Dragon Age

Sounds like DA will replace BG2 as the giant king of Bio-RPGs.

It's about time.

= prepare for disappointment.

BioWare spent six years on DA:O. BG2 took them like two or three years? If BioWare fails to top BG2 this time I highly doubt they ever will.

Am I the only one concerned about the fact that the game is still very difficult even on the easy setting? That sounds very unfriendly for the casual game like myself.

Buy the PC version then wait for an easygame mod? It would be a nice change from the Beth mod scene if the most popular DA:O mod end up being a easier difficulty fix.

Edited by Masterfade

There is no death in game so who cares if the game is hard?

It's not like there is any penalty for failing.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There is no death in game so who cares if the game is hard?

It's not like there is any penalty for failing.

Er, continuing to fail and getting stuck?

Unlikely to happen since people are finishing it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, game reviewers who are actually paid to do it. It might only take a few deaths to turn off a more casual player, especially with a whole lot of other new games out there as well.

I'm sure the God mode cheat codes will all be available within minutes of the game's release. As will the All weapons, all potions, Max stats etc and so forth.

I'm sure of the players(not even talking about the console players) will go and search for cheats/trainers instead of playing another game.

Maybe, maybe not. Its up to them.

Some games are harder than others. I don't see the problem.

Considering about every single RPG released in the past decade is stupidly easy, I'd appreciate if people stopped complaining about the game's difficulty. It's not like they don't have any options. Not every game has to appeal to the same people.

In any case, I seriously doubt Dragon Age is any harder than, say, BG2.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

We'll see if there will be an actual problem, but most people don't finish games as it is.

Bioware has made enough games that one has to assume that if the game is balanced to be extra hard there's a reason for it.

I'm not a Bioware devotee in particular, but they've got a long history of game development behind them. I'm going to assume for the moment that they have some reason for doing what they do.

I'm not complaining, but if the game is "extra hard" for whatever reason it might effect the sales and turn DA into more of a hardcore wRPG-fans only game(which is probably what you want anyway) than a "Mass Effect with swords".

Eh, I don't really want anything, per se. Especially since, as far as games go at least, what I want has no effect on what I get, it seems kind of pointless to look at things that way. I take what I am given. As always.

Do you seriously believe that Bioware isn't smart enough to have considered the possible effects (or lack thereof) of difficulty on sales?

I mean, maybe they haven't. I don't know. It just seems unlikely.

"Play games for a living" is overrated - based on reviewers' commentary as a whole, either that doesn't really chalk up to much in terms of 'inherent skill level', and/or they tone down their own judgments for their own idea of the Average Joe.

Point is, Dragon Age looks to be harder than the recent offerings of mush. Whether this will mean a system that rewards tactical ingenuity remains to be seen.

If they had, why are most of the reviewers saying that it's hard and that they had to lower the difficulty at times? That's coming from people who play games for a living, if it's hard for them, it's going to be harder for Average Joe.

Maybe the goal of the game designers wasn't to appeal to Average Joe. Not all games have to have mass appeal.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If they had, why are most of the reviewers saying that it's hard and that they had to lower the difficulty at times? That's coming from people who play games for a living, if it's hard for them, it's going to be harder for Average Joe.

Well, my flip and snide answer would be that in this day and age game reviewers don't inspire in me any great confidence that they are knowledgable, reliable, have any idea what they are talking about, etc. So I'm not going to put a lot of stock in what they say.

My more thoughtful answer would be that maybe Bioware wants the game to be hard. Maybe they believe that given the current game systems, the difficulty is what they want to be.

Again, if characters don't die, the combat has to be harder to provide a challenge. Such would seem to be the logical thought anyway.

Considering about every single RPG released in the past decade is stupidly easy, I'd appreciate if people stopped complaining about the game's difficulty. It's not like they don't have any options. Not every game has to appeal to the same people.

In any case, I seriously doubt Dragon Age is any harder than, say, BG2.

Uh, that was kind of a strong response.

As I see it, nobody is complaining about anything, because we don't know what's there. My point was that it is possible to have frustrating difficulty in a game with infinite retries.

Also, if the mechanics gimp certain character concepts (like oh, the entire rogue class tree), difficulty could become restrictive. Hypothetically speaking.

As I see it, nobody is complaining about anything, because we don't know what's there. My point was that it is possible to have frustrating difficulty in a game with infinite retries.

Also, if the mechanics gimp certain character concepts (like oh, the entire rogue class tree), difficulty could become restrictive. Hypothetically speaking.

Those are both valid points. I certainly don't like having to play something over and over again just to get it right. As a matter of fact I hate it.

But as you say, we still don't really know how difficult the game is. Is it challenging? Or unplayable? Has Bioware misjudged the difficulty balance?

WHo can say at this point.

I just not too worried. Bioware isn't new to the idea of game balance.

"Play games for a living" is overrated - based on reviewers' commentary as a whole, either that doesn't really chalk up to much in terms of 'inherent skill level', and/or they tone down their own judgments for their own idea of the Average Joe.

Point is, Dragon Age looks to be harder than the recent offerings of mush. Whether this will mean a system that rewards tactical ingenuity remains to be seen.

Even people who actually play games for a living (QA) are not necessarily that good at playing games.

It would be nice if ĐA actually turned out to be moderately challenging. With the exception of Demon's Souls, every RPG I've played in the last five years (Obsidian's included) has been depressingly easy.

I just think if you are going to offer an easy option, then you probably should be able to play through the game with a minimal amount of skill. I have no problem with the hard difficulty being restrictive in its audience.

And I doubt Bioware spent ten years or whatever on this title to only capture a hardcore audience. They are definitely going for mass appeal.