Exercise

Walsingham

Question: why are you putting the cardio work BEFORE the strength exercises? Is this a homebrew routine, or...?

It's the Army's special program to get you fit from nothing, basically. PTIs may be total fething abstards, but they know fitness.

A dorsal raise is when you lie flat on your belly and arch you upper body back.

A tricep dip is when you turn your back to a low wall or bar, put both hands to either side of you, and lower yourself down and up. They seem really easy at low numbers and kill at higher numbers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I knew I had lost a lot of strength and conditioning the past few months by doing, well, nothing, so I used this as an excuse to get back into it.

My numbers are appalling, but a start:

Pushups: 30

Situps: 32

Run: it was 12 PM so no run.

I can only do it on a treadmill, and that's plain cheating.

I tried this today at the gym. Ran 1.5 miles in 10.20 on the treadmill, so yeah.

Oh yeah, I went to the gym with a friend so I missed today's regime. But I think I covered most of it anyhow since we were doing a kind of "rehab" run: everything once. I'm exhausted.

The prettiest girl I know has a six pack. Now that's motivation for you!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ow.

Ow ow.

I thught the run was a bit weedy, so I ran the fourth block uphill, and the final block at full pelt. I was faster than I expected but I was fire engine red by the end.

To my surprise I actually managed the full set of press ups, doing three blocks of ten, one five, one three, and two for luck. This was actually bad of me, since one of the points of doing a regime is not overdoing it.

The sit-ups really began to hurt at forty, so I switched to blocks of four, and managed to get to 57 before I listened to the hot stomach graunching feeling.

tricep dips - predictably - hurt like an indecent sex act, since my ribs will never properly heal (apparently) . but nothing went pop, so that's a win. :thumbsup:

~~

As an aside, I don't know how you can run on a treadmill. Bloody boring.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Tomorrow is a rest day, so give it laldy today, gentlemen.

-Elwood Blues

What motivates me is when an e-friend tells me his 120 pound girlfriend squats 250 and benches 205. My squat is almost there, in fact over the last 4 weeks I've gone up 40 pounds. I hit 225 last week and could very reasonable hit 245 but that would likely be my max at this point. My bench is pretty bad. I hit 205 about 2 weeks ago but the week after that I had somehow lost all my strength and was only able to put up 185 5 times. Unfortunately I haven't gotten past that since however that's mainly due to having an absolutely atrocious diet, horrible sleep, and working out past 10 pm which should be when I'm sleeping.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

You fantasize about the super hot girl with a six pack. Time flies!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What motivates me is when an e-friend tells me his 120 pound girlfriend squats 250 and benches 205. My squat is almost there, in fact over the last 4 weeks I've gone up 40 pounds. I hit 225 last week and could very reasonable hit 245 but that would likely be my max at this point. My bench is pretty bad. I hit 205 about 2 weeks ago but the week after that I had somehow lost all my strength and was only able to put up 185 5 times. Unfortunately I haven't gotten past that since however that's mainly due to having an absolutely atrocious diet, horrible sleep, and working out past 10 pm which should be when I'm sleeping.

His girlfriend, you say?

But hey, at least you stay motivated. More than I can say for myself.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I used to spend a lot of time working out. Every day of the week. For years.

Then suddenly, for some reason, I realized that it wasn't actually making my life any better.

So now I walk a lot just to stay reasonably healthy as part of my day to day routine and eat mostly fruits and vegetables. But that's it.

So anyway, tonight I jiggled my fat, ate some crackers, and went to bed.

Never been happier. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You fantasize about the super hot girl with a six pack. Time flies!

:lol: I tend to go for the 1940s 'Dita'/Audrey Hepburn look. Although I must say few things are quite as galling as a gf with no physical energy. Which is why i no-longer have anything to do with those stick thin women.

-Elwood Blues

Perfect autumn day here. Am enjoying my day off exercise with a bottle of imperial stout and some reading in the crisp clear sunshine. Looking forward to exercise tomorrow.

-Elwood Blues

LOL I'm so out of shape my crap workout two days ago has me pretty stiff today actually!

I was starting to feel it last night, so instead I opted to do some bicep curls instead of pushups.

That way I'm at least doing something to burn some calories and gain some muscle mass.

If you want muscle mass, curls aren't a great way to achieve that goal. For the most part curls are pretty worthless. Isolation exercise, no real practical application, and everyone hits a plateau on them really fast. You can get ripped arms + ripped back doing various row exercises. And hey there's the added benefit that you won't be a prick while doing them.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm just doing stuff at home.

At this time I have no plans to actually go back to the gym.

Also, I do know that curls don't have any real practical application. That being said, they are convenient to do at home with a not so serious exercise.

Trust me, at this stage, there will be increased muscle mass.

Nope, but they are convenient as hell ;)

I don't have any real means to resistance train my legs (the two dumbells I have are only 15 lbs) while at home, and my woeful shape at the moment had pushups and situps from the day before leaving me stiff.

The DOMS in my biceps and triceps now are indication enough for me that there were demands on my body.

I'm looking for exercises that coincide nicely with my "I get home from work late and want to be a lazy bastard" lifestyle at the moment, and they fit the bill :(

The pushups and situps worked well for between turn gaps in ETW, as did the curls (and tricep extensions). I am NOT looking to particularly bulk up or anything like that.

Off to bed late, so I'll get down the details of today (Saturday)'s exercise.

Phase 1 people (most of us including me):

10 Minute warm up

Run fast 30 secs, rest 2 minutes. 5 times.

10 minute warm down.

Phase 2 people:

10-15 minute warm-up

Run fast for 1 minute, run slowly for 1 minute, run fast for 1 minute, run slowly for 1 minute. Continue for ten minutes.

10 minute cool down

~~

Warming up and cooling down means doing a few stretches, and shambling about a bit, waving your arms and legs around to serve notice to your body it's about to do work, or can calm down.

Don't let the short length of today's exercise fool you. If you reallly push the speed on the running it will still leave you warmed through. It's the transitions which will get you.

-Elwood Blues