As for Assassin specialization? Is that companion the only source of getting it? Or is there really a manual for it somewhere?

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

"so you have stamina/mana cost AND cooldown on powers?"

Yes. It's the yellow bar where the mage's blue mana bar would be. Stamina regenerates faster than mana does though but there's no p;otion (that I know of) that you cna drink to fill it up. There are spells to fill it though.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As for Assassin specialization? Is that companion the only source of getting it? Or is there really a manual for it somewhere?

I am not aware of a book, but I also didn't need it so I wasn't looking for it. I'm unaware of one sorry :(

There was supposed to be a book at the very end of the game for the Assassin specialization according to some posts somewhere.

It's much easier to just use Zevran and then throw him aside like the wet rag that he is.

All the stamina/fatigue/mana stuff is explained pretty well in the codex tutorial section, it's not really hard to understand.