new hard drive

Walsingham

It seems that after several years I have actually RUN OUT OF SPACE ON MY HARDDRIVE. I noticed all kinds of weirdness, and eventually had a look at the spare capacity and found I had just over a gig spare. Even a thunder-head like me knows this is bad. I've managed to delete older games, and some media files and freed up 12 gigs, but even so this is pretty dire.

Two questions:

1) Is this a decent hard drive?

2) How will I go about transferring everything? The fine details I shall leave to my bribed techie friends, but I need to know the overall campaign plan.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

1) Is this a decent hard drive?

Is what a decent a hard drive? I see nothing. :shifty:

2) How will I go about transferring everything? The fine details I shall leave to my bribed techie friends, but I need to know the overall campaign plan.

How big is your current, full drive - ie, how much more do you need for it to last you a while? How much of it has to be on your main computer, vs. either backed up and/or just accessible occasionally?

There's a few main ways I deal with storage issues.

1-external drives you know about. You buy one or two, dump everything you want to transfer on it, buy the new HD, and when you have it all ready w/the OS etc. you dump everything back on to it.

2-Buy a 2nd (and 3rd, if you want) hard drive, install it on your PC and use it as a data drive. That way you don't have to transfer anything or reformat initially. Just plug in the new 2nd drive and dump your space-hogging data onto it. Your main HD/OS programs can see & access data on the extra drives, so you don't need to have anything but the actual running programs on your "main" HD. My "C" drives are relatively empty most of the time. :)

Thus if I need to reformat the OS HD, there isn't tons of stuff on it to worry about in the 1st place, because it's all on the data drives. Just backup bookmarks, email files, that sort of stuff before a reformat.

3-if you have more than one computer w/a LAN, you can temporarily dump data onto it, then dump it back to your pc.

If you're concerned about trying to transfer programs wholesale onto a newly installed/formatted HD, so you can have all your settings, mods, etc back in one shot, that's a crapshoot. Sometimes it works to install the basic program then copy everything from the old, backed up Program Files folder into the new install folder & overwrite and it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What's suitable will depend if you want to replace or simply add to your current drive. For a second drive purely for storage I'd go with a 5400rpm drive like the WD Green series or Samsung F2. For a system drive, if you don't want to spring the cash for an SSD, a WD Black, Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 would be more suitable.

Just don't get a Seagate 7200.11 since they were prone to spontaneously bricking.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Sorry about not actually pasting the link. My current drive is 300gb, which was three times my previous one and therefore I assumed was inexhaustible, but of course media came along... then there's the games.

I was thinking one of those green jobbies, with 1.5tb. I figure once I fill that up technology will have moved on anyway.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/C...l/WD15EADS.html

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Get one of those for storage and a Velociraptor for a system drive.. unless you can afford an SSD

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

*furious note-taking*

Wait. What the hell is an SSD?

-Elwood Blues

Solid State Drive. It uses solid memory circuits instead of magnetic discs, resulting in vastly increased speed and reliability. Expensive as hell, though Ive heard that there recently came some new ones that are good and cheap. I have no idea which ones that is.

Velociraptor for a system drive

claims raptor are loud

I have one working less than a meter from my head right now, I cant hear squat. It doesnt make anymore noise than a regular 7200rpm disk.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It doesnt make anymore noise than a regular 7200rpm disk.

The raptors are loud when they're working, the velociraptor isn't.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Anyway, If I would be going to get new HD's now, I might look for a cheap SSD for OS and probably Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB for the rest. Black series HD's are silent and have good performance. Green series is very likely slower.

Considering Walsh mentions filling up a 300GB HD I'd guess spending thousands for 500GB+ of SSD drives wouldn't be high on his list priorities. It certainly wouldn't be one of mine, at least.

But yea, you could have a SSD for the OS HD and a high capcity SATA for the storage, perhaps.

My personal opinion is I'll wait for SSD to 1-come down in price per GB and 2-improves upon it's longevity and other potential windfalls, first. I know they already have improved a lot, but not nearly enough for me to rush out and get one or three.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Western Digital Makes great harddrives in my personal experience man!

Green, is power saving and generally the slowest.

Blue, is more mainstream

Black, is the fastest...

I have a black 1tb drive that i just installed on Windows 7 home upgrade Premium. I did it, not a problem so far! Although it came with only 921 gigs on these platters. Its quiet, and fast.

I personally will hold off on SSD until they come with larger amounts of memory for cheaper the price. As of righ tnow its out of my price range.

So Walsh speaking of pricerange you could always save $20 bucks and wait until black Friday. I know i couldn't. :lol:

I need a new drive as well I, I have several OS, Ubuntu, two different versions of windows, one 64 and one 32 bit installed on the same drive. This is not a very good idea, and will probably end in misery. Whats the best value for money SSD these days ?

Best value SSDs these days would be the ones based on the Indilinx controlled, e.g. the G.Skill Falcon, the OCZ Vertex, the Corsair X series, the SuperTalent UltraDrive, the Patriot Torqx, the Crucial M225 ...and probably a few more - all these drives would be pretty much the same and lead the price:performance stakes. Intel X25-M is the market leader and is faster for most uses, and it's priced accordingly, especially given there is a worldwide shortage of them.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Its actually avatar beating on a townsperson on the docks of... the city where the evil priestess lives in Ultima 8. I Played that game til my eyes popped out of their sockets, it was so excruciatingly difficult and long. But I loved it. Never got farther than the fire people though.

I hope my lack of comprehension is just the flu...

You're saying there's two kinds of HD? And I should put my basic files on the SATA, and have one of these SSD things to run all the programs off?

Hrm... I wonder if i should just wait until next year and get a new PC? Surely if I upgrade far enough I'd need new macguffins to keep up with the HD?

-Elwood Blues

SSD's are new in the market, really fast, really expensive and still have small capacity. Buy only if you are loaded.

If you just need more space, just get a normal HD, like one of the Western Digital's Black series and you are good to go.

SSD's are new in the market, really fast, really expensive and still have small capacity. Buy only if you are loaded.

If you just need more space, just get a normal HD, like one of the Western Digital's Black series and you are good to go.

Nice and clear. Cheers.

-Elwood Blues

I'll be buying a new 2 TB harddisk soon, and I have a small and probably moronic question about it.

Its connection is SATA III, and as a tech noob I'm not entirely sure if this is compatible with my motherboard (which currently has two SATA II harddisks connected to it). Is there a difference in connection with SATA II, or does the III just imply a better speed/whatever...?

I'll be buying a new 2 TB harddisk soon, and I have a small and probably moronic question about it.

Its connection is SATA III, and as a tech noob I'm not entirely sure if this is compatible with my motherboard (which currently has two SATA II harddisks connected to it). Is there a difference in connection with SATA II, or does the III just imply a better speed/whatever...?

Are you sure the HD you're looking at is really SATA III because SATA II is often referred to as SATA 3.0Gb/s, SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 300.

SATA III, which will be marketed as SATA 6Gb/s, has a higher possible bandwidth (6Gb/s) over SATA II (3Gb/s). However, if you aren't using a good SSD then you aren't even using all the bandwidth that SATA II has to offer.

SATA III devices should be compatible with motherboards that have SATA II controllers -- I would get confirmation from the manufacturer or the product website before hand though.

I am seriously considering the 64 mb version of this http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1005/1/

It's about 20-30% cheaper than the competition, although not as fast. Should be a noticeable improvement in load times and boot times though, for the first time in, well more or less ever.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.