Exercise

Walsingham

complex carbs like outmeal and multi grain will give you energy that releases slowly over time, instead of getting a rush of it all at once, then turning to sugar like most other starchy carbs. Although they do say if one wants to lose weight its best to run first thing in the morning, that way one isn't burning the food one just ate, but fat stored.

Do you run long distances or run in fast spurts while walking in between?

complex carbs like outmeal and multi grain will give you energy that releases slowly over time, instead of getting a rush of it all at once, then turning to sugar like most other starchy carbs. Although they do say if one wants to lose weight its best to run first thing in the morning, that way one isn't burning the food one just ate, but fat stored.

Do you run long distances or run in fast spurts while walking in between?

Good advice on the food. I'm not really fussed about losing weight. My aim is to get fit and strong. Therefore my primary concern is not being very low sugar after exercise, which prevents the body eating muscle mass to replace lost energy. Last night this meant brown rice and fish curry.

I run to whatever the Wall Chart of Mystary says. It's a mix. As you can see from the program described so far.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm just waiting for my lunch to settle then I'm off out in the lovely autumn sunshine on this punishing run.

Phase 1 people:

10 min warm up

1 minute fastest run, 2 minutes run slowly, repeat five times

10 min warm down

Phase 2 people:

10 min warm up

1 min hard run, 1 min recover, repeat 6 times

10 min warm down

~~~

Now I may not be sherlock holmes, but that looks like we fatties have a harder time this week. :p We don't even get to rest between sets. We just have 15 minutes hard bloody slog.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Woohoo! I just read that interval training is the best kind of training for when you hit that plateau of not getting any noticeable gains from your ordinary training. I will try this out tonight after work. I will probably puke from exhaustion, but it will be a good kind of puke!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I know what you mean. Nothing makes you feel more virtuous than exercising so hard that you puke.

Actually, on one occasion the PTIs made us do mixed exercise so hard that I nearly pooped myself. I actually fell out of the platoon at that point, reasoning correctly that it was the lesser of two evils for once. It wasn't so much the poop as the realisation that I'd catch it even worse for messing up my uniform.

-Elwood Blues

I obviously wasn't trying hard enough. I managed the full thing in one go with no rests which is good, but I ran it over my test distance and I only covered the mile and a half 25 seconds faster than my original time. I also didn't feel sick. Clearly not going fast enough on the sprints. Still, hopefully now I'll have the confidence to give it laldy next time.

Tomorrow is a rest day, then we have jogging and upper body on Friday. Details to follow on the day.

-Elwood Blues

Woohoo! I just read that interval training is the best kind of training for when you hit that plateau of not getting any noticeable gains from your ordinary training. I will try this out tonight after work. I will probably puke from exhaustion, but it will be a good kind of puke!

;) I know what you mean. I love the feeling of being sore as long as its the muscle repairing itself and not actual injuries.

A couple of my friends did a day of interval training. They will never do it again. :lol: They puked their guts out! But you can always condition yourself for it! Look at mkreku, taking the next step! By the way, a protein shake and fruit is good as a post workout, its the best time because the body is desperate for simple calories and fast protein, the fruit has insulin which also helps the protein distribute throughout the body. The more muscles you have the more calories you will burn throughout the day brosef! :(

Love peace chicken grease

-Ped

I'm suspicious of those protein shakes. Are they REALLY any use or am I ok waiting for a meal? For some reason I absolutely bloody love curry after exercise.

After the run I walked an hour to go to my training night, then on the way back realised I was probably overdoing things and putting the program at risk so I got a cab! :thumbsup: Finally enjoying a pale ale and waiting for my soup to reheat. Muscles gently steaming and crackling like a car at the end of a long drive. Heaven.

-Elwood Blues

Protein after a workout is essential since your body is in a state that increases protein absorption exponentially which leads to faster and stronger healing of the muscles. A protein shake is the easiest and most convenient form of protein; a meal that you've premade at home is fine as long as it is high in lean protein but time is a crucial element since your "superhuman protein state" doesn't last all that long. Ideally you want your protein during your workout but you have up to an hour afterwards.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I usually drink milk and eat a banana or two directly after an intense workout. I do this while cooking a real meal. Protein drinks are not really needed for the level of exercise we're on.

I usually drink milk and eat a banana or two directly after an intense workout. I do this while cooking a real meal. Protein drinks are not really needed for the level of exercise we're on.

Roger that. I'll pick up some bananas later today. Remember today is a rest day so naturally I'll be out drinking. -_-

-Elwood Blues

I'm suspicious of those protein shakes. Are they REALLY any use or am I ok waiting for a meal?
Protein shakes are mostly a waste of money. They aren't useless and actually have a good amount of protein per serving, but the only real advantage over anything else is convenience.

I recommend a handful of almonds (raw) or nuts right before your workout, and, for example, a serving of cottage cheese (oatmeal is a plus) right after. Don't bother with that fat-free crap, either. Starches are the enemy, not the fat in cheese.

Aim for five-six meals a day, all of which should contain some sort of protein (the source doesn't matter), and you'll be fine.

Milk is surprisingly low in protein (~3% in weight), and bananas are very high in sugars. Recommendable before a workout, not after. Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Milk is surprisingly low in protein (~3% in weight), and bananas are very high in sugars. Recommendable before a workout, not after.

The gym I go to has this monthly magazine where this method of eating was recommended. Milk + bananas. It even tastes good!

Well, sure. The wiki I posted a few pages back actually recommends milk as one of the main sources of protein... it's just that a gallon a day is a bit too much for me. -_-

But hey, if you reckon that's what you need, more power to you. I'm hardly an expert or anything.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You never see fat monkeys, do you?

-Elwood Blues

I'm suspicious of those protein shakes. Are they REALLY any use or am I ok waiting for a meal?
Protein shakes are mostly a waste of money. They aren't useless and actually have a good amount of protein per serving, but the only real advantage over anything else is convenience.

I recommend a handful of almonds (raw) or nuts right before your workout, and, for example, a serving of cottage cheese (oatmeal is a plus) right after. Don't bother with that fat-free crap, either. Starches are the enemy, not the fat in cheese.

Aim for five-six meals a day, all of which should contain some sort of protein (the source doesn't matter), and you'll be fine.

Milk is surprisingly low in protein (~3% in weight), and bananas are very high in sugars. Recommendable before a workout, not after.

Hmmmm 213374U Everything I've been taught you seem to believe the other way. Yes Protein shakes are mainly a great advantage, I agree on that. But Cottage cheese is high on fat and if one eats fat after a work out, it gives energy released slowly over a long period but It slows the system down. In fact One wants starchy foods with high calories and low on fat! They are simple calories that digest quickly! THe body wants those calories ASAP after w workout! So thats why these simple starchy carbs are better then even complex carbs for this purpose.

Whey Protein and Whey Isolate protein which digests even faster for faster protein consumption is great and the sugar in fruit Mkreku is good for an after workout too because It helps release Insulin and will carry the protein throughout the body.

For a pre workout I Usually have a complex carb like oatmeal with raisins, maybe some almonds too since they are complex and have fat in them. But RIGHT AFTER the workout its a shake and some kind of fruit. Then after that digests for about an hour Ill have a real meal. I personally haven't found protein to be any use any ther time then after a workout and real meals provide proteins that last longer then protein powder. So fish chicken turkey beans etc... are recommended more any other time.

I'm feeling antsy today, which is great as I know from previous experience this is the sign my system is notching up a few steps. I may do a few situps and peressups just to burn the excess energy, and we'll be walking around this evening of course.

-Elwood Blues

Hmmmm 213374U Everything I've been taught you seem to believe the other way.
Well, where have you been taught, and by who? All I'm posting here I've read from books, so you could say I'm self-taught. I have no official credentials or anything.

Yes Protein shakes are mainly a great advantage, I agree on that.
That's the opposite of what I said. Commercially available shakes are only good for convenience, if you are lazy, or if you don't have much imagination.

But Cottage cheese is high on fat and if one eats fat after a work out, it gives energy released slowly over a long period but It slows the system down.
What do you mean "it slows the system down"? And where do you get your nutrition facts? Cottage cheese is less than 10% fat. And if you absolutely, positively need to cut ALL fat from your diet (which is madness, btw), there's also a 0% variety.

Cheap and high in protein. Does it get better?

In fact One wants starchy foods with high calories and low on fat! They are simple calories that digest quickly! THe body wants those calories ASAP after w workout! So thats why these simple starchy carbs are better then even complex carbs for this purpose.
What for? What do you think your body does with the carbs it isn't burning? Yeah, it turns them into fat. We don't want that. One of the goals of exercise is burning calories, and those come mostly from carbs. Why would you want to replenish what you just burned?

Of course, if your goal is to grow, you'll need to eat more calories, but in that case you're better off getting those from complex carbs that take a while to process. Simple carbs = bad.

Or, you could just chow down a ton of candy after the workout. They are 100% fat-free, and the body demands that you replenish your glucose stockpiles! :sorcerer:

Whey Protein and Whey Isolate protein which digests even faster for faster protein consumption is great and the sugar in fruit Mkreku is good for an after workout too because It helps release Insulin and will carry the protein throughout the body.
Protein is protein is protein. It doesn't matter if you get it from egg, whey or soybeans. Most muscular repairs happen while you're asleep, anyway.

All I said is that a banana has, for a fruit, a high sugar content (about twice as a Granny Smith). I'm interested in that comment you made that insulin helps carry protein through the body. I don't think I've heard that before, can you elaborate?

But RIGHT AFTER the workout its a shake and some kind of fruit. Then after that digests for about an hour Ill have a real meal. I personally haven't found protein to be any use any ther time then after a workout and real meals provide proteins that last longer then protein powder. So fish chicken turkey beans etc... are recommended more any other time.
Again, protein is protein. I agree with your strategy, but that goes against what I said... how? Edited by 213374U

I mean to cut fats out of the post work out only so it doesnt slow the metabolism down. fat slows the absorption of the meal, which is the opposite of what you want after a workout. I kind of see where your going with this and I jsut have a different philosophy. I try to gain muscle to lose calories in the long run, thats why I eat simple starchy carbs after i eat because they metabolize much faster then complex carbs after a workout, which is what I want, again to gain muscle. I want to replenish what i just burned because it will soak up calories to turn into muscle. The muscle needs to grow and reapir itself, it needs calories to do that, and fast.

"The mixing of carbohydrates, fat, and protein not only slows down the gastric emptying (empting of the stomach into the small intestine) it also changes the rate of absorption because these nutrients compete for absorption, and damages certain nutrients because they stay in the acidic gastric (stomach) juices too long. " - bodybuilding.com

The post workout is all about fast absorption if one wants to gain muscle. Some proteins break down faster then other. isolaltes are faster then regular whey and hydrolized are even faster then isolates.

As for the insulin I need to look that one up, its been awhile!

Yeah, I've seen this post-workout window thing before. Never seen it adequately supported, tbh. More like the opposite, actually.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves.

:lol:

But hey, as I said to mkreku, whatever works for you, man.

Edited by 213374U

Yeah, I've seen this post-workout window thing before. Never seen it adequately supported, tbh. More like the opposite, actually.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves.

:lol:

But hey, as I said to mkreku, whatever works for you, man.

Top Ten Myths

6. The best meal to consume following a post workout meal is a good SOLID meal.

This is where we can start to apply some of the novel information presented above. While we know that our post workout window (is it really even a window any more? 24 hours is more like a giant garage door) lasts for at least 24 hours, we can

This is from the same page man. And its saying to take 2 servings of a protein shake this time lol One right after and one a little latter on. A Protein shake after a workout is fine, especially for muscle growth.
Er, not quite. It says "protein shake" in that website, but in the paper it uses for reference it doesn't say it has to be a "protein shake", at all. They used essential aminoacids for the study. Which, for the purposes of our discussion, I'm assuming it means pharmacy-grade. And since the protein you get from commercial shakes is mostly whey, which you can get from the cottage cheese I mentioned earlier, I reaffirm my earlier statement that commercial shakes don't offer significant advantages over regular food. Homebrew shakes are a different story.

Clicky

What we were discussing is the need to replenish your glycogen reserves RIGHT AFTER the workout. The myth page shows evidence against that AND the existence of a brief "post-workout window", which you appeared to be mixing.

My Google-fu is second to none, grasshopper.

Phase 1 people:

15 minutes jog-walk ( I assume this means three blocks of five or something)

3x Press ups max

2x 7 dorsal raises

2x 7 tricep dips

3x sit ups max

~~

Phase 2:

10 min warm up

12x circuit training exercises

10 min warm down

[i assume you recall the list, if not it's on earlier pages]

-Elwood Blues

I knew you'd all be clever enough to work out that Sunday was a walking/rowing/swimming day. I didn't walk at all on Sunday, but I walked for about six hours on Saturday so I excused myself.

Today we have

Phase 1:

15 minutes jog-walk ( I assume this means three blocks of five or something)

3x 1/3rd Press ups max

2x 8 raises

2x 8 tricep dips

3x 1/3rd sit ups max

Phase 2:

20 minute steady run

3x pressup max

3x 14 lunges

3x sit ups max

3x 14 dorsal raises

~~

We're onto week 4 now, so I'm quite pleased. It's definitely been easier to stick to the exercise with the plan, and also keeping this blog going.

-Elwood Blues