Swearing in computer games

Monte Carlo

Very good observation, Hell Kitty. Swearing for the sake of swearing, regardless in a game, movie, novel, or whatever the media shows poor writing. Swearing to bring out cultural flavor and character depth, swearing that serves a purpose, is much better.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I can't help but giggle whenever I hear things like 'knulla'. You all sound like demented fairies, and that's coming from an even worse sounding language.

Well, atleast we're not Finnish. Those guys have a weird friggin' language, its not even indo-european in origin like proper languages. Just alot of hakka-pakka-ykki-kykki :p

My personal favourite is "vittujen kev

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I fail to see what purpose it serves in Fallout 3.

It makes the kids seem like kids, instead of sanitized, Hollywood versions of children?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are several NPCs, like the ghoul in Point Lookout, with the kind of personality that you wouldnt expect to hold anything back. You take away a mans full range of expression, you take away a piece of the man himself.

...and there's the whole ridicilous american thing of "Its ok to blow a guys head of in a graphic fountain of blood and meat, but its TOTALLY OUT OF THE QUESTION to say ****!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

finnish stuff

The language still sucks. And they use our word for **** (kuk - kuka) as a verb or something that doesnt have anything to do with ****.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

finnish stuff

The language still sucks. And they use our word for **** (kuk - kuka) as a verb or something that doesnt have anything to do with ****.

You lost me on that one. There are no finnish equivalents of swedish "pitt", "snopp", "pillen" or "kuk" that are verbs. The closest thing perhaps, is "kuka" (pronounced "koka" with a very short "o", like the "o" in the swedish "kossa") which in english would be "Who" :p

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It makes the kids seem like kids, instead of sanitized, Hollywood versions of children?

It stunk of bad writing, rather than characterization. Especially considering that the entire Lamplight is designed in a metagaming kind of way - the kids know full well you can't harm them without mods.

finnish stuff

they use our word for the phallic organ (kuk -> kuka) as a verb or something

You lost me on that one. There are no finnish equivalents of swedish "pitt", "snopp", "pillen" or "kuk" that are verbs. The closest thing perhaps, is "kuka" (pronounced "koka" with a very short "o", like the "o" in the swedish "kossa") which in english would be "Who" :p

Thats what I meant. Its sick and wrong. And stop referring to us as 'Rottzi', its not even close to Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suecia/Suede/ and whatever the rest of europe refer to us as.

Nope, you are actually refered to as "hurrit" = people who always say "hurray, hurray!".

//EDIT: "Kulli" is the male genitalia, not testicle. My mind must've been wandering elsewhere.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

There are some interesting points here, as well as some fascinating Nordic swearing trivia that I never thought I'd find out about :p

I've nothing against swearing per se, as long as it's not for the sake of it.

In company of Heroes the developers have clearly tried to research swearing in a military context -they're about 70% of the way there which isn't bad for a RTC computer action game IMO. The soldiers swear under pressure, it actually adds to immersion.

In Fallout 3 it seemed a bit forced (a bit, "Hey, it's Fallout, right? LETS SWEAR!").

I really like the idea of someone developing new swear words for a fantasy game with a bit of a back story. I remember in the Judge Dredd comics there was a whole new urban argot for the Megacities that included lots of swear words.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The "weird language swearing 101" isn't really necessary. This is more about swearing in games.

It only really bothers me when it's really gratuitous, otherwise it might be just a little silly. A few games really get it right and apparently most devs are like kids when it comes to swearing.

I also seem to remember that guy in The Longest Journey hovering on a saucer, using extensive f's and sh's.

Look back to the first page.

Also, the words aren't really important, Farscape and the new BSG managed to get to point across with "frell" and "frack" just as well as any other show with real swearing.

Edited by Purkake

Also, the words aren't really important, Farscape and the new BSG managed to get to point across with "frell" and "frack" just as well as any other show with real swearing.

I don't know about Farscape :rolleyes:

Frell!

Dren!

Drannit!

Hezmana!

Greebol!

Loomas!

Fahrbot!

Tralk!

Mivonks!

Frelnik!

Thoddo!

Yotz!

I'm not saying that swearing is always dead serious, but when people swear in Farscape, I tend to get wide smile on my face :p

Ouch, right in the mivonks!

My point was that if you say frell as you would say ****, it would sound like swearing.

Maybe we should circumvent the language filter by using fictional swearing?

Frell you!

Shazbot!

Edited by Purkake